Dandruff and other problems

elyrig

Feb 16, 2012
SO-CAL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Eddie
We've had Angus for 2 weeks. I noticed he has white flakes on his coat, is it dandruff? If so what causes it? How can I treat it?
He has also had a little loose stool since we got him :nope:. The breeder was feeding him IAMS :barf: I'm trying to switch him to Fromm slowly.
He gets a lot of eye buggers, watery eyes and a runny nose from time to time. What can be causing this? How can I tell what he's allergic to? He's 4 months! Please help! I want the best for my Angus!

Attachments

• IMAG1214.jpg
    IMAG1214.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 702

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Just switching him to a better food might fix the problem. If not you can put him on fish oil pills. Eye boogers may also be food related. Iams is not a very good food.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
The food switch might clear up a lot of his problems. Frank has suddenly been getting dandruff since we moved and when it gets noticeable I just give him a bath using Selsun Blue shampoo and conditioning treatment with oatmeal.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When we got Punkin from my bf's friend's friend, he had horrible dandruff too and really red skin from all the scratching. He was being fed Royal Canin bulldog which is not the greatest food either. After a change in diet, he's become a new man. lol. His energy level increased too.

Last edited:

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Gio had really bad watery eyes and awful eye boogers in the morning but it has cleared up since we switched him to Natural Balance lamb and brown rice! I'm sure the food switch will help with the dandruff, watery eyes and eye boogers. Oh and by the way, Angus is super cute!! :luv:

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Switching to Fromm Surf and Turf cleared up a lot of Lola's problems, which were similar to yours. 3 weeks ago we started her on salmon oil for flaky skin/excess shedding. It is amazing. Her skin and coat look fabulous. SO much less shedding.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I forgot to add that the regimen we use for my boys' sensitive skin ... bathe them with oatmeal and aloe shampoo, rinse really well with water, then rinse them again with 1:10 white vinegar/water mix. Be careful not to get vinegar on their eyes, though, it really stings. For their face, we use Carolina Pet Pantry's blueberry facial wash. It helps with their tear stains, plus leaves them smelling great.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is probably the food... how far along are you in the switch to Fromm?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Selsun blue for bathtime will probably help, and don't forget salmon oil!

OP
elyrig

elyrig

Feb 16, 2012
SO-CAL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Eddie
The switching of the food is going very slow! He has a loose stool :nope: so I really don't want to upset his stomach anymore than it might already be.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.