Thread: Need some ideas

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Need some ideas

This morning on our walk around the block, Schultz had a normal BM, except that I noticed a drip or two of blood on the BM. Blood doesn't seem to be in the stool only on it.

When we got home I investigated under his tail and there is/was a little blood but not more than a drop. It maybe irritated under there where I can't see...

Can bulldogs have hemorrhoids?

I'm going to call the vet, immediately. But I'm trying to think what this might be...we have colon cancer in the family and I know blood in or on stool is not good.

Any thoughts or experiences with this ....not so nice topic...would be appreciated. Thanks

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need some ideas

The only experience I have had with something like this is my bully growing up. He swallowed a round steak bone whole and when it went to pass he had a real hard time. It did pass with some blood. Everything was fine after that. I am sure that bullies could get hemorrhoids too, however it is from straining and if he has been fine, he shouldn't develop them.

He may be chapped around the anus, he may have passed something that is not food......I would call your vet and see what they have to say. In the mean time watch him and see if it happened again.

Always with me

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

If its drops..and bright red..it's more than likely irritation. You might want to clean the area and maybe a dab of desitin..if you see a owie! If it gets worse or is actually entwined in go to the vet. I think bully's get everything!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Bella'sMom
    @JAKEISGREAT

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet...it was definitely drops of bright red blood...he does have a bad habit of eating crunchy dead old leaves that don't pass well...I'll keep a closer than usual eye on that end for the next few days....because other than that he's right as rain....thanks

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

No wisdom for you @Saalwi - and I'd be just as concerned too. Hope it's a whole lotta nothing!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    If its drops..and bright red..it's more than likely irritation.
    When it's bright red it's just that irritation. If it comes from the colon it's not red anymore.

Lichtenau, a village in northwest Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frieda, Kosmo
    Likes (Received)

I guess the blood was fresh and light red? Then I am sure, this is not something dangerous. Perhaps a small lesion with a little piece of wood or something similar, what he swallowed. This happens sometimes. It is possible too, that he has a infected anal-gland. This is not dangerous, only unpleasant. I would do the same like you: going to the vet and let examine the stool. (Dogs have no Hemorrhoids like humans.) You will see, Schultz is not sick. If Schultz would have something wrong in his intestine, the blood would be very dark red or black.

Stroke your cute and brave boy Schultz from me, Namaste

Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Vicaroo1000
    @RiiSi
    @cornelia

Just got off the phone with the vet...my instructions are to watch for any more drops of blood and if he try's to scoot or lick (which is not possible due to his anatomy, he cannot stratch or lick his butt, but I'm supposed to see if he tries such a maneuver)... She's thinking a minor irritation that caused the blood or an anal gland issue...so I guess he'll have no privacy doing his business in the near future....thanks everyone

ImAGuinneyPig

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    I think bully's get everything!
    This made me giggle because it's so true :hahaha:

@Saalwi - I would be concerned too, and would do exactly what you did. Hopefully it is just an irritation

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Saalwi View Post
    ...so I guess he'll have no privacy doing his business in the near future....

Also - if you take a sample in for examination, make sure you get a "first poop of the day" sample AND get it to the vet within a couple hours - no more. The fresher it is, the better for diagnosis. Just a helpful hint for ya! (That's one thing folks notice right away when they come on board here at EBN: WE KNOW OUR DOODIE!) *insert poo graphic here*

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

oh yes so scary when we see blood Duke also will get a few drops occassionally ( usually after he has eaten something he shouldn't) OR sometimes if he has the runs.. your vet gave you good advice..

Cooper11

Yes our Gracie had this same issue! We were thinking small lesion or something also from something she had eaten. Vet put her on an antibiotic just to be safe for infections! Hers was red blood also. Def keep an eye on it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads