Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 117

Thread: Coughing & Throwup

  1. #1
    Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    302
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Coughing & Throwup

    Woke up around 3AM to Dozer coughing and hacking...it gave me quite a scare! I stayed with him until it passed and then he threw up a bunch of white stuff with some of his food inside....eventually it passed and he went back to sleep but he woke up a few more times doing it, although he didnt throw up. We are taking him to the vet today and I am so scared for my little buddy.

    I did a lot of google searching and it turns out that this is either expected for a young puppy (12 weeks old) or it's unexpected. He has been on amoxicilin for a little over a week now and he needs 1 more shot which we were supposed to get this Saturday....should I be worried???

    I heard it could be a reaction to something. The only thing I could think of is a new cleaner we have been using to clean up the floors in the house. Its an oxy type cleaner with baking soda that we got at Petco. I dont know what else it could be. We havnt changed his food or anything. I know we will be going to the vet but I really need to calm my mind...anyone here experience this before?

  2. #2
    Drool Catcher Poppy's Avatar
    Posts
    246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Poppy, Bunk
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Hi @BrooklynStar hang in there. Not sure about the coughing but just want you to know when my girl was a pup she threw up all the time (seemed like it anyway). Is there anything new in the house that could have stressed him out? For example when we moved homes Poppy was a wreck. But it could be something as little as a family member being away. Just throwing ideas out there since nothing is new for him and I know you haven't taken him outside yet. Could just be a fluke. Don't worry too much yet, he will sense your stress.

    Let us know how the vet goes!

  3. #3
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Saalwi's Avatar
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    838
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    110
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Coughing & Throwup

    I agree with Poppy. You're doing the right thing by going to the vet, keep us posted. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you....

    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

  4. #4
    Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    302
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Coughing & Throwup

    HI @Poppy

    I will keep you guys posted...it seems like a dry cough or to better explain it someone who is trying to cough up phlegm or mucus..it sounds sort of like that. There is nothing I could think of as to why he would be throwing up. We havnt changed anything in our routine...the only thing I can think of is the new cleaner OR when my dad came in he didnt take his shoes off and Dozer licked his shoes a few times before my dad was able to get away...that sounds silly but could that have sickened him??

  5. #5
    ImAGuinneyPig
    Guest

    Default Re: Coughing & Throwup

    Nothing more to add, other than you are doing the right thing by going to the vet. Will watch for an update Good luck!

  6. #6
    heff101
    Guest

    Default Re: Coughing & Throwup

    Change his food. Heff used to do that until we found the right type of food for him. He still does it but not as often nor as much. I think when they sleep everything relaxes and they just get a mucus build up in them and wake up hacking.

  7. #7
    Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    302
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Coughing & Throwup

    Quote Originally Posted by heff101 View Post
    Change his food. Heff used to do that until we found the right type of food for him. He still does it but not as often nor as much. I think when they sleep everything relaxes and they just get a mucus build up in them and wake up hacking.
    He's been on this food since we got him, which is about 2 weeks ago, and he never had any problem. Is it normal for his body to reject the food all this time later? We are going to the vet at 11:15AM. He threw up 3 more times since he woke up

  8. #8
    Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    ChanelnBrutus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,077
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Coughing & Throwup

    I agree with all the post! You are doing the best thing by going to the vet! It could be a number of different things! I will definalty be checking on an update! Hope Dozer feels better!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

  9. #9
    ..........
    Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,010
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: Coughing & Throwup

    sounds like allergies. sarah does this sometimes. i give her a benadryl when she stops and she doesnt do it anymore. can be environmental doesnt have to be the food i dont think. she does it more in the summertime than winter. ok so i missed the part about 3 more throw ups. i would def see the vet and let us know what the they say.
    Last edited by cowsmom; 02-28-2012 at 12:19 PM.

  10. #10
    Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    302
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Coughing & Throwup

    Just got back from the vet...they said he has a cough and took a chest xray which showed inflammation of the throat. They gave us more anti biotics and told us to run a hot shower in the bathroom to make it steamy and then sit with him in the bathroom (not in the shower) and let him breath in the moist air...and then they sent us on our way! Im not really happy with this vet and will make the hike out to the recomended one in staten island at a later date. I hope he gets better i've been crying all day.

    P.S The x ray also showed a lot of undigested food in his belly. After he eats he likes to run around and play but I am going to make sure that after he does eat he just relaxes in order to digest his food better. thanks everyone
    Last edited by BrooklynStar; 02-28-2012 at 01:00 PM.

  11. #11
    Drool Catcher Poppy's Avatar
    Posts
    246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Poppy, Bunk
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynStar View Post
    Just got back from the vet...they said he has a cough and took a chest xray which showed inflammation of the throat. They gave us more anti biotics and told us to run a hot shower in the bathroom to make it steamy and then sit with him in the bathroom (not in the shower) and let him breath in the moist air...and then they sent us on our way! Im not really happy with this vet and will make the hike out to the recomended one in staten island at a later date. I hope he gets better i've been crying all day.

    P.S The x ray also showed a lot of undigested food in his belly. After he eats he likes to run around and play but I am going to make sure that after he does eat he just relaxes in order to digest his food better. thanks everyone
    How long has he been on antibiotics and how long is the new cycle of meds? Just wondering because they kill a lot of the good bacteria in the stomach and a long round might be taking it's toll on his belly.

    Yes make sure he is calm after eating food for at least 30 mins. It causes upset stomach and vomiting. Here is some info on bloat: http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-healt...formation.html

    Did the vet say the inflammation in the throat was from vomiting or is it related to the cough? So sorry you did not get clear answers... Find a vet that you are comfortable with.

    Don't be upset, Dozer will get better We've all had our share of worrying about puppies. They are so resilient.

  12. #12
    Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    302
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Coughing & Throwup

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    How long has he been on antibiotics and how long is the new cycle of meds? Just wondering because they kill a lot of the good bacteria in the stomach and a long round might be taking it's toll on his belly.

    Yes make sure he is calm after eating food for at least 30 mins. It causes upset stomach and vomiting. Here is some info on bloat: http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-healt...formation.html

    Did the vet say the inflammation in the throat was from vomiting or is it related to the cough? So sorry you did not get clear answers... Find a vet that you are comfortable with.

    Don't be upset, Dozer will get better We've all had our share of worrying about puppies. They are so resilient.
    Thanks for the well wishes!

    He has been on Amoxicilin since Saturday 2/17...one pill a day....now they said to up it to two times a day. The vet said that the inflamation in the throat was due to the cough :shrug:


    I hope my little buddy is resilient...ever since I mentioned that I got my puppy from a pet store and that one user told me "good luck Dozer already has the odds stacked against him" I have been really upset and freaking out. I dont want a sick dog who will become my best friend only to have him die on me I know all pets die but I want him to have a long happy and healthy life...

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •