Thread: Raw spots/ little abrasions on outside of eyes

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Raw spots/ little abrasions on outside of eyes

Get him an allergy test, that way you might be able to keep him under his allergy response threshold, if you can manage what's triggering his reaction. It's really hard to do that if you don't know what he's allergic to.... The test might give you a place to start.

With that said, I'm finally having the test done on my guy....I know he has allergies but I've been afraid to get the test because if the results are he's allergic to everything then I'd drive us both crazy trying to manage the allergens.

But I'm going with the attitude of knowledge is power and having him tested the end of March.

Good luck...

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

I had heard nothing but good things about blood allergy testing on this forum and how people received lists of things to avoid. But when I asked my vet he said a lot of times the results are minimal and don't garner great results or much of any results. I find that hard to believe based on what I have heard from others. Maybe he was referring to the majority of dog breeds but not the breeds that are very allergy-prone like bullys?? Either way, I believe it's $180 for the test which is a lot less inexpensive than I had assumed it would be so I think I might have it done anyway. We wanted to perhaps try switching his food and see if that helps (since we need to anyway because of the issues with Natural Balance I have been hearing) and then if nothing clears up or if things worsen then we would try the allergy test. Do you think that sounds like a good plan or should we just do the allergy test first?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Meggs19 View Post
    I had heard nothing but good things about blood allergy testing on this forum and how people received lists of things to avoid. But when I asked my vet he said a lot of times the results are minimal and don't garner great results or much of any results. I find that hard to believe based on what I have heard from others. Maybe he was referring to the majority of dog breeds but not the breeds that are very allergy-prone like bullys?? Either way, I believe it's $180 for the test which is a lot less inexpensive than I had assumed it would be so I think I might have it done anyway. We wanted to perhaps try switching his food and see if that helps (since we need to anyway because of the issues with Natural Balance I have been hearing) and then if nothing clears up or if things worsen then we would try the allergy test. Do you think that sounds like a good plan or should we just do the allergy test first?
    The allergy test only takes about a week to get the results back,,,, and as long as your baby has not had any steriods in there system for 30 dyas - you will get some get information back. The results give a high/low sensitivity rating -- this way you know what to avoid
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

@Saalwi I am afraid he will be allergic to numerous items too. Then what? Obviously antihistamines have been giving him no relief. They haven't helped control his symptoms at all....so then what? Does he just live with his discomfort?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

@2BullyMama What do you mean by steroids?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Meggs19 View Post
    @2BullyMama What do you mean by steroids?

A lot of vets place dogs on steriods (Predizone) to address what they see to be an allergic reaction... it suppresses the allergy and the results will come back as a false negative. So, if on them it is best to wait 30 days after the last dose to make sure it is out of the blood stream.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Raw spots/ little abrasions on outside of eyes

I read an analogy of allergies that stuck with me...imagine a body as a big rain barrel, it can hold a lot of water (allergens) before it spills over it's edges (allergy symptoms) ...if we can't cure the allergies our goal should be to keep the barrel from spilling over or having reactions.

I know this can be done because I have an 8 year old Weimaraner who's first 2 1/2 years were misrable because she allergic to everything in Ohio... But after I ripped out the carpet, installed some air purifiers ( to cut down on dust), changed the mattresses to temperpedic memory foam ( dust mites can't live that material), started to wipe her down with a damp cloth after she'd been outside, supplemented her diet with bee pollen and green tea, and more....I finally got her under the point where her barrel stopped spilling over. She's still allergic but we've managed to alleviate the reactions.

And my vet, too explained how allergy test can be unreliable, especially the ones that test food sensitivities. But my tricks for my weim don't carry over to my bully, so I'll have him tested and see if I can't get him under his threshold, too.

I hope that makes sense

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads