Head Tremors

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
Ivy Claire just yesterday experienced 2 episodes of head tremors each lasting several minutes. I am fairly certain, being a nurse, that these were NOT seizures. She was fully alert during the episodes and her eyes were stable. I was wondering if any of you have had this disturbing experience.

Cristina

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I have no experience with this but many here have so Im sure you will be getting lots of advice soon. In most cases it isn't a serious thing.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Bruin for a couple days had some episodes. I noticed when he started the tremor and I gave him a treat or some of his food, he would stop. This happened probably 6 - 8 months ago and hasn't happened since (knock on wood). I said to myself, if he did it one more time, that I would bring him to the vet, but never happened. Maybe I said it outloud and he heard me :hmm:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
annie had 1 set of head bobbing i just gave her some honey ,it stabilized her ,its not happened again,karen

OP
ollieivy

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
thanks for your replies...i did give her honey the second time, but it still took about 5 minutes to stop, and if it was low blood sugar the honey should have acted more quickly (almost immediately). i am just very curious to find out the exact cause of this, and all the info i have gotten seems to be, frustratingly, "no known cause".

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Sadie's had them. A few years ago it was getting bad and through the experience I learned its not so much giving her anything, but getting her to focus on something. Towards the end just getting her excited about a toy would stop them. She hasn't had one in a long time now though.

It is frustrating that there are no definitive answers on why this happens. And at first its SCARY!!!!

OP
ollieivy

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
sadie is such a butterscotchy beauty....yum!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've heard that it can be vitamin B deficiency...so you could also try supplementing with that.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4411]ollieivy[/MENTION] these are common in bullies and are not painful at all... it has something to do with the muscles in the neck and all you need to do it give some type of treat/food to redirect the muscles.

LeslieLain

Sep 12, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Marcy May
Marcy was doing this the last few nights while we weresnuggled on the couch. It was like her skin/mouth/neck was crawling and twitching. I simply gave her a head massage and it stopped both times.

The thing is that my gut said it was not a big deal. Is your dog eating/drinking/playing like she usually does? If so I would not worry overmuch but just keep an eye out in case it worsens.

OP
ollieivy

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
She is completely herself, even through the tremors. Nothing has happened since that day. My gut is also telling me that it's nothing serious, and everything I read says the same. So I am not going to spend money on x-rays or MRIs, since they don't seem to yield any answers. I think I will do bloodwork, though, at their next yearly check-up. That way we can tell if it's a deficiency of some sort or low blood glucose, at least.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
we had a member who changed food and her dog had one and she changed the food back immediately and no more tremors. thats all i know about it really. and welcome to the forum btw. :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.