Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
This morning on our walk around the block, Schultz had a normal BM, except that I noticed a drip or two of blood on the BM. Blood doesn't seem to be in the stool only on it.

When we got home I investigated under his tail and there is/was a little blood but not more than a drop. It maybe irritated under there where I can't see...

Can bulldogs have hemorrhoids?

I'm going to call the vet, immediately. But I'm trying to think what this might be...we have colon cancer in the family and I know blood in or on stool is not good.

Any thoughts or experiences with this ....not so nice topic...would be appreciated. Thanks

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
The only experience I have had with something like this is my bully growing up. He swallowed a round steak bone whole and when it went to pass he had a real hard time. It did pass with some blood. Everything was fine after that. I am sure that bullies could get hemorrhoids too, however it is from straining and if he has been fine, he shouldn't develop them.

He may be chapped around the anus, he may have passed something that is not food......I would call your vet and see what they have to say. In the mean time watch him and see if it happened again.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If its drops..and bright red..it's more than likely irritation. You might want to clean the area and maybe a dab of desitin..if you see a owie! If it gets worse or is actually entwined in :poo: go to the vet. I think bully's get everything! :bang:

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet...it was definitely drops of bright red blood...he does have a bad habit of eating crunchy dead old leaves that don't pass well...I'll keep a closer than usual eye on that end for the next few days....because other than that he's right as rain....thanks

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
No wisdom for you [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] - and I'd be just as concerned too. Hope it's a whole lotta nothing!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If its drops..and bright red..it's more than likely irritation.

When it's bright red it's just that irritation. If it comes from the colon it's not red anymore.

cornelia

Feb 16, 2012
Lichtenau, a village in northwest Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Frieda, Kosmo
I guess the blood was fresh and light red? Then I am sure, this is not something dangerous. Perhaps a small lesion with a little piece of wood or something similar, what he swallowed. This happens sometimes. It is possible too, that he has a infected anal-gland. This is not dangerous, only unpleasant. I would do the same like you: going to the vet and let examine the stool. (Dogs have no Hemorrhoids like humans.) You will see, Schultz is not sick. If Schultz would have something wrong in his intestine, the blood would be very dark red or black.

Stroke your cute and brave boy Schultz from me, Namaste

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4321]cornelia[/MENTION]

Just got off the phone with the vet...my instructions are to watch for any more drops of blood and if he try's to scoot or lick (which is not possible due to his anatomy, he cannot stratch or lick his butt, but I'm supposed to see if he tries such a maneuver)... She's thinking a minor irritation that caused the blood or an anal gland issue...so I guess he'll have no privacy doing his business in the near future....thanks everyone

I

ImAGuinneyPig

I think bully's get everything! :bang:

This made me giggle because it's so true :hahaha:

[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] - I would be concerned too, and would do exactly what you did. Hopefully it is just an irritation

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
...so I guess he'll have no privacy doing his business in the near future....
:lmao:

Also - if you take a sample in for examination, make sure you get a "first poop of the day" sample AND get it to the vet within a couple hours - no more. The fresher it is, the better for diagnosis. Just a helpful hint for ya! (That's one thing folks notice right away when they come on board here at EBN: WE KNOW OUR DOODIE!) *insert poo graphic here*

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
oh yes so scary when we see blood Duke also will get a few drops occassionally ( usually after he has eaten something he shouldn't) OR sometimes if he has the runs.. your vet gave you good advice.. :)

C

Cooper11

Yes our Gracie had this same issue! We were thinking small lesion or something also from something she had eaten. Vet put her on an antibiotic just to be safe for infections! Hers was red blood also. Def keep an eye:detective: on it

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=4090]ImAGuinneyPig[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION]

Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] ... how is Schultz doing today?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah has had this before. some blood in stool and has had blood from booty where she got antibiotics and then later when she had it again vet said she had a pollup. i think sometimes they get some irritation. maybe stool was a bit harder or whatever. will probably go away in a few days and bright red is a good sign. let us know whats happening.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.