Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Hi all...

I was talking with my vet the other day (on another topic) and I mentioned that I had recently taken my dogs to the self-serve dog wash at the pet store near where I live and I was surprised at her reaction. She told me that she recently had to report that same pet store for one of her patients that contracted mange after using the self serve dog wash (as this dog had not been anywhere else or in contact with anything outside) to the board of health. She said it absolutely imperative that the staff clean between customers and in the correct way, or lots of contagious diseases can be spread through just contact.

I know I never thought about that before, as it is a stainless steel tub....but it got me thinking. I guess I'll be making messes at home b/c then I know for sure we won't be picking up contagions.

Just thought I'd share, in case others didn't know this is possible, too....

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Wow... that is something to think about for sure.....

Bullies are so easy to bathe that I dont see the benefit of taking Jack to a groomer's just for a bath; and then coughing up $25 to boot.!

The ONLY reason I would take Jack to a groomer's would be to have his scent gland drained. I've tried and I've tried and I cannot get his gland to drain ...
Its as if it were emptied.

I've always done this to all my dogs without any problem. However, on Jack, I cannot.

Does anyone else have a problem draining their dog's scent gland ?

Note:
I took special care this time for proper sentence structure on that last question! :ROFL:

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
That's great info [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]! I just use the bathtub..but have considered the self service ones before!

[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION]... :eek: what is wrong with you? Ohhhh never mind...just let me use my imagination... :sarcastic:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

Im serious.....! I squeeze & I squeeeze and nothing comes out......

On a side note : Jack really hates bath time... can't quite figure out why..

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thanks for the info! I had to give the dogs their own bathroom in our basement for bathing/grooming! Wow [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] you pay $25 ...Here in Jersey its about $50-60 depending what he is getting!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] $25 just for a basic wash... no bells & whistles...

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] Oh I was going to say woof your lucky lol :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Thanks for the good info, I don't take mine to those place, just because of that reason. you never know how clean they are or what the last dog in there may have had.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION], Good to know!!!! about two weeks ago we passed one of those self bath shops, I had never seen one. I thought "What a great idea!!, no bending over the tub!!" I am so glad you posted this, as I was considering it. [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION], I have to take Vegas to the vet, he had to have his anal glands INTERNALLY done, and I am NOT going to do it.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka is 7.5 months and I have had his drained. Are you supposed to have that done every so often?

I have noticed on a couple occasions that something seemed to be bothering Tonka down there. He will walk a little ways and then quickly sit down in a funny manner that suggests he has an issue down there. I know it's not the tail pocket since I keep that very clean. How often do I need to drain those glands? Or I should say, have someone do it for me because there is no way I could do it without gagging! :)

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Didnt think anything would stick to a SS tub... But I guess it needs to be cleaned like anything elese.

I was thinking about offering a self serve if i ever get a shopp opened...

Heather w/Tapatalk app

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Tonka is 7.5 months and I have had his drained. Are you supposed to have that done every so often?

I have noticed on a couple occasions that something seemed to be bothering Tonka down there. He will walk a little ways and then quickly sit down in a funny manner that suggests he has an issue down there. I know it's not the tail pocket since I keep that very clean. How often do I need to drain those glands? Or I should say, have someone do it for me because there is no way I could do it without gagging! :)

It goes by the dog... some never need them drained and others need it on a regular basis. I think [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] has Vegas' done about every 5 weeks. It sounds like your dog is telling you that they need to drained now.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.