Coughing & Throwup

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
@BrooklynStar I've been away from the internet and I haven't had a chance to read all of the new posts on this thread yet but I will. I wanted to answer the pedialyte question asap.

I give Abby pedialyte every day with her meals as part of her therapy but it can be given any time there is vomiting or diarrhea to replace the electrolytes their bodies lose. I give it in place of water when she is sick. It doesn't have to be plain either. Abby loves the fruit flavors, I think grape is her favorite. Mixed berry is mine, I love it when she smells like a fruit cup :)

I am going to go back and read what I missed now. But please know what you and Dozer are in my prayers.

...edit...
The doctors in Tinton Falls are fabulous! If you can get her there I am sure they can help Dozer. I don't know where in Brooklyn you are but Red Bank Veterinary is only about 30 miles from the Outerbridge Crossing.

Give him the pedialyte (it's on sale at CVS this week... $3.52 a bottle for the store brand - I'm stocking up!). Give him HOT showers. I would try feeding him a tablespoon of food at a time. He hasn't lost his appetite, that in itself is a positive sign. A tablespoon of food every half an hour and see if he can keep that down. There were times I would sit on the kitchen floor with Abby and let her lick the applesauce from my fingers to get food in her.

The single most important thing that you can do is stay positive! Dozer feels your strength and energy and he feeds off of it. You stay positive for that baby and he WILL be fine!

You know, I can't help but wonder if Dozer and Abby came from the same store. I don't know where the lady I got Abby from got her, but she lived in Queens.

Hi @Twice

Thanks for the warm wishes and the advice...it means a lot however, I went out and bought Pedialyte and he puked it out right away :( He only eats ice chips at this point, but he did take a few gulps of water this morning.

I know it's been a couple of days since I followed up with you guys, I am sorry. I have been really busy over here. I think Dozer is starting to feel better...he has been keeping his food down (so far). As per the vet's suggestion we have been crushing his medicine up and mixing it with his Vet's Bland Diet formula mixed with some Nature's Variety Instinct Kibble; and he has been holding it, although he still has a cough that sounds congested. I'm not sure if he is better though, because there was a period of time last week were we thought he was holding his food for 1 or 2 days, but eventually puked it all out.

I feel so bad for him, he eats and then wants to play but the vet said to not make him run around after he eats...it's really hard to supress that instinct in him, so we have to keep him close by on the a leash to prevent that...he cant have any of his chew toys either, so he is extremely restless and bored. I feel so bad for him, this little guy has been through so much in his short life, and yesterday we tried to put him in his kennel after he pooped/peed and once we left the room he started bugging out and pooped all over his crate. I never seen so much poop and he pooped fairly good about 10 mins before we put him in there. I was only gone for maybe 20 seconds but I never seen so much poop, I think he has or is developing seperation anxietiy. Either that, or when he was at the vet's for 3 days they had him on IV and in the kennel so he must of been pooping/peeing in there. I know it's not his fault, he must be so confused. Although I must say, when he is out of his kennel, even when he was really sick he would poop/pee and even puke on the wee wee pads. He's very smart!!!

In any case, we are going back to the vet Thursday for another X-ray and check up...hopefully we get good news. I am hoping that once he gets his last shot we are able to put his restlessness as ease with toys and walks through the neighborhood. I just feel like this illness has taken us 100 steps back...I hope he doesnt develop seperation anxiety because 4 days out of the week he will be alone for about 4-5 hours. And it will really stink, literally, to come home and see him covered in his own feces. In the mean time I hired a local neighborhood girl to watch him for those hours while we are out. She has 3 dogs of her own so she knows what she is doing and we trust her.

I'll let you guys knows what the Vet says on Thursday.

Thanks!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi @Twice

Thanks for the warm wishes and the advice...it means a lot however, I went out and bought Pedialyte and he puked it out right away :( He only eats ice chips at this point, but he did take a few gulps of water this morning.

I know it's been a couple of days since I followed up with you guys, I am sorry. I have been really busy over here. I think Dozer is starting to feel better...he has been keeping his food down (so far). As per the vet's suggestion we have been crushing his medicine up and mixing it with his Vet's Bland Diet formula mixed with some Nature's Variety Instinct Kibble; and he has been holding it, although he still has a cough that sounds congested. I'm not sure if he is better though, because there was a period of time last week were we thought he was holding his food for 1 or 2 days, but eventually puked it all out.

I feel so bad for him, he eats and then wants to play but the vet said to not make him run around after he eats...it's really hard to supress that instinct in him, so we have to keep him close by on the a leash to prevent that...he cant have any of his chew toys either, so he is extremely restless and bored. I feel so bad for him, this little guy has been through so much in his short life, and yesterday we tried to put him in his kennel after he pooped/peed and once we left the room he started bugging out and pooped all over his crate. I never seen so much poop and he pooped fairly good about 10 mins before we put him in there. I was only gone for maybe 20 seconds but I never seen so much poop, I think he has or is developing seperation anxietiy. Either that, or when he was at the vet's for 3 days they had him on IV and in the kennel so he must of been pooping/peeing in there. I know it's not his fault, he must be so confused. Although I must say, when he is out of his kennel, even when he was really sick he would poop/pee and even puke on the wee wee pads. He's very smart!!!

In any case, we are going back to the vet Thursday for another X-ray and check up...hopefully we get good news. I am hoping that once he gets his last shot we are able to put his restlessness as ease with toys and walks through the neighborhood. I just feel like this illness has taken us 100 steps back...I hope he doesnt develop seperation anxiety because 4 days out of the week he will be alone for about 4-5 hours. And it will really stink, literally, to come home and see him covered in his own feces. In the mean time I hired a local neighborhood girl to watch him for those hours while we are out. She has 3 dogs of her own so she knows what she is doing and we trust her.

