Bald Spots on my Bully

Dante

Jul 20, 2011
Hi, my nine month bulldog has two bald spots on his side. They have been there for about 3 months. The vet has treated them with prednisone and simplicef oraly. Also a cream called mupirocin an baths of KetoChlor and ResiCort. None of the medicines have worked. I don't know what to do anymore but want my bully to get better. Any sugestions? IMG_0344.jpgIMG_0345.jpgIMG_0349.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hmm: let's get someone that might know! [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]...and probably many more! Hang in there!

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Not sure what any of those medicine are for. Allergies? Did they do a skin scraping to check for mange?

OP
Dante

Dante

Jul 20, 2011
Yes, he came back negative to all test

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It looks to be seasonal flank alopecia which is very common in bulldogs usually brought on by allergies or weak immune system. stop all the meds, they are of no help. Get him on a good food .. see our articles on Dog food ratings and recommendations.

Also, after your baby is off the steroids for 30 days (no less) ask for a full blood screen allergy test to be done. it will tell you what allergies there are that could be weakening his immune system.

Last edited:
OP
Dante

Dante

Jul 20, 2011
Currently he is on raw diet. It consist of chicken, liver and eggs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Currently he is on raw diet. It consist of chicken, liver and eggs.

REALLY!!?? I found the below on a DVM website.....

Seasonal flank alopecia is exactly what it sounds like, though it helps to know that alopecia means hair loss. With seasonal flank alopecia, a dog loses hair in the flank area on a seasonal basis. Different dogs seem to choose different seasons to lose their hair (fall and spring are popular) and when the season changes the hair generally grows back. Sometimes a dog will skip a season only to lose hair again the next year. Most affected dogs are Boxers, Airedales, and English bulldogs, though numerous other breeds have been affected.

The hair loss is generally confined to the flanks (area just ahead of the rear legs) though sometimes the bridge of the nose is involved. The skin typically is darkly pigmented in the areas of hair loss. Both flanks are generally affected symmetrically and sometimes there is skin infection in the balding areas. Sometimes the hair re-grows in a different color than the original hair. Some dogs never re-grow their hair.

Why Does this Happen?
At this time no one knows why this occurs. It is felt to be a hormonal problem disrupting hair follicles.
Is there Treatment?
Melatonin, a natural biochemical that is important in the regulation of circadian (daily) rhythms, has been used successfully in many patients. In the U.S. this product is available over the counter as a dietary supplement. A more effective method seems to involve the use of melatonin implants under the skin, but they are not available in the U.S. Melatonin is sometimes used as a sleep aid in people and the only known side effect is drowsiness. Dosing regimens must be obtained from the veterinarian treating the dog in question

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=2826]Dante[/MENTION] there is another thread farther down in this section that says seasonal flank alopecia. it has lots of good info about this if you want to read it. several suggestions for some things to use to help the coat grow back in. they say it doesnt bother them at all. i dont know if thats what this is but cant hurt to read it and there are some pics to.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like you have some good advice above.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
David's right. Great stuff here. Bea has seasonal alopecia and while she did look downright freakish that first spring/summer, her hair grew back beautifully. I hope this is the "skip a year" year for us....LOL

OP
Dante

Dante

Jul 20, 2011
I saw the pics and read the thread, but thoes it look like the spots on Dante?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i dunno if it is or isnt but giving him something to help his coat cannot be a bad thing. maybe try some of those things to see if his coat gets bettter. fish oil is good for the coat to and immune system. i so hope he gets better.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Sorry, wish I could help. Doesn't look like anything I've seen. My Babygirl occasionally loses some of her coat on her flank side but in a big patch and then grows back in again. She gets a skin supplement that has flaxseed oil. Hopefully someone on the forum has seen this one before. BTW your bully is growing into a very handsome fellow and the camera definitely loves him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.