Grooming & Bathing Tips

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hey EBN,I am getting ready to give Dozer his first bath! We are all really excited but would like to consult with the fine knowing members of this site before we do anything.We already bought a wash basin for him and shampoo Nutri-Vet Medicated Antibacterial Tea Tree Oil Shampoo for Dogs, 16-Ounce we also know that we must stuff his ears with cotton balls and make sure that they dont come out when he shakes. Basically I want to get some feedback on the methods you use and how you wash him...if you could give me a step by step run down of what you do from start to finish that would be appreciated. (If anyone has a video of them bathing their dog or a link to one that works too)Also for grooming...we brush him once a day with this

800443099926c.jpg

However, do we brush against the hair first and then with the hair or is there a certain method that should be done in order to ensure he is being groomed properly. Any other tips would be appreciated!ThanksBK*P.S Also, all of my posts with these somewhat general questions will be compiled into one massive article as a "Go To" source for everyone here.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cooper11

@BrooklynStar
O My! First Bath!!!! I gave Coop and Gracie their first and the screamed and cried. I actually have a funny pic on my intro of Gracie when I turned the water on.

Sounds like you have everything set for the bath. I wash my babies down stair because I have the removable nossle (it is a life saver and saves so much time)
I try to brush Coop every day also. I have found the the rubber glove mit thing work GREAT on him...gets sooo much hair off and it I do it daily I can tell a big difference. I am use the furminator brush, it is costly but worth it! Gets lost of hair from the under coat!

Here is an example of the glove
15929_001_xl.jpg

and the furminator
41M8ZOIqOfL._AA300_.jpg

C

Cooper11

O forgot to add....the glove thing works great on Cooper and work okay or good on Gracie. She has way softer coat than Cooper does. And her coat is shorter than his too. Would never have known that bullies have different coats if I didn't have 2 of them! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We use the Kong ZoomGroom in and out of the bath. And we have a Furminator that I use when they start shedding

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
@BrooklynStar
O My! First Bath!!!! I gave Coop and Gracie their first and the screamed and cried. I actually have a funny pic on my intro of Gracie when I turned the water on.

Sounds like you have everything set for the bath. I wash my babies down stair because I have the removable nossle (it is a life saver and saves so much time)
I try to brush Coop every day also. I have found the the rubber glove mit thing work GREAT on him...gets sooo much hair off and it I do it daily I can tell a big difference. I am use the furminator brush, it is costly but worth it! Gets lost of hair from the under coat!

Here is an example of the glove

15929_001_xl.jpg

and the furminator

41M8ZOIqOfL._AA300_.jpg

We use the Kong ZoomGroom in and out of the bath. And we have a Furminator that I use when they start shedding

Sweet! I am going to buy those items tomorrow...I'm excited I cant wait to see how is he going to react when he gets into the cozy bath lol...i wish i got a dog years ago!!

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION] they do work great! The older they get the better they work because their coat changes so much....Cooper tries to bite both of them as I am brushing! But it is worth it! When I was researching about these dogs people talked about the glove and I was like how the heck would that get hair off but it does....Sometimes when I do Cooper (I will do him ot on my deck or in the tub so he can't run) but by the time I am done the duck is coverd in little cooper hairs! You will feel like you can't do it enough....I think I cold keep doing it and keep getting hair off. The furminator is awesome because if yo Google it and watch a video of some one doing it or they show the piles of hair...it really does do that Not as huge of a pile as some show bt you will have a pile of hair! I shoulda ordered it on amazon cuz i spent almost $50 on mine at the vet...check ebay too because I got my mom one for like $25! Happy Brushings :)

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Lasagna Lopez, Maximus Meatball Meridius
lol have fun, I gave Lola her first bath the other day & by the time she ended up clean I looked a MESS from the process. Tons of bully fun tho!

I

ImAGuinneyPig

We put Guinn in the bathtub. We're in a condo so that's all we have. I guess we are lucky because since her very first bath, she always just stands there in the tub. The only thing she might do is try to eat the water coming from the spout :D Silly Bully

I just fill my biggest mixing bowl with water and wet and rinse her that way. I also use a ZoomGroom in the bath, and then a Furminator for regular grooming. Furminators are AWESOME. And like another poster mentioned, get it on Amazon. MUCH cheaper!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I have a furminator or something like the furminator (i can't remember if its the actual brand), but I bought it at Target a little while ago...About $27 Have some advil ready and some beer to wash it down with....I hate giving baths! My back hurts sooooo bad! I truly dread it. I'd like to know how [MENTION=4196]Dalia55[/MENTION] is doing it...Tons of bully fun? :) Whatever that way is, I wanna know!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We use the bathtub..I use oatmeal shampoo with aloe and let it sit on Jake for 10 minutes..which feels like an hour!..:eek: then I towel dry and he's loose! I clean his ears later..with witch hazel...he really doesn't like the whole bath thing!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Ugh Brutus hates hates the bath :cursing: My Chanel loves it she actually lays down and relaxes :p We definatley use the furminator its pricey but definatley worth it! I prefer not to take our dogs to the groomer! Had 1 bad experience with Chanel and it scared her , 1 time they cut her nail too short and she bled baddd, so the next bath I figured let me do this one b/c she wasnt that dirty just needed her nails trimmed. well when I then tried she got so scared to let me cut her nail that it took 1 week to cut just her front paws b/c she was so nervous! I could never let that happen again to her so I just learned how and do it myself now! :tongue:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.