changes to Natural Balance ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just spent almost 50 bucks on a bag of this....JUNK!! Do I keep feeding it or go back to the Iams I still have until I get the allergy panel back? ARGHHHHH!!! I wish I had seen this a week ago!

How long before the panel is back? you could just stay on the bland diet till then

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
They told me Saturday a week and a half to two weeks. Here's the problem. He has always been on IAMS lamb and rice, but fiance bought, for whatever reason, a huge bag of Iams chicken a week ago and was giving him that, so that was a change in itself, but he was doing fine, stool wise. (I think he's allergic to it though) Now I have a huge bag of Natural Balance lamb and rice I have been doing half and half since Thurs. He seems fine, despite the fact he has an abscessed tooth that's going to be taken care of and a coayt that looks flea bitten, :( but his appetite is good, he's his happy self, and isn't scratching - he never scratches, which is weird.... I added yogurt the last two nights and he's gotten a strong antibiotic the last two nights for the chin acne, so I don't know what to think, argh!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They told me Saturday a week and a half to two weeks. Here's the problem. He has always been on IAMS lamb and rice, but fiance bought, for whatever reason, a huge bag of Iams chicken a week ago and was giving him that, so that was a change in itself, but he was doing fine, stool wise. (I think he's allergic to it though) Now I have a huge bag of Natural Balance lamb and rice I have been doing half and half since Thurs. He seems fine, despite the fact he has an abscessed tooth that's going to be taken care of and a coayt that looks flea bitten, :( but his appetite is good, he's his happy self, and isn't scratching - he never scratches, which is weird.... I added yogurt the last two nights and he's gotten a strong antibiotic the last two nights for the chin acne, so I don't know what to think, argh!!

I guess it won't be too bad to leave him on the IAMS (:barf:) until you get the panel back and then make the choice of a better food and the switch. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] @jakisgreat [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ???

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the advice - should I go back to whole serving of Iams tomorrow? With some pumpkin you think? I see some people here are successful with Natural Balance right now, so I don't know what to think/do! Thanks for any help/thoughts on this.
@cowsmom @jakisgreat @desertskybulldogs [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Last edited:

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(And this is why he's always been on IAMS, every time we had gradually introduced the new foods his first year (Royal Canin, Blue Buffalo) he got diarrhea to the point fiance got upset and said to leave him on the IAMS. I can see why he thinks this, you're spending a lot more money , make special trips to the pet store, and then the dog is sick for weeks and the expensive food is chucked. :() I hope I can find something good for him soon, dying to get the panel back.
I wish I knew if it was this new food or the antibiotic.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
look if the iams is working put him back on that all the way tomorrow. his system should adjust as he has been on it before. if there is a problem you can add some pumpkin. when you get the panel back then you can try something else. also when you get new foods buy a small bag to try. ive bought several small bags to test and then buy a bigger one. then you havent got alot tied up in the new food. its very hard to find a food for bullys that works and while i am not a fan of iams you are lucky to have something to feed your bully. let us know how it goes.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea and Bo have and continue to do well on Natural Balance LID Duck & Potato. The kibble doesn't smell any different than before and isn't different in appearance that I can detect and I'm "on it" with diet around here. This is the ONLY combo - they also get Nature's Variety Instinct Duck/Sweet Potato treats - that does not produce hives, bumps or itching or anything. While I planned to move them to one of the Earthborne Holistic varieties anyway, I see no reason to change their food if they're doing well on it. Of the gazillions of folks using this food, a few have had problems - but that's no reason to toss the entire bag. A bit alarmist, don't you think? For the purpose of full disclosure, they also get 1/4 cup Wellness Canned Duck/Sweet Potato made into a warm gravy mixed in AND either yogurt, scrambled egg or cottage cheese. Doesn't that sound YUMMY? :D hahahahahahaha

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bea and Bo have and continue to do well on Natural Balance LID Duck & Potato. The kibble doesn't smell any different than before and isn't different in appearance that I can detect and I'm "on it" with diet around here. This is the ONLY combo - they also get Nature's Variety Instinct Duck/Sweet Potato treats - that does not produce hives, bumps or itching or anything. While I planned to move them to one of the Earthborne Holistic varieties anyway, I see no reason to change their food if they're doing well on it. Of the gazillions of folks using this food, a few have had problems - but that's no reason to toss the entire bag. A bit alarmist, don't you think? For the purpose of full disclosure, they also get 1/4 cup Wellness Canned Duck/Sweet Potato made into a warm gravy mixed in AND either yogurt, scrambled egg or cottage cheese. Doesn't that sound YUMMY? :D hahahahahahaha

The more I thought about this last night, the more I was thinking this too. The Natural Balance didn't smell bad to me, but somehow, during tonight's feeding, I mixed again - he proceeded to only pick out the IAMS to eat - how, I have no idea how because watching him it looks like he's just inhaling it, but he left the 1/2 portion of Natural Balance in the bowl. I will just stick to his icky chicken IAMS until I get the panel back. This morning I wasn't able to get a look at his poop (and the wipe wasn't poopy when I wiped him) but I will keep an eye on it - he's a twice a day poop kinda guy. :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(And this is why he's always been on IAMS, every time we had gradually introduced the new foods his first year (Royal Canin, Blue Buffalo) he got diarrhea to the point fiance got upset and said to leave him on the IAMS. I can see why he thinks this, you're spending a lot more money , make special trips to the pet store, and then the dog is sick for weeks and the expensive food is chucked. :() I hope I can find something good for him soon, dying to get the panel back. I wish I knew if it was this new food or the antibiotic.

UGH --- Royal Canin is not a good food either.... Blue Buffalo is better. But, as [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] (she rocks with the food knowledge) stated -- put him back on the IAMS until the panel is back and then go from there.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.