Please Help! 8mnth old had seizure after surgery

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi! My little boy Brutus is 8 1/2 months old and just had surgery for a prolapsed urethra. He had the surgery 1 week ago and at the same time also was neuterd to prevent relaspe. Well after surgery he was bleeding which they said would last up to 3 weeks. The bleeding has gotten a little better but not much. We took him home after 3 days in the hospital! Its been a week since surgery and yesterday I woke up and took him out of the cage to go potty and he went to the corner and laid down stiff and starting shake a little bit! I tried to call his name and and rub him but it was like he was out of it! It was the scariest thing for me and I stayed calm b/c I didnt want to upset him more! I went straight to the ER which is 1 hr away! they did some neurological test and said all was okay but could be a number of different things and the only way to know would be to run test that would cost about 1500. Well we just spent 3200 on the prev surgery 1 week ago! Said that we should wait to see if it happens again and take it from there so I said ok as long as it was okay for Brutus! Well as well has that they said the prolapsed urethra is back WHATTTTT its been 1 week I know it can come back but that quick???? BTW today Brutus didnt shake but his body fell to the ground eyes open aware but couldnt really pick his body up and the 2 mins later he got up like it was nothing! Can anyone please help???? I know I typed a lot and Im all over the place but this is my first bulldog and I have done hours of research and talked to all different vets! If I have to spend the money I will do what I have to b/c he is my little boy ALWAYS!!!

Thank you so much in advance!

Rich, Rosemarie, Brutus and Chanel

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so sorry. I can feel your fear and panic. I know nothing about this but how can he till have the same problem he had after that surgery and that expense.i know I would research nd find a ood bully vet or a teaching hospital or another opinion. I'm certin in New Jersey there has to be a good teaching hospital. I'll tag a few people who hopefully can help you. Hang in there. Take a deep breath. @desertskybulldogs . @Davidh . @2BullyMama . @Libra926. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks so much! I have been so nervous and havent really slept! I constantly look at him and set up a bed right next to his crate so he can see me at all times and feel extra comfort! THey told me that for another surgery it will be 800-1000 to fix the prolapsed urethra again but we have to wait another 2 weeks for another surgery but still thats too soon for my Brutus to be sedated again! He needs to have it fixed because the blood loss cant be good for him either but they said its normal to me it cant be! The hospital is supposedly one of the best in Jersey its in Tinton Falls Dr Scavelli ..... They seem very aware of the breed and I saw other bulldogs during my visits but any other advice/input is definalty appreciated! Thanks again and if anyone knows of any DRs in Jersey that can help Ill drive if I have to!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would definitely call the vet that did the surgery, and tell him what's going on. Plus if it came back he needs to fix it at no charge to you. Is he drinking plenty of water? Just wondering if he may be dehydrated, sense he is bleeding some. Please keep us posted.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the reply so quick! Yes he has seen the vet yesterday for the seizure and today the surgeon looked at the prolapse and said that its normal to come back. He has been going to the same hospital/dr that did the surgery.. Im confused because it didnt even heal yet so how could it have returned? I dont know anything about this and the dr said that they have seen this before and that it would happen. Yes I read to give lots of fluids and I keep his bowl filled for him! I just dont know why I have to pay another 1000 when a week ago I paid 3200 and yesterday 290 for them to check him for the sezuire and the neurological test took literally like 10 mins I was like what alreay done???? Im so confused and scared for my baby I want to make sure I make the right choices for him! I dont want him to suffer and be in pain! THey gave me the pain meds Tramadol but I feel like thats causing him to have the seziure

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Hope he gets better soon. Sorry but that doesn't sound right to me that they want to charge you again. Unless it is a surgery for something like a luxation where they tell you it's a 50/50 chance it won't work and you are taking a big chance. Sorry they sound a bit crappy. I live in NYC and if the drive isn't too bad for you, I would like to recommend NY Animal Medical Center (Www.Amcny.org). It is a great facility with wonderful staff for serious issues .

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks so much Bizzy? :) Yes they did tell me there was a chance for relaspe but never said within a week or anytime frame for that matter! I would think the area should heal first before it can happen again? Im scared to tell them I shouldnt have to pay and all b/c I feel like my babys life is in their hands, I just dont want them to give him less care b/c they arent being paid for it .....I just want the absolute best care for him! Thanks you guys so so much for all this advice and listening to me ramble on and on I just love him so much and I have only had him for about 6 mnths! He is the best thing that happend to our family!!!! :)

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Honestly they should feel responsible as caring health professionals. The only thing I could see is them maybe saying that he had the relapse because you didn't follow their care directives. I think they should take care of it at no cost. If you have any slight inkling that they are only in it for the money and not truly about the animals, then find another vet. These pups are not just pets to us, they are our babies and families. Hubby and I always say we have skin kids and fur kids. I will say a little puppy prayer for him for a speedy recovery.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Don't have any info for you, but I have been in and out of the ER with my Gio since Thursday! Its scary! You just feel so helpless and bad for them! Please keep us posted about Brutus, and GOOD LUCK with everything!!

