honest opinions please

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
where to start ,please bear with me!!,ive posted many times regarding annies itch ,and come to many conclusions as to whats making her itch,in the past ive given her antihistamines and they didnt do her any good they had no effect,well over the weekend she broke out in a really bad case of hives ,i gave her antihistamines and they worked really well ,the hives went within hours,we know the hives were a reaction to connifer tree sap.so my question is ,if her itch was a true allergy surely they would stop the itch?,i got annie at 12 weeks and within a month of getting her i was signed off work ,so for 6 months it was just me and annie and as i could barely move we just sat ,after my op i went back to work and that is when her itching started ,i had not thought about this really until my son pointed it out,ive noticed that she doesnt itch until we get a visitor,she knows its feeding time,she sees me comming in the kitchen on getting her up,it seems to be anytime shes is excited,she does not itch at all whilst playing with her kongs,out on walks,or anytime she is occupied,i telephoned the breeder to pick her brains a little and mentioned that i may get another dog for company ,and the breeder agreed that it may all stem from me going back to work and that i should let her have her own litter as it settles a bitch down ,i have talked to the vet regarding the breeder as we use the same vet and he told me that there is no allergy running through the lines ,so i would like your opinions please on what to do,also can i add ,i watch annie for 4 hours today she did not itch once then it came time for my husband to come in from work,annie stood patiently at the patio doors ,no itch ,then her came home and the first thing she did was have an itch ,we told her no and she stopped!!!,im sorry for going on regarding this old subject but i do value your opinions,thanks,karen

C

Cooper11

Well I think a friend would be good for her. As I watch my bullies play I could not imagine then not having each other.....Were you planning on breeding her or was it just a thought becase of these circumstances????

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
as i have had bulldogs for the last 25 years but also 5 kids along the way i have never had time to show/breed,but now i have the time i decided to show annie then let her have her own litter in the hope that she would throw a good pup also for showing,so yes i had planned to breed her,i know in my heart that a doggie friend will settle her, as we know they are pack animals and i believe they fair better with another dog ,i really do not know what to do ,but seeing her reaction to the antihistamines at the weekend and how well they worked on a true allergy but fail to do anything with her general itch i am leaning towards her itch being a habit now,,karen

L

Lucy-licious

It sounds like a habit brought on by exciement, maybe trying distraction will work and help her break the habit of itching. A bully friend would be a perfect disraction and I believe she is the perfect age to be thinking about a new pup. We are thinking about getting a playmate for Lucy too but so far have not found the right breeder or pup :(

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
It sounds like a habit brought on by exciement, maybe trying distraction will work and help her break the habit of itching. A bully friend would be a perfect disraction and I believe she is the perfect age to be thinking about a new pup. We are thinking about getting a playmate for Lucy too but so far have not found the right breeder or pup :(
you have just missed the most beautiful litter bred by brenda price who has eschlusham lines ,i know shes hopefully breeding at the end of the year i know its a wait but she breeds wonderful bulldogs,im going to try the water bottle on her,it works great with her naughty behaviour so it may stop this habitual all in the mind itch!!,karen

L

Lucy-licious

you have just missed the most beautiful litter bred by brenda price who has eschlusham lines ,i know shes hopefully breeding at the end of the year i know its a wait but she breeds wonderful bulldogs,im going to try the water bottle on her,it works great with her naughty behaviour so it may stop this habitual all in the mind itch!!,karen

I really hope its the answer to her problem :)

I am not really wanting a brother until June/julyish anyways as we are going away so at the moment I'm just browsing...but obviously if one stealds my heart I will be buying early. If you can offer any help in my search I would be very happy as I am looking for a male I can show this time, and am very "out of the loop" when it comes to good lines and breeders. I've been to a few local shows etc but TBH I am not that impressed with what I see here.

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I really hope its the answer to her problem :)

I am not really wanting a brother until June/julyish anyways as we are going away so at the moment I'm just browsing...but obviously if one stealds my heart I will be buying early. If you can offer any help in my search I would be very happy as I am looking for a male I can show this time, and am very "out of the loop" when it comes to good lines and breeders. I've been to a few local shows etc but TBH I am not that impressed with what I see here.
sure will ,i know its difficult choosing a breeder,i do love the eschlusham lines and was going to have 1 of brendas pups but my husbands job wasnt secure at the time so decided the mortgage came first lol,i got annie from carol newman she has wencar lines and has a beautiful stud called milo,i know she will be breeding again later in the year,browse their websites and take a look ,but you are right to take your time ,showing is what i wanted to do with annie but my back wouldnt let me ,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Well, Annie's gorgeous fur is a delight to behold. Her face is as white and clear as can be. (I am jealous!)

I hope the itch mystery is resolved!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Her itch sounds like an neurotic thing to be honest, related to being nervous/excited. Bunk eats grass ONLY when he is nervous or excited, no other times. I wonder if you could train it out of her with redirection and positive reinforcement? Anyway good luck on your search for answers!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree... sounds like an OCD issue when she gets excited to see her Mommy!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH has a neurotic licking problem. It definitely sounds like the itch could be the same thing. Hope the spray bottle trick works.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.