scratching like crazy!!

darla and me

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
Darla has been scratching her belly/sides lately, and today I notice a blotchy pink rash. I have not changed food, but she did have 4 cheezits and tried banana over the weekend....Has anyone tried powder to relieve the itch ? Maybe baby powder? She scratched one of her nipples and now it is red and was bleeding a bit.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you can put some hydrocortisone cream on it for the itching. and neosporin on the bleeding part. could be either one. could be food to. how long she been on it?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can give her benedryl to help.... 1 mg per pound. My girl is 62 lbs and I give her 50 mg 2x a day as needed

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
pop a tshirt on her to prevent any infection,treat with nappy rash cream and no more treats lol,hopefully its those treats that have made her itchy,karen

OP
darla and me

darla and me

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
Thanks for the info...Does the Benadryl make her really sleepy (used to buy Mom a "good " night sleep with baby at times...). She has been on the same food for quite some time now. What kind of special treats do you all give your bullies? Carrots have been given since Darla was young as her breeder suggested them. I will not give Chezits again, susspecting that these are the culprit as I am sure they have many chemicals...

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well some bullys like frozen green beans, and some give bananas, i cook mine eggs twice a week, some give plain yogurt, some cottage cheese, long as there is no milk allergy, thats all i got now its early. yes benadryl makes them sleepy least it does mine for a bit. you can try zyrtec or just put some hydrocortisone on it to see if itch stops then if not something more can be given. prolly was the cheezits hope so.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH never acts like the benadryl makes her sleepier than usual. But she sleeps a lot like most adult bullies.

Have you bought anything new like a different rug or changed detergent or anything like that. Sometimes they are allergic to grass and wool or other things they come in contact with too.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Darla has been scratching her belly/sides lately, and today I notice a blotchy pink rash. I have not changed food, but she did have 4 cheezits and tried banana over the weekend....Has anyone tried powder to relieve the itch ? Maybe baby powder? She scratched one of her nipples and now it is red and was bleeding a bit.

My first bulldog suffered with itchy skin and I tried everything known to man - including weekly baths in super duper expensive shampoo - because I just didn't know any better. I never did give her Benedryl - I didn't know about that either - and I'm glad now as she has a heart condition that wasn't diagnosed until she was five years old. Anyway, had I done the simple thing and CHANGED HER FOOD, Mable wouldn't have suffered so. I'm certain of it. I feel terrible about that.

Take a long look at your dog's diet. It's hard, but stick to a program of "no no-no treats" and a simplified menu to isolate the problem. Cruise the Nutrition section here for ideas and post. That blotchy itchy rash will be history.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Everyone gave great advice so I don't know what else to really add. I know that our bullie Frank went through an itchy phase and I washed all his blankets and beds in sensitive detergent, then used prescription spray and creams....turned out it was these tiny flies in the grass that were biting him on his exposed skin areas and they were so small we couldn't see them. I hope Darla gets itch-free soon! Poor thing!

L

Lucy-licious

Just wanted to mention that Lucy reacts badly to banana...poor girl loves them too :(

OP
darla and me

darla and me

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
How are you all pasting the funny pic's at the bottom of your posts with the quotes? so cute! Well off to work :cry: darla and me 14w.jpg[QUOTEnothin like a wrinkly best friendQUOTE]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How are you all pasting the funny pic's at the bottom of your posts with the quotes? so cute! Well off to work :cry:[QUOTEnothin like a wrinkly best friendQUOTE]

It is the signature --- under settings -- left side bar 'My Settings' Edit Signature

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.