Need some super quick advice on Lucy's eye!

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
Hi there-

I have Lucy in to the Vet today to have her Spayed. I had told the Vet that often her right eye (and right eye only) gets pinkish/red, and it looks as though her pink eyelid rolls over ere eyeball.

She's going under anesthesia @ 2pm and she recommends to do entropion surgery on the right eye only. Should I have this done? It's going to be an additional $200 - I'm not worried about the $, but just wanted to see if this was normal to only have one eye done. Is this totally normal?

Thanks so much

photo (2).jpg

Last edited:

Gail Ledesma

Jul 20, 2011
Sometimes just one eye needs to be done. Doesnt mean that down the road she wont need the other eye done. Better to get it done now.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Hey there... I haven't had to deal with this personally, but I know this can be a common problem for bulldogs since they have so many furry wrinkles on their face. I don't think it is uncommon for it to only be in one eye. If it is severe enough it can damage the surface of the eye. Sometimes, and very rarely, it corrects it self but usually surgery is needed. I know there are others on here who have had to deal with this and can give you more insight.
Good luck!

OP
grecoroman

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
Thanks so much - I added a photo of Lucy to see what it looks like - the eyelid will roll over the eye sometimes. Doesn't seem to bother her but I'm going to have it corrected now.

Thanks so much

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
if the vet recommends it, i would do it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Did they do the test that shows how much tear is being produced in each eye? HRH's vet discovered that her tear duct wasn't producing enough tear so her lower lid was sticking to her eye and turning the lid inward. He solved the problem by prescribing Optimmune instead of surgery like he first thought. Just something to bring up if you want.

OP
grecoroman

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
Did they do the test that shows how much tear is being produced in each eye? HRH's vet discovered that her tear duct wasn't producing enough tear so her lower lid was sticking to her eye and turning the lid inward. He solved the problem by prescribing Optimmune instead of surgery like he first thought. Just something to bring up if you want.

Hey there- no, the vet didn't recommend the test...

mygirlsmomma

Feb 14, 2012
Lake Stevens
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
My pup Ellie just had the entropion sugery Monday- my vet asked quite a few times if we wanted her spayed at the same time since there can be complications with the anesthesia. It would be nice for your Lucy to do all her healing at once, but whatever happens good luck!!! Hope all goes well:)

OP
grecoroman

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
Thank you all so much for the feedback. I decided to go and have the entropian surgery along with her spay. I just called to the vet to check on her and they said she is doing really well. Thank God! I was so stressed about it and now I feel so elated to know she is OK. We can pick her up tomorrow at 2pm.

Best to you all-

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Wilson had it done on both eyes but he had an ulcer on only one eye that was caused by the lashes rolling in and irritating the surface. I'd go with the vets recommendation. Ulcers leave scar tissue and you don't want that either. You can always do the other eye later if need be. Gives you time to save up $$$ in case.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I'm so glad she is doing well. I bet you can't wait to see her tomorrow. Then the real fun will begin... trying to keep her calm and from messing with with those stitches!

Rook's been a terrible post-op patient after he was neutered last week. He keeps running around trying to jump and play... doesn't seem to understand why I keep trying to stop him. Hopefully Lucy will be more willing to follow the vets orders! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all so much for the feedback. I decided to go and have the entropian surgery along with her spay. I just called to the vet to check on her and they said she is doing really well. Thank God! I was so stressed about it and now I feel so elated to know she is OK. We can pick her up tomorrow at 2pm. Best to you all-

So happy to hear she is doing well... good move getting everything done at once to avoid additional surgery

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.