Help with food please!

Linda B

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky Da Bull
My son has a 2 year old English Bulldog…..He has been on Royal Canine food since he was off of puppy food.He started to not tolerate it very well,so my son just changed him to Blue Wilderness Chicken ..He is mixing it to his Royal food in small amounts to get him adjusted…after about 5 minutes he is throwing it up…..what do you suggest? He isn’t on a regular feeding schedule because of the way my son works…can this have a impact on him?His stools seem loose which i feel is from changing his food but how long will this continue?Any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated..Thank you in advance Linda

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Linda, I would recommend a bland diet until he is back on track, you could even add some pumpkin (100% pumpkin, not pie filling) to his food to settle his tummy. He needs to get back on track and then slowly introduce the food back to him.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with Bella's Mom and I would try a food without chicken. You'd be sooo surprised how many Bully's are allergic to chicken. And with any food transition, it's important to go slow..over about a 2 week period. Royal Canin is really a low rated food..so it's good you are changing. We all have food horror stories. It's one of the hardest things to figure out with these guys. When you start the transition...as an example..here's what I do..jake gets 1 cup twice a day..I do 3/4 old..1/4 new for 3 days. Next step is 1/2 old and 1/2 new for 3 days. Then 3/4 new and 1/4 old for 3 days..then all new! If at any ime he has problems..I back up a step and go slower. The canned pumpkin..about 1 tsp each feeding will help his :poo: firm up while transitioning. Good luck..if you need any help picking out a food..just ask!

linda4568

Aug 7, 2010
Eagle River, Ak
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, Biggy, Pickles, Deebo, Hoss
Hello~I feed all 3 of my Bullies Turkey and Sweet potatoe. I get it at Costco and it comes in a red bag. It's the only thing I can give them that they're not allergic to.

OP
L

Linda B

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky Da Bull
Thanks for the info...we will try the pumpkin!........what name brand food would you recommend without the Chicken?

OP
L

Linda B

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky Da Bull
Hello~I feed all 3 of my Bullies Turkey and Sweet potatoe. I get it at Costco and it comes in a red bag. It's the only thing I can give them that they're not allergic to.

Thanks for the info Linda

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
All the Blue Wilderness flavors contain chicken. Yes, I think he might be allergic to chicken that's why he's throwing up.

Okay, a lot of people here are trying out Earthborne Holistic. There are 3 flavors in it that do not contain chicken that you can try - Great Plains Feast, Meadow Feast, and Coastal Catch. They're currently selling the trial size for $2.99 in my town with a $3 coupon on the back to use if the trial goes good for you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] is on a roll today.... she gave great advice to follow and help your Rocky along

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abby throws up anytime she eats food with grain in it. Her doctors think that she is allergic to it. She does fine with grain free.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.