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
For the past week I havent been sleeping b/c Im scared he will have an episode while im sleeping! He cant tell me somethings wrong! But its crazy cause at times he is sad and looks different but right now he is playing with his taggie toy! I dont get it! Thanks so much I hope everything with Gio goes well and he gets well soon? Whats going on with him?

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bizzy thanks so much! My moms 2 dogs and my brothers dog have gone there and no problems always had great care! I didnt think they were about the money but I kinda felt that way today....Im glad I have my fellow friends on here to help me with information on how to handle these situations!They told me to keep doing everything Im doing I have followed every instruction as given lol :) They just said that its possible??? I wanted to see if anyone has a similar exp with the same type of surgery to get a better idea! I thank you all again so much and Brutus does too!!!! I love this site :)

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
BTW does it matter that its not his normal vet! He has been seeing the dr at the animal hospital since the vet reffered us over to them! The vet is the best in Roselle, NJ they saw us right away at no charge and reffered us over to the drs at the animal hospital when we noticed the prolaped urethra at first! A lot of people I know have gone to his hospital so I figured they were good and as well I spoke with a couple other bulldog owners who I saw at the office the times I have gone and have always gotten good reviews..I have googled the hospital and read all diff review so i just dont know what to think!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Tramadol is a very safe drug for you pup in my opinion. [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] is a pharmacist, so she might have a little more information for you. I don't think the tramadol would cause a seizure....but I could see the stress over the surgery and possible pain could cause something like a seizure. Low blood sugar can cause a seizure (if you know any type 1 diabetics...they can tell you all about hypoglycemia and diabetic seizures!!)

As for your vet. I would throw a freaking fit. There is no way I would accept that was a re-occurrence vs being improperly done. I think you are on the right track. For it to re-occur, it would first have to be healed. Since it hasn't even healed, it wasn't done correctly. I call malpractice! If they want you to pay for another procedure, they need to refund you for the first one. Have you done research on the likelihood of this happening so quickly after surgery?

The reason I was tagged in this was to support you in the possibility of a seizure. I have a 4 year old bulldog who has epilepsy. He was diagnosed at the tender age of 10 months old. He has the more violent grand-mal seizures....usually lasting between 2 to 3 minutes. I'm going to attach a link for you to view it, if you wish. It is kind of hard to watch, but keep in mind that he is a normal and happy boy. These seizures happen every couple of months (we are currently over 2 months from our last seizure)..... :dancing: and that is huge for us. The test they probably were wanting to run is an MRI, which is a normal test to run in this sort of situation when being questioned with the possibility of epilepsy. In my opinion, what they are looking for is a brain tumor. Did they do a blood glucose reading on him when you took him to the ER after the seizure? There are so many different possibilities. Here is the video....Let me know if it was anything at all like this one. http://youtu.be/M4OGQXUUQnM

Last edited:
OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG Libra thanks so much! I was actually doing research and havent found cases of it returining in 1 week but the vet said they have had cases of it! Its just weird to me! They are giving me a discount but I still feel that I shouldnt have to pay...I havent said anything to them b/c there is no price for my handsome boy but whats fair is fair at the same time you know...I was hoping to try to find other cases of the surgery and see what the outcome was... About the seizures Its amazing b/c I was trying to find videos to watch to see if I could match his with someone else! I came across your video before you sent me the link how funny right? The first one he had yesterday morning was this exact thing lasted maybe 1 min and then he was fine his normal self...Today he didnt shake or look out of it really he just fell to the ground and wouldnt drink or stand up! kinda like his back legs gave out 2 x in about 2-3 hr span I got so scared I tried to give him water to take his mind off it and he didnt drink so I put a little on his nose and mouth (i didnt know what to do) ...THe vet didnt take blood glucose yesterday? They said they took blood before surgery im not sure if that would have been checked! they said they did a neurological test yesterday and it was negative that cost 290 and today they didnt charge me for the er visit b/c of his bleeding from urethra so I dont think its just money cause they do care I just dont know what to think!

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
BTW So glad to hear Vegas is getting better! I saw the video from when he was in the kitchen and Orion kept trying to play with him...I was balling my eyes out my fiance thought something happend and then i showed it to him bc it was the same thing and he teared up! I thought it was amazing how Orion was trying to help out the situation! So glad things are well please keep me posted on the little guy! MY prayers are with you and your family

Rosemarie

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.