I'm really starting to freak out now

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
I am so sorry for joining this late. I am so sorry. I know she will be okay, there is no other option :) . You both are in my prayers.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We are hoping for the best and waiting for the news.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am not giving up on this girl. No way No how! Not until she shows me that she doesn't want to fight anymore. This morning when I was trying to get dressed, I had to chase her around the house to get my sock from her. That is NOT a sick dog in my opinion and I don't care what those tests say.

Hey there --- any call from the office yet? I'm sneeking a quick note from work -- :shhhh:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abby is home and we have a diagnosis. Chronic Kidney Failure. :cry: They don't have the same types of tests for animals that they have in people so they couldn't tell me how advanced it it. All they could say was that symptoms don't usually appear until the damage is around 75%.

This looks like it was congenital, aggravated by an untreated UTI. It looks as tho she was born with immature kidneys then got an infection that nobody bothered to deal with. There are also cysts on her kidneys which no one in the office has ever seen on a dog, it usually only occurs in cats. Then again, no one in the office has ever seen this kind of damage in a 4 month old puppy. Dr Sing said there are 10 breeds who are susceptible to renal failure and bulldogs aren't one of them. She also has some stomach irritation.

As expected my memory was off in the numbers. Here is a scan of her results.

These numbers are a little off because she didn't fast before testing but even if she had, it wouldn't explain such high numbers. The doctors told me that she could last only a couple of weeks but they have also seen dogs go 2 - 2 1/2 years. They can't be more specific than that because none of them have seen this in anyone so young.

I am making an appointment with that doctor in Tinton Falls for next week.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

damn it.... I was so praying they mis-read something. When you talk to the hospital in Tinton Falls... ask about sending them the report and see if they can say anything based on that alone and have your vet, if you didn't already, give you or send copies of the other tests.

Wish I had words of wisdom... but I am heartbroken for you

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I have to wait until next week to get her down there because the final ultrasound report won't be ready until tomorrow and they ran some more tests, those results won't be in until Saturday. I can pick up copies of everything then.

For now, her appetite is normal. She HATES the Royal Canine IP prescription food they gave her. I even tried mixing it in with her rice but she wasn't having it. I found some low protein, low phosphorous diets online here http://www.gloryridge.com/kdrecipes.htm She will stay on Pepcid for the rest of her life and I have to find something amphogel (aluminum hydroxide). It's supposed to be a phosphorous blocker I can't find it anywhere local. She needs that 3 times a day with meals. I was told that I could get it at CVS but they've never heard of it.

Oh. I also have to keep a constant supply of water available to her. There goes out housebreaking hopes :) At least she usually makes it to the paper.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hug: I'm so very sorry. Like Christine, I was so hoping for a better diagnosis. I've been in your shoes. A few years ago, our beloved Rottie..Ana..was diagnosed out of the blue, with bone cancer. Her prognosis was a few months. She lasted 3 weeks before we decided her quality of life was gone. We made a promise to her and ourselves, that she would not be in pain. She certainly wasn't young, like your Abby...but we had rescued her from an awful life on the streets of Compton Ca. So we felt like we didn't get enough time with her. Now..I look back and am so thankful for the time we had. We showed her love, and she was part of our family. I figure that's what was intended. She taught us much more and I'm certain someday you will look back and realize how much you learned from Precious Abby. Love her....you were meant to have her.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] - do you remember the member that offered help with supplements? Maybe she can give Bev some advice on the aluminum hydroxide she needs to get for Abby?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] Bev... di you happen across this website "Caninekidneyhealth . com - there is a testimonial of a family that you should read

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
@Twice Bev... di you happen across this website "Caninekidneyhealth . com - there is a testimonial of a family that you should read

I hadn't seen that. I just placed an order and I'm printing the 2 diets at the bottom of another page there. I think she will really like the egg & sweet potatoes. Thanks for finding that :)

I told my son. He sat and listened. Then he asked for a copy of her blood work and went to him room. He has been on Google ever since. I think what makes this so hard for any of us to believe is that she is so normal! She's active. She's alert. She's playful. She's spiteful. We've all agreed that the second she starts showing signs of being sick we will have to let her go. In the meantime we are going to do everything possible to make sure she enjoys every last day she has.

I just can't believe that I'm going to lose her.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION], first of all I'm so sorry about Abby's prognosis. I don't know what else to say except that my heart goes out to you and to your little baby. :hug:

Regarding the aluminum hydroxide...i'm surprised that CVS didn't know what that was. It's commonly used as an antacid so do check that aisle at the store. You may find it under names like Alternagel, Alu-Cap, Dialume, Amphojel, Alu-Tab, Aloh-Gel.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I hadn't seen that. I just placed an order and I'm printing the 2 diets at the bottom of another page there. I think she will really like the egg & sweet potatoes. Thanks for finding that :) I told my son. He sat and listened. Then he asked for a copy of her blood work and went to him room. He has been on Google ever since. I think what makes this so hard for any of us to believe is that she is so normal! She's active. She's alert. She's playful. She's spiteful. We've all agreed that the second she starts showing signs of being sick we will have to let her go. In the meantime we are going to do everything possible to make sure she enjoys every last day she has. I just can't believe that I'm going to lose her.

:hug: How old is your son? That must of been brutally hard to tell him this ... my heart goes out to you. I am still looking for more info and I wiull be at out vet tomorrow night for Banks' laser treatment so I am going to pick the techs brain about it while I am there.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@Twice , first of all I'm so sorry about Abby's prognosis. I don't know what else to say except that my heart goes out to you and to your little baby. :hug:

Regarding the aluminum hydroxide...i'm surprised that CVS didn't know what that was. It's commonly used as an antacid so do check that aisle at the store. You may find it under names like Alternagel, Alu-Cap, Dialume, Amphojel, Alu-Tab, Aloh-Gel.

:hug: How old is your son? That must of been brutally hard to tell him this ... my heart goes out to you. I am still looking for more info and I wiull be at out vet tomorrow night for Banks' laser treatment so I am going to pick the techs brain about it while I am there.

​I'm so proud of this forum right now. We really rally around each other. True friends and such caring people. I'm so honored to call everyone here my friend.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names

He is 15. I had given him Abby for a birthday present. It was very hard to tell him about this. Hes been trying to teach her to skateboard. It was even harder because I also had to tell him that today we found out that my mom has to have a pacemaker immediately. She is scheduled for surgery 11am Friday. So now he's worried about his dog AND his grandmother.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.