Coughing & Throwup

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Well he was fine for two weeks and then all of a sudden he got these symptoms...could it be from the dogs at the pet store even though its two weeks later?

Either way I look at him as my rescue dog. He looked so sad in that pet store and I later found out that the store is a shop of horrors (after we got him). We tried to find a breeder but all the breeders are soo far away and my parents did not want to buy a dog blind without seeing him in person and they werent so keen on the idea of shipping him via airplane. I prob saved this dogs life and I am happy I did because aside from the illness he is everything I wanted in a pet. He loves me and hes soo smart and he has such a great personality...I wouldnt trade him for anything!

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Woke up around 3AM to Dozer coughing and hacking...it gave me quite a scare! I stayed with him until it passed and then he threw up a bunch of white stuff with some of his food inside....eventually it passed and he went back to sleep but he woke up a few more times doing it, although he didnt throw up. We are taking him to the vet today and I am so scared for my little buddy.

I did a lot of google searching and it turns out that this is either expected for a young puppy (12 weeks old) or it's unexpected. He has been on amoxicilin for a little over a week now and he needs 1 more shot which we were supposed to get this Saturday....should I be worried???

I heard it could be a reaction to something. The only thing I could think of is a new cleaner we have been using to clean up the floors in the house. Its an oxy type cleaner with baking soda that we got at Petco. I dont know what else it could be. We havnt changed his food or anything. I know we will be going to the vet but I really need to calm my mind...anyone here experience this before?

I totally forgot you got your baby from a pet store so did I. I would call the pet store to let them know he is sick. Did the store recommend a Vet to see? Mine did? If u still don't feel comfortable about what's going with him I would call the store. I actually had to talk to the owner yesterday to make sure I got my point across. If you don't mind me asking what pet store. Mine was Pet Land.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0rw5s3
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I totally forgot you got your baby from a pet store so did I. I would call the pet store to let them know he is sick. Did the store recommend a Vet to see? Mine did? If u still don't feel comfortable about what's going with him I would call the store. I actually had to talk to the owner yesterday to make sure I got my point across. If you don't mind me asking what pet store. Mine was Pet Land.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0rw5s3

Apparently the pet store and the Dr they recomended are in cahoots with one another. They both have terrible reviews and a lot of outstanding law suits. I do not know how he is still in business. I wish I read all of this before I got Dozer but I like to think I came into this dogs life for a reason and if I didnt get him I wouldnt have got this unique little guy.

I'm not going to bother with the calling the pet store. There is nothing they are going to do except send me to their vet which is already a scheme. In their defense I know a few people who got their puppies from there and had no problems with them...so only time will tell if my little boy will be ok.

The name of the pet store is: World of Pups formally know as World of Pets and they are located at 540 86th Street New York, NY 11209. If you google it you'll see the reviews on Yelp and see what I mean.

Last edited:

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Well he was fine for two weeks and then all of a sudden he got these symptoms...could it be from the dogs at the pet store even though its two weeks later?

Either way I look at him as my rescue dog. He looked so sad in that pet store and I later found out that the store is a shop of horrors (after we got him). We tried to find a breeder but all the breeders are soo far away and my parents did not want to buy a dog blind without seeing him in person and they werent so keen on the idea of shipping him via airplane. I prob saved this dogs life and I am happy I did because aside from the illness he is everything I wanted in a pet. He loves me and hes soo smart and he has such a great personality...I wouldnt trade him for anything!

I didn't mean to come off as judgmental because you got your dog from a pet store, quite the opposite. I know a lot of people who buy pet store dogs because, like you, they needed to rescue the pups from those conditions. I just meant the accountability of the person you bought him from is not there, so a lot of important info - ie the health of the rest of the litter, remains a mystery.

I can't believe the vet was in cahoots with the pet store. That is insane. Get a different vet and make sure to leave complaints about these people!!