I'll let you guys knows what the Vet says on Thursday.

Thanks!

My goodness.... you must be exhausted - physically and mentally.

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
My goodness.... you must be exhausted - physically and mentally.

Considering I thought Bengay was my toothpaste this morning -- yes, lol I am absolutely exhausted. It's for a great cause though, we're just experiencing some growing pains. As he ages and we train him it'll get better, but beating this illness is priority number 1 now

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Holy crap. I don't know how I missed this thread. I am so happy that Dozer is getting better - he is right?

I also hope that you take some kind of legal action with that pet store. They need to stop getting pups from lowlife puppy mills or backyard breeder idiots (or whatever they're doing) and they need to be held accountable for what's occurred here; even if that just means negative press. Mom being a lawyer is just toooooo awesome to not take advantage of. Even small claims court can be painful for them. Do you have a guy on TV like we do here in Seattle? "Get Jesse" is a guy who helps people out that have been wronged and then the whole thing ends up on TV. There's another idea for you. I am a "Yelper" - so I always start there.....

Right now, you're focused on Dozer - of course. As it should be.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Sending continued prayers for Dozer and you....and you might want to put the Bengay in a different cupboard from the toothpaste, just in case....lol

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Holy crap. I don't know how I missed this thread. I am so happy that Dozer is getting better - he is right?

I also hope that you take some kind of legal action with that pet store. They need to stop getting pups from lowlife puppy mills or backyard breeder idiots (or whatever they're doing) and they need to be held accountable for what's occurred here; even if that just means negative press. Mom being a lawyer is just toooooo awesome to not take advantage of. Even small claims court can be painful for them. Do you have a guy on TV like we do here in Seattle? "Get Jesse" is a guy who helps people out that have been wronged and then the whole thing ends up on TV. There's another idea for you. I am a "Yelper" - so I always start there.....

Right now, you're focused on Dozer - of course. As it should be.

Dozer so far is doing better. It has been a few days since I last checked in on this thread, and he has been holding down his food. His energy is back to normal and he hasnt puked. We are going to the vet tonight for a followup and to take some more X-rays. I hope the vet has good news for us tonight. Although, after researching puppies with pnemonia the stories almost always go something like this...

"Puppy gets sick, we go to vet, vet gives us some medicine and advice, we heed that advice, puppy gets better, and then a week or two later the puppy passes away out of no where". I

really hope I dont fall into that category, I would be destoryed if something happened to my buddy :( I'm trying to stay positive though!

We most def will be taking them to court. I already spoke with the Chief prosecutor of Animal Cruelty at my agency about the pet store and they will be visiting him sometime this week for a surpise inspection...hopefully he gets fined. We are building a case against them as we speak, and will be reaching out to other people who bought sick dogs from this pet store. He already has a "F" rating by the BBB, and has been in and out of court over various issues concerning his business for the past 20 years. He has no idea who he is up against, I'm pretty much the Chuck Norris of animal rights at this point.

Next step is to reach out to my contact at the USDA in Washington D.C (once she gets back from vacation) and have her look into the puppy mill Dozer came from. Maybe we can do something about them, even if its just a surprise inspection and/or fines.

Sending continued prayers for Dozer and you....and you might want to put the Bengay in a different cupboard from the toothpaste, just in case....lol

Thanks so much! And I threw the Bengay away in my frustration so that wont be happening again lololol

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
"Puppy gets sick, we go to vet, vet gives us some medicine and advice, we heed that advice, puppy gets better, and then a week or two later the puppy passes away out of no where". I

really hope I dont fall into that category, I would be destoryed if something happened to my buddy :( I'm trying to stay positive though!

No no no. That isn't going to happen. Those pups you read about didn't have the army of prayer warriors that Dozer has. He is going to recover and give you YEARS of mess to clean up :)

Last edited:

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
[MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION] how is Dozer doing?

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
so far so good. he hasnt threw up and i havnt heard him cough at all. we went to the vet on thursday night and he said that dozer is better and wants to see us back there next saturday. hopefully by then he will be all better and then maybe soon thereafter we can get his last shot so we can start taking him outside...i hope this is the last of this illness but today he woke up with cherry eye...the swelling has gone down but idk if it will come back. my heart is breaking for this little guy i feel like it is always something at this point =[

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
IMG_0386.jpgWell I am glad he is gettig better as far as cough ad vomittig!!!! Take a picture if you can! Brutus was about 4 1/2 months old and we woke up and it was a little swollen we left it alone by the next morning it was gone! HAsnt come back since (knocking on wood)

Here is a pic!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so far so good. he hasnt threw up and i havnt heard him cough at all. we went to the vet on thursday night and he said that dozer is better and wants to see us back there next saturday. hopefully by then he will be all better and then maybe soon thereafter we can get his last shot so we can start taking him outside...i hope this is the last of this illness but today he woke up with cherry eye...the swelling has gone down but idk if it will come back. my heart is breaking for this little guy i feel like it is always something at this point =[

:hug: poor little bully and Mama..... hope he continues to improve. Cherry eye is not painful at all... just a gland that pops out of place. There is an article here under health forum.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh my look at that face! :heart:

As much as I try to avoid pet stores that sell dogs, I'm really glad that you found him and took him in. He needed help quickly, and he was not getting it from the pet store owner that's for sure. Still praying for the day when you say that he has a clean bill of health and playing outside like a puppy should. :)

Members online

No members online now.