Raw spots/ little abrasions on outside of eyes

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] I am afraid he will be allergic to numerous items too. Then what? Obviously antihistamines have been giving him no relief. They haven't helped control his symptoms at all....so then what? Does he just live with his discomfort? :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama What do you mean by steroids?

A lot of vets place dogs on steriods (Predizone) to address what they see to be an allergic reaction... it suppresses the allergy and the results will come back as a false negative. So, if on them it is best to wait 30 days after the last dose to make sure it is out of the blood stream.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I read an analogy of allergies that stuck with me...imagine a body as a big rain barrel, it can hold a lot of water (allergens) before it spills over it's edges (allergy symptoms) ...if we can't cure the allergies our goal should be to keep the barrel from spilling over or having reactions.

I know this can be done because I have an 8 year old Weimaraner who's first 2 1/2 years were misrable because she allergic to everything in Ohio... But after I ripped out the carpet, installed some air purifiers ( to cut down on dust), changed the mattresses to temperpedic memory foam ( dust mites can't live that material), started to wipe her down with a damp cloth after she'd been outside, supplemented her diet with bee pollen and green tea, and more....I finally got her under the point where her barrel stopped spilling over. She's still allergic but we've managed to alleviate the reactions.

And my vet, too explained how allergy test can be unreliable, especially the ones that test food sensitivities. But my tricks for my weim don't carry over to my bully, so I'll have him tested and see if I can't get him under his threshold, too.

I hope that makes sense

Most Reactions