Coughing & Throwup

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I apologize if its been mentioned as the thread is long. When we picked up Kain the breeder mentioned he wolfs his food down and then puked it up.

Since we brought him home we were advised to add water to his food and keep it moist, I still do so today to avoid the issue but never seen it sense.

Only time was my fault when we did tricks and he ate dry treats, then I fed him dry supper and bamn up it came.

Now tricks 'after' supper and damp food always.

Just adding to the 3 pages in case it helps.

Other issue I was told is raise the dish as it allows the nose to get air while eating where a deep dish will cause him to not breathe while eating.

There is my unqualified advice :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Go to the bulldog club if Americas website. I'm sure there's a vet listed there who can see you quicker than the other guy

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

C

Cooper11

he also may be eating to fast might want to try a slow feed bowl! Sounds like he is inhaling it?

darla and me

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
HI When Darla was 10 weeks old she started coughing too, would cough so hard shed throw up white foam. Coughing would happen at night as well. Took her to vet, was bronchitis, she had a shot of ABX , then started on doxycycline for 14 days. Vet said it could turn to pnuemonia quickly with EB's and needed to be treated. My other dog (her brother 1.5 years old) was coughing too. They were both treated with the ABX and got better in about a week. I had to take Darla to vet twice , at first they put her on Cipro and it did not work...vet said sometimes Cipro is not strong enough. Hope this helps. Vet said that the coughing at night was indicative of kennel cough or doggie bronchitis.

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Update:

Took Dozer last night to the 24/7 clinic. They put him on an IV drip and are keeping him there for observation. I am going to pick him up today after work at around 6PM. They said that after I pick him up I will bring him back tomorrow for a follow up. They did a full blood panel while I was there and I'm just waiting on the results. They checked his poo for parasites and it came back ok. I am so sad for my little buddy, he needs me and I'm not there. I hope he is going to be ok =[

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Update:

Took Dozer last night to the 24/7 clinic. They put him on an IV drip and are keeping him there for observation. I am going to pick him up today after work at around 6PM. They said that after I pick him up I will bring him back tomorrow for a follow up. They did a full blood panel while I was there and I'm just waiting on the results. They checked his poo for parasites and it came back ok. I am so sad for my little buddy, he needs me and I'm not there. I hope he is going to be ok =[

Awwwww....well he is in good hands. And once you figure out the problem..you can focus on getting him healthy and back to being a beautiful pup! I'm glad you took him. Let us know what you find out..and guess you know it's time for a new vet! Shame on the old vet for not pursuing his problem. Bravo to you for doing what he needs..:hug:

A

Alaskasmom1

If Alaska sneaks away from me and eats part of her bed or a sock or something, she will dry cough like this until she throws up whatever it is...I've been desperately trying to catch her and stop this behavior. I know how dangerous it is.

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Update:

Just picked up Dozer...he's doing great! He has been on an IV feed all day and the blood work came back ok!!! The vet said he doesnt see anything wrong and to be sure took another x-ray.. He still has a cough but just to be sure they are going to take him again tomorrow all day from 8AM to 8PM. I guess I don't have to take off from work after all. God, im so happy he's ok!!! Thanks for the support again everyone it means a lot to me & Dozer!

dozer.jpg

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:whew: Glad he is doing better! Still praying for a quick recovery! Hope all is well and thanks for keeping us posted.

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
I'm glad your baby dozer s doing better. Such a relief!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update:

Just picked up Dozer...he's doing great! He has been on an IV feed all day and the blood work came back ok!!! The vet said he doesnt see anything wrong and to be sure took another x-ray.. He still has a cough but just to be sure they are going to take him again tomorrow all day from 8AM to 8PM. I guess I don't have to take off from work after all. God, im so happy he's ok!!! Thanks for the support again everyone it means a lot to me & Dozer!

View attachment 17789

Yeah... so happy to hear he is doing better and it is nothing serious! I was thinking of you two all day! :jumping:

C

Cooper11

Update:

View attachment 17789
OMG that pic is adorable!!! He is such a little cutie!!!

Members online

No members online now.