Arthritis

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hey Everyone!

Due to some medical and food issues through the years, my Bailey (almost 9) is starting to show some evidence of bad arthritis. He takes Cosequin or the Glucosamine vitamins daily and yesterday my vet sent in a perscription for him for pain.

Does anyone recommend anything else I can do for him? Fish oils maybe? I just want to make him comfortable.

Thank you...

Lisa

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey Everyone!

Due to some medical and food issues through the years, my Bailey (almost 9) is starting to show some evidence of bad arthritis. He takes Cosequin or the Glucosamine vitamins daily and yesterday my vet sent in a perscription for him for pain.

Does anyone recommend anything else I can do for him? Fish oils maybe? I just want to make him comfortable.

Thank you...

Lisa

So sorry that Bailey is going through this! My mom has her 8 year old Boxer on the gluco tabs daily and she has seen improvements within 3months sometimes it doesnt work and further treatment is necessary! I hope and pray that things get better for Bailey and you get some info on this! There will definatley be others coming by to give some great advice! BTW He is so handsome! Love the avatar pic!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
My late Shepherd had bad arthritis, and now my Boston's ex-rays show it. For supplements: when we got Lupe, we started her on Missing Link Plus (I think it's called hip/joint ultimate now), which has the glouc/chrodrotin and omega's. I guess omega's help with anti-inflammation, as does diet, just like for us. It has flax. They make it for protein-sensitive dogs too.

I completely understand wanting to just help them feel better. The diet stuff takes time. For in-the-moment relief I would try my hardest to avoid the pain medication. Usually it's Rimadyl, which is really hard on a dogs organs BUT my Vet eventually said, look, it's okay, keep the dog comfortable. So...I went with half the dose for my shepherd, and I saw a big difference. I made her life much better, imo. Finally, I guess a short walk at a mild "trot" pace (really short) can actually help according to our Vet. Try telling that to a senior bully!!!

PS: I also sometimes would tuck my heating pad under her hip after I turned it off. Complete crazy mom stuff, but I imagined it felt good and the dogs seem to love the mild warmth.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I've had way too much experience with arthritis and my sweet dogs..even a cat! All breeds all ages! We did resort to accupuncture with a Rottie who had back issues. But it was done in conjunction with meds. It was awesome and while there, we saw lots of older dogs getting it for thir arthritic pain. The dogs love it and they really relax while there. Besides Rimayl...there is deramax...both we've used with success. I'm not one who is afraid of Rimayl. We used it on a couple Dobies with success and honestly..by the time in their lives you have to resort to meds..it's highly unlikely what side effects they have will be what causes the dog their lives. I'm always in favor of keeping them pain free or as close as possible. Good luck..

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I've read about the Nupro Joint Supplement...on the website they have lots of testimonials in regards to the joint version (of course they won't be putting any negative testimonials, so you'll have to take those with a grain of salt). I have never used it, so I can't speak from experience, just read about it. I recently ordered the regular immunity formula, so waiting to start that one. Just give it a looksy http://www.nuprosupplements.com/ :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our boy Nitschke had it bad at 7... we did stem cell treatments which was beyond amazing. Thanks to doing that -- he was a puppy again for the last seven months of his life.

Also, we gave him, before the stem cells, a shot of Adaquin once a month and deramaxx as needed.

OP
Lkane0322

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Thank you all so much for the ideas. Does anyone give the fish oil supplements? And if so what kind and how much???

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
You've gotten great advice, so I'll just say I hope Bailey starts feeling better soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all so much for the ideas. Does anyone give the fish oil supplements? And if so what kind and how much???

Yes.... 1200mg 2x a day. We just buy the big bottle at BJ's Warehouse that you would buy for yourself.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I give Gunny Tremadol for pain works well and I dont have to give it everyday, its a people med but is prescribed by vets and if get a prescription you can get from any pharmacy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.