Need some advice....

Jcl2626

Dec 19, 2011
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Private Knuckels aka: Knuckles
Knuckles is about 7mos old...We had his eyes tacked last month, but they are still red and teary at times. Over the weekend, he has been scratching more than usual and gotten sick 3-4 times after eating. We are in the process of remodeling our house so there is alot of dust and debris at times, but we are keeping it cleaned up as much as possible. We live in KY, and the weather has been up and down so allergies for alot of peole have been crazy. My daughter takes Claritin becuase of her allergies. Are bullys just as sensitive as kids or should I consider all the remodeling as a cause of the irritation? It has just started in the last couple of weeks, but that is how far along I am into my remodel. Are there any kind of OTC allergic meds for bullys to provide temporary relief until this remodel is finished and the weather changes? Thank you for any input.:bully:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi... yes, you can give Benedryl or Zytec 1 mg per pound 2x a day. My girl, Banks, is 60 lbs and I give her 50 mgs in the AM and PM. Bullies are very sensitive and most suffer from some level of allergies.

If you want to know what to avoid, ask your vet to run a full blood screen allergy test - it gives you a list of high/low sensitivities. It takes all the guess work out of what is bothering your baby.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You've just got some great advice. Even though Bo is almost well over 70 lbs, it only takes one 25mg Benedryl to make a difference for him. I suppose - like people - all dogs are different and intensity of allergy is different. Some folks say one works better over the other (Zyrtec vs. Benedryl) too so there's that to consider.

Hope your baby is feeling better soon!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
What kind of food are you feeding? Have you thought about switching to a different protein source? It may not be remodel allergies, but a food allergy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.