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I didn't mean to come off as judgmental because you got your dog from a pet store, quite the opposite. I know a lot of people who buy pet store dogs because, like you, they needed to rescue the pups from those conditions. I just meant the accountability of the person you bought him from is not there, so a lot of important info - ie the health of the rest of the litter, remains a mystery.

I can't believe the vet was in cahoots with the pet store. That is insane. Get a different vet and make sure to leave complaints about these people!!

We def didnt go to the vet they recomended. We went to a vet that was recomended by several people from the neighborhood. They said they get people from the vet who is in cahoots only to be told by my vet that their dog is really sick.

Sigh, I'm sitting here reading all these reviews about other pet stores and dogs who come from puppy mills and am getting myself sick...i.e whose dog died in a few months, whose dog got cancer after a year, whose dog's liver shut down after 6 months...so crazy and so sad...yep im not going to sleep tonight.. im making myself sick reading all of these and cant help but feel deep down that Dozer is awaiting the same fate :( God this is so upsetting.

Last edited:
C

Cooper11

We def didnt go to the vet they recomended. We went to a vet that was recomended by several people from the neighborhood. They said they get people from the vet who is in cahoots only to be told by my vet that their dog is really sick.

Sigh, I'm sitting here reading all these reviews about other pet stores and dogs who come from puppy mills and am getting myself sick...i.e whose dog died in a few months, whose dog got cancer after a year, whose dog's liver shut down after 6 months...so crazy and so sad...yep im not going to sleep tonight.. im making myself sick reading all of these and cant help but feel deep down that Dozer is awaiting the same fate :( God this is so upsetting.

Nope!!! :nonono: You need to stop that!!! Enjoy your baby everyday and never think about the future when it comes to sickness and dying! It wastes time! He will be fine! Yo just get a second opinion and go from there! He has a great family and that is all he needs!

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Apparently the pet store and the Dr they recomended are in cahoots with one another. They both have terrible reviews and a lot of outstanding law suits. I do not know how he is still in business. I wish I read all of this before I got Dozer but I like to think I came into this dogs life for a reason and if I didnt get him I wouldnt have got this unique little guy.

I'm not going to bother with the calling the pet store. There is nothing they are going to do except send me to their vet which is already a scheme. In their defense I know a few people who got their puppies from there and had no problems with them...so only time will tell if my little boy will be ok.

The name of the pet store is: World of Pups formally know as World of Pets and they are located at 540 86th Street New York, NY 11209. If you google it you'll see the reviews on Yelp and see what I mean.

I'm so sorry. My pet store was the same way. I hope you find a good vet for your baby. I'm with you on this. I got my baby to from a pet store and had month a diarrhea issues with her and was afraid of what she had could of had and been given to my young boys at home. So I completely understand.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?km0rqi

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Kennel cough can take awhile to show up. And it will get worse before it gets better if that's it! Don't be too hard on yourself about where you got him. I'm thankful you are the one that got him and not someone who will get rid of him at the first sign of trouble! A vaporizer would work like the shower and probably easier!

Last edited:

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Please give yourself a break, you're awesome for being Dozer's advocate and seeking the best way to care for him...

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
My EB, Hooey, has had this issue before as well. We got him last July and when we went into allergy season last fall he would get really congested & throw up alot of mucus (with little amounts of food mixed in). My boyfriend & I even rushed him to the vet once because he was making a hacking sound like he couldnt breathe. Our vet also recomended putting him in the bathroom with us when we would take showers so the vapors would break up the mucus. Luckily, after being on antibiotics for about two weeks it went away. We were giving Hooey 2 pills a day from the get go. Hopefully your baby just has some allergies and after the antibiotics run their course he will be just fine.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
You sound like me when mine were puppies. I took them to the vet at the drop of a hat. Even though sometimes it ended up being unnecessary, I am glad I did because I learned much during the puppy time. Safety first!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ihope your baby is doing better.... please do not be so hard on yourself as you are being the best bully mama by taking care and make sure he gets what he needs

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION] dogs will usually drink when the water is first put down for them, fresh. If you have trouble getting him to drink, try floating some ice cubes in the water.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.