Coughing & Throwup

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thanks everyone for the support and well wishes!!!! I'm so happy and thankful that I found these forums for Dozer!!Poor guy just puked up his dinner...hes not even digesting his food...its coming up whole =[I am going to blend some of his dry food tomorrow in our blender and see if that helps him...I wont be able to go over to PETCO until later in the morning at which point ill get him some wet food in hopes of it helping his belly not throw up his meals. This is such a gut wrenching feeling, seeing him hack, and cough, and then puke his food up... I feel so helpless...Only thing I can do is put him on my lap, wrap my arms around him, and sit there while he does it...I refuse to let him go through this alone and if he pukes on me then so be it...no living thing should have to go through that alone =[I'll keep you guys posted for tomorrow and this thread acts like a digital log for me in case I need to go back a few months from now and refer to it. Keeping my fingers crossed that this goes away soon.

Truly, thanks everyone from the bottom of our hearts!!!

photo.jpg

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor baby.... and Mama! Did you get a vet that you can take for a second opinion? All this throwing up and no food digesting is very worrisome...

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Poor baby.... and Mama! Did you get a vet that you can take for a second opinion? All this throwing up and no food digesting is very worrisome...

Not yet the only opening they had is on Saturday so we are going to have to wait until then =[

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
There is, its about 20 mins away by car...do you think I should go? The vet we went to today didnt seem to concerned by it...i dont know what to do at this point.

I would be there.... just does not seem right if he tossed his whole dinner after all that happen last night. It will be costly, but at least you'll have a better sense of what is going on. If I remember earlier post, you said you weren't to thrilled with the vet you were going to.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have to agree with Christine..I'd be there too. It might not warrant that trip in the end..but it might save you a ton of worry all night long. And with a young puppy..it doesn't take long to get worse. :hug:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I had to drive 1 hr at 3 am and it wasnt a big deal but it definatley gave me peice of mind! With the sympstoms im hearing I definatley think you should take the trip to the er to be looked at! If he isnt eating and vomitting everything with no fluids it could get worse!

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I had to drive 1 hr at 3 am and it wasnt a big deal but it definatley gave me peice of mind! With the sympstoms im hearing I definatley think you should take the trip to the er to be looked at! If he isnt eating and vomitting everything with no fluids it could get worse!

I dont mind the drive at all, dont get me wrong! I'll drive to the other end of this country if I have to!....But we got an x-ray today and the vet said she only saw irritation in his throat. And that his stomach and insides looked fine. She figured he was puking only because he was coughing. He has been drinking a lot of water and he does eat he just cant keep a portion of his food down he also isnt lethargic or anything......for example...he ate and 2pm and at 6pm...he threw up at 9pm maybe enough food to just cover the palm of my hand. So some of it is staying down...i am just going to go I hope its nothing serious.

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Im sorry if I made it seem as if you wouldnt do what you had to! Truley I didnt mean it if thats how it sounded! I was only saying this b/c earlier you had said he wasnt drinking water...and also if he is still coughing and throwing up other things could be a factor...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I dont mind the drive at all, dont get me wrong! I'll drive to the other end of this country if I have to!....But we got an x-ray today and the vet said she only saw irritation in his throat. And that his stomach and insides looked fine. She figured he was puking only because he was coughing. He has been drinking a lot of water and he does eat he just cant keep a portion of his food down he also isnt lethargic or anything......for example...he ate and 2pm and at 6pm...he threw up at 9pm maybe enough food to just cover the palm of my hand. So some of it is staying down...i am just going to go I hope its nothing serious.

Good! Having an X-ray is what I was hoping for. Then just sit tight..do the shower steam thing and hug your baby. I might look for another vet tomorrow who won't make you wait til Saturday. That's too long with a sick pup!

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Good! Having an X-ray is what I was hoping for. Then just sit tight..do the shower steam thing and hug your baby. I might look for another vet tomorrow who won't make you wait til Saturday. That's too long with a sick pup!

Agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I would for another vet to get you in sooner if you can. I didn't think Tess was dehydrated during her diarrhea episode because she was still eating and drinking but she was and I was glad I took her in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Nope!!! :nonono: You need to stop that!!! Enjoy your baby everyday and never think about the future when it comes to sickness and dying! It wastes time! He will be fine! Yo just get a second opinion and go from there! He has a great family and that is all he needs!

I quoted @Cooper11 because this is 100% true. And trust me, I KNOW! We can't think about tomorrow because we honestly don't know how many tomorrows we have. None of us are born with expiration dates. Not people, not pets. I have had to come to grips with this and believe me, it wasn't easy. All we can do is live for today and enjoy every second that we are given.

Thanks everyone for the support and well wishes!!!! I'm so happy and thankful that I found these forums for Dozer!!Poor guy just puked up his dinner...hes not even digesting his food...its coming up whole =[I am going to blend some of his dry food tomorrow in our blender and see if that helps him...I wont be able to go over to PETCO until later in the morning at which point ill get him some wet food in hopes of it helping his belly not throw up his meals. This is such a gut wrenching feeling, seeing him hack, and cough, and then puke his food up... I feel so helpless...Only thing I can do is put him on my lap, wrap my arms around him, and sit there while he does it...I refuse to let him go through this alone and if he pukes on me then so be it...no living thing should have to go through that alone =[I'll keep you guys posted for tomorrow and this thread acts like a digital log for me in case I need to go back a few months from now and refer to it. Keeping my fingers crossed that this goes away soon.

Truly, thanks everyone from the bottom of our hearts!!!

I'm not an expert by anyone's definition but I wouldn't grind the dry food. Abby can't tolerate the dry food either and that has nothing to do with her kidneys. Her system can't break down the grains in the food and she would throw it up. Like Dozer, it was whole pieces. It looked the same coming out as it did when went in, just wetter and smellier. If it were me (and it was me at one point) I'd put him on rice and boiled chicken or ground beef for a couple of days until the vomiting stops. Antibiotics are hard on the body, it kills good bacteria and bad. You need to be gentle to it for a little while then I would switch to a grain free food and see how he does with that.

Run out to Walgreens and grab some pedialyte. They really like the fruit flavors and enjoy drinking it more than water.

That's not to say to not get a second opinion because you absolutely need to. But while you are waiting, I would try the rice and steam. And love him up. Stay off the internet, stop reading pet shop and puppy mill horror stories. Yes they exist and yes they are horrible. But you can't torture yourself over it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Try feeding some boiled rice and chicken or ground beef and see if he will keep the food down. He may not digest the canned wet food if kibble is still upsetting him. The bland diet usually sits ok in a sick bully.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.