Diarrhea/sore behind

suzybsyr

Jan 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey2
My little Jeffrey, who came home last week (he turned 8 weeks on 2/24), has had diarrhea since we brought him home. On Monday the vet put him on a low residual Iams food to try and help, but so far it's not doing the trick. His poor little fanny is red and sore.... he's dragging his little butt to try and get relief but it's making it worse! Is it ok to use some kind of diaper rash cream or cortizone cream to give him some relief!?! It's been a long time since i've had such a young pup in the house, is dirhhea normal when they first get home!?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I use the desitin white cream when mine get that way...

I

ImAGuinneyPig

Yes, you can use zinc cream (baby rash cream).

But all this diarrhea for this long seems a little off to me, personally. Obviously he has gone through some big changes (leaving Mom & littermates, new home, new people, etc.) and that is stressful.

Firstly, Iams is not a good quality food. Vets actually have little knowledge of pet nutrition. I would start doing some research. You want a grain-free food, no corn, no soy, no by-products. Fromm, Orijen, Solid Gold are some good foods. But definitely do your own research. I rely on my vet for a lot of things, but nutrition is not one of them.
Also, your dog may have allergies to certain proteins. Sometimes Bulldogs specifically have chicken allergies.
Could also be a parasite, like Giardia.
Or if you puppy has been recently wormed, some dewormers can cause diarrhea.
That's just off the top of my head. I would call your vet again.

Might want to try a bland diet, and some Pedialyte so he doesn't get dehydrated.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry to hear that. Poor baby. Did the vet take a stool sample? Switching food suddenly can cause diarrhea in it self and bulldogs usually have sensitive stomachs. Vets are really not the best people to give advice in feeding. I think a bland diet could be better. Feed him small portions of a home cooked bland diet about 3 to 4 times a day. Low fat meats such as boiled chicken or turkey with cooked white rice normally work best. Cottage cheese may be substituted for rice and 1 to 3 teaspoons of yogurt can be added to aid digestion. Feed the bland diet for a few days after the diarrhea clears up and gradually increase the amount. Wean your puppy back to his regular food over the course of a week by working in small amounts of his regular dog food. Make sure that he doesn't get dehydrated. Of course you can try to sooth him with some lotion, I've found that Aloe Vera is good. My Usko had diarrhea or loose stools as a puppy until we switched him to raw food.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
witch hazel is gentle and might help calm itchies if the skin is raw. Once that dries, then cream is good. Only had to do that twice, though.

Also, one teaspoon (start small) of canned pumpkin (not the pie mix, just pumpkin) works wonders for runny stool. Strangely it also relieves constipation. Kinda of magic food! Not a solution, but might help your puppy get through whatever is going on. Poor muffin.

C

Cooper11

Poor baby! Make sure you are wiping his butt after too poops! I agree with IAMS not being good food. We had Gacie on that when we first got her and she had soft poo. Acutually both pups did. He is also in a new environment so he may be nervous and that may be a cause of it slightly. Cooper and Gracie had soft stool it seems like forever! And I was sooo happy when they started pooping solids. Hang in there!!!

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
i used theraderm on my puppies--i think you can only get it from a vet. it worked wonders. also, bum-wiping is a necessity. once a week i use germi-stat in some warm water to disinfect (then dry). i have kept problems at bay.

OP
S

suzybsyr

Jan 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey2
Thanks everyone,

I wasn't sure if he was too young to do a bland diet. The vet did take a stool sample, which ruled out any parasites. And he has actually gained some weight since we brought him home, so that wasn't a major concern. I can just tell that he is irritable from it and in pain. When we brought him home the breeder gave us a bag of the food he was using (the brand name escapes me now) so there was no switch in that area. I assumed the first few days were from trauma, but as of tonight it will be one week with us and no relief. When I get home I can look up the exact foods we were given, from the breeder and the vet. I do wipe his behind and make sure it's clean with a warm wet cloth and luckily he can't reach his behind when I do put ointment on it:tease:

Other than this problem, he is doing amazing! Crate training has been a breeze, at 8.5 weeks old he already sleeps through the night and he has even been scratching at the back door to let us know he has to go outside. Now if only the teething and :poo: would stop, he would be perfect!!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor little guy.... you are on the right track with researching and getting him on a better food. Be sure to dry him bum after you wash it... keeping it dry will help not make it worse.
Also, I would put him on the bland diet so you can transition over to the new food from that and not keep him on the crappy IAMS :barf:

Good luck and keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.