Helppppp!!!!! Skin problem!

mmccutchan9825

Feb 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
Hello, I'm Michelle and I actually adopted a English Bulldog from a animal shelter. One of my friends worked their and the bulldog(LuLu) was giving up for adoption because she had a hot spot on her back. I'm pretty sure they used her to breed with. But she was giving up. So I have always had Jack russels and my jack russel(puzzle) stayed with my parents when i moved out because she loved to rome and they had a bunch of land and didn't feel like I should move her out of that environment. I adopted LuLu and the animal shelter had been feeding her Science Diet Regular adult and her hot spot went away. A few weeks later her hot spot came back. I switched her back to Science diet after but sensitive skin and she did okay with it. Found bounce shampoo to work well on her and also dandruff shampoo to stop her itching but her hair had not grown back. She is now Itching more and more and I tried an oatmeal shampoo and she itched like crazy afterwords. I have not had her tested for allergies. because some days she will itch and some days she wont and her skin will be fine just her hair will not grow back. I haven't changed anything really. I dont know if I should put her back on Science diet regular adult or if there is any allergy medicine that could help her or vitamins. I adopted her to save her and give her a home. I just need help!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey sorry this is happening I know its tough b/c they cant tell us what it is! I will tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] b/c she has Sarah who is so adorable but she struggles with allergies and she may be able to help! THis is the perfect site for any bulldog questions so you came to the right place!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hello Michelle....most of what you'll hear from the people that will be posting below me is food. It's all about the food. Bulldogs are sensitive creatures and they tend to have allergies to........well everything. Switching food will be the first place to start. Try a grain free from Fromm. Alot of bulldogs on this forum that have suffered with allergies have found some if not alot of relief just by switching to a higher quality of food.

OP
M

mmccutchan9825

Feb 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
Where do I get this Fromm. The adult worked well on her just not the sensitive skin. And what kind of Fromm do I need to get? Is any kind is good?

OP
M

mmccutchan9825

Feb 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
A vet I know feeds her bull dogs Purina Pro Plan Salmon diet and also gives them omega 3 daily and some allergy thing. I don't know if that is extreme or good dog food. But I would rather her not itch then anything!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
A vet I know feeds her bull dogs Purina Pro Plan Salmon diet and also gives them omega 3 daily and some allergy thing. I don't know if that is extreme or good dog food. But I would rather her not itch then anything!

Purina is :barf:. Check out this article....http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content/dog-food-ratings-219/

and this one. Let me know what you think. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...g-Dog-Food-Labels-and-Finding-Bad-Ingredients

and
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=227-Frequently-Asked-Dog-Food-Questions

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My first bullie had a terrible itchy, flaky skin problem. This was before I knew better about diet. I used a dog shampoo that had coal tar in it and it helped Mable. Along with diet, maybe you can try that?

You'll also want to make sure that the "hot spot" is just that and not some kind of infection. A trip to the vet would be a good idea. Since she's new to you, getting a baseline on her health will help you going forward.

Thanks for giving her a forever home.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Hey ! ..... I was gonna use this Topic (Help!!! Jack has skin issues !) for my next thread...... :(

I agree with the food switch. Science Diet is full of Whole grains and mostly corn , which to most bullies, is like poison ......

Oatmeal shampoos are great but unless you tackle the problem from this inside, the shampoos and any topical ointments would not have much success...

If FROMM is not available in your aream you could order online from PETFLOW.com
There are OTHER great foods too... Natures Variety Instint is another good one...

Good luck...

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Ok first off your bully has been through a lot. Taken from home, living in a shelter, now you have her. Bullies are very sensitive to change. For the purpose of getting your bully settled I would put them back on the science diet that was working. This gives you time to find another good food as science diet is garbage as far as I'm concerned. It also gives you time to take your bully to the vet for a check up as [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] stated. Getting your bully stable n settled in her new home is first in my opinion then when she is ok then I would do a food change in a few weeks. Check out the food ratings chart or you can order fromm if you want but there is not the rush about it as there is now. Also if your bully is allergic to grains then the oatmeal shampoo might be bothering them. Get a blood allergy test it takes a lot of allergy guess work out of it.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4311]mmccutchan9825[/MENTION] -- welcome to the site and EBN. Thank you for saving Miss Lulu.

Follow what Sandra ([MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]) has advised... get her settled into her new home and then tackle the food/allergies issues. A full blood screen allergy test is what you want done -- it lets you know food and environmental

Good luck --- keep us posted and let's see some picture of your new baby girl!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@mmccutchan9825 -- welcome to the site and EBN. Thank you for saving Miss Lulu.

Follow what Sandra (@cowsmom ) has advised... get her settled into her new home and then tackle the food/allergies issues. A full blood screen allergy test is what you want done -- it lets you know food and environmental

Good luck --- keep us posted and let's see some picture of your new baby girl!

I agree! And bravo to you for giving her a wonderful future! :hug:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You could always try her on a raw diet...but only if you are comfortable with the handling of raw meat. I think it freaks some people out. However, there is a section especiallly for raw feeding if you want to check it out. Good luck with Lulu either way! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.