I'm really starting to freak out now

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abbys first urine analysis came back abnormal. I dropped off a new, first morning sample on Saturday. The vet just called me. This one is abnormal too. They want her in at 2:00 today for blood work. The vet seems to think it might be her kidneys.

She drinks constantly and pees immediately. She is so thirsty she will drink her urine if I don't catch her in time. Out on walks she will try to drink from puddles, I even caught her trying to lap up mud the other day.

I thought that I had the throwing up under control. I've had her on ground beef and brown rice for about 2 weeks. She was holding that down so well that I started to slowly mix her food into it. Yesterday I increased it to more food then rice and the vomiting started again. She's back on Pedialyte and straight rice/beef.

Even tho she was eating 3 times a day and holding it down, she has still lost weight. Last week when I had her in she weighed 12.75 pounds. Saturday I had them weigh her again and she's down to 12.12 pounds. She's 4 months old!!

Now they call me with a demand (not even a request) for immediate blood work.

I love this girl so much. I don't know what to do. I've had dogs all my life and I've never had one who so completely and quickly stole my heart like Abby has. Now they're throwing around words like kidney failure. I'm so afraid.

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh my heart breaks for you. :(. I would be frecking out too. I sur hope that she'll be ok....we're all here for you too! :hug: :hug:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear. I'm going to tag the bully experts here, hopefully they can shed some light to what's going on. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

And [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] - is this a sign of epi?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so sorry. Take one step at a time. Don't try and look too far down the road. Get the tests done and see exactly where you and Abby are. I'll be keeping you both in my heart. Please let us know.. :hug:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
BellasMom was kind enough to chat with me in depth in PM's about EPI. I mentioned it to the vet while I had her on the phone. She is more inclined to think kidney disease/failure especially since the vomiting started immediately after increasing the kibble into her rice. All the words started to sound the same to me after that. Something about too much protein in the diet causing the throwing up, I don't remember exactly. I'm going to record todays visit.

I am going to demand that TAMU blood panel when I take her in today anyway.

I'm watching her sleep and she's snoring like she doesn't have a care in the world. And I can't stop my hands from shaking. :(

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Please keep us all posted. I am certainly praying for you and Abby. We just got our little guy a week ago and he has completely stolen our hearts. I would be feeling them same way in your situation.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Wish for the best for Abby and for you. ..
Pray for the best and brace for the worst is my motto.
Keep us posted...

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I am so sorry Abby is having problems. We have had problems with throwing up when something was ingested that couldn't pass through, like a beany baby, a piece of a toy, chunk of fabric off dog bed. It made the bloodwork crazy, xrays didn't show the blockage. We ended up at WSU Hospital of Vet. Medicine where their ultra sensitive equipment picked up the blockage and they removed it. We're sending positive thoughts and hugs your way!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Our prayers are with you and your litte puppy. This is a difficult time. I can't really help except for to send good wishes! I hope everything gets better soon.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sorry I don't have anything comforting to say. My heart goes out to you, hang on!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry to hear about your baby. It could be something wrong with the kidneys, liver, calcium levels in the blood, canine diabetes, or Cushing's syndrome. Please keep us posted as to what your vet found out with the blood test. We will keep her in our prayers and thoughts and hope for the best.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby had her blood work and of course all the usual hugs from the staff at the office. They all love her :) There's nothing left to do now but stuff myself with chocolate chip cookies and wait. They are going to rush the results so should have them back tomorrow. I'm to keep her on the rice/beef and pedialyte and she added Pepcid once a day.

The vet said that IF it's kidney disease there's a chance that we caught it early enough so it can be managed with diet and medication. I should be focused on that and stay positive. :pray: But Google says that signs of the disease don't usually show up until the kidneys have all but stopped functioning and those are the words that I can't get out of my head.

Thanks everyone for your positive thoughts and prayers. Can I be greedy and ask that you keep my sweety head in your thoughts just a little while longer?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.