Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Please Help! 8mnth old had seizure after surgery

Tramadol is a very safe drug for you pup in my opinion. @cali baker is a pharmacist, so she might have a little more information for you. I don't think the tramadol would cause a seizure....but I could see the stress over the surgery and possible pain could cause something like a seizure. Low blood sugar can cause a seizure (if you know any type 1 diabetics...they can tell you all about hypoglycemia and diabetic seizures!!)

As for your vet. I would throw a freaking fit. There is no way I would accept that was a re-occurrence vs being improperly done. I think you are on the right track. For it to re-occur, it would first have to be healed. Since it hasn't even healed, it wasn't done correctly. I call malpractice! If they want you to pay for another procedure, they need to refund you for the first one. Have you done research on the likelihood of this happening so quickly after surgery?

The reason I was tagged in this was to support you in the possibility of a seizure. I have a 4 year old bulldog who has epilepsy. He was diagnosed at the tender age of 10 months old. He has the more violent grand-mal seizures....usually lasting between 2 to 3 minutes. I'm going to attach a link for you to view it, if you wish. It is kind of hard to watch, but keep in mind that he is a normal and happy boy. These seizures happen every couple of months (we are currently over 2 months from our last seizure)..... and that is huge for us. The test they probably were wanting to run is an MRI, which is a normal test to run in this sort of situation when being questioned with the possibility of epilepsy. In my opinion, what they are looking for is a brain tumor. Did they do a blood glucose reading on him when you took him to the ER after the seizure? There are so many different possibilities. Here is the video....Let me know if it was anything at all like this one. http://youtu.be/M4OGQXUUQnM
    Last edited by Libra926; 02-14-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

OMG Libra thanks so much! I was actually doing research and havent found cases of it returining in 1 week but the vet said they have had cases of it! Its just weird to me! They are giving me a discount but I still feel that I shouldnt have to pay...I havent said anything to them b/c there is no price for my handsome boy but whats fair is fair at the same time you know...I was hoping to try to find other cases of the surgery and see what the outcome was... About the seizures Its amazing b/c I was trying to find videos to watch to see if I could match his with someone else! I came across your video before you sent me the link how funny right? The first one he had yesterday morning was this exact thing lasted maybe 1 min and then he was fine his normal self...Today he didnt shake or look out of it really he just fell to the ground and wouldnt drink or stand up! kinda like his back legs gave out 2 x in about 2-3 hr span I got so scared I tried to give him water to take his mind off it and he didnt drink so I put a little on his nose and mouth (i didnt know what to do) ...THe vet didnt take blood glucose yesterday? They said they took blood before surgery im not sure if that would have been checked! they said they did a neurological test yesterday and it was negative that cost 290 and today they didnt charge me for the er visit b/c of his bleeding from urethra so I dont think its just money cause they do care I just dont know what to think!

Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

BTW So glad to hear Vegas is getting better! I saw the video from when he was in the kitchen and Orion kept trying to play with him...I was balling my eyes out my fiance thought something happend and then i showed it to him bc it was the same thing and he teared up! I thought it was amazing how Orion was trying to help out the situation! So glad things are well please keep me posted on the little guy! MY prayers are with you and your family

Rosemarie

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

A couple of things to think about, did they ever tell you that it would probably come back? Did they give you odds of a fully successful surgery?

I would also call other vets on the phone who are surgeons and find out what THEY say the success rate is.

An example is the vet who told me it was not uncommon to lose a couple of puppies during a c section. 20% to be exact. My now (current) vet says 100% survival if there is not anything wrong with the puppy genetically. So obviously I now use vet #2 with a 100% success rate.

I actually met my new vet by calling around and talking to vets about it. A second opinion may be just what you need right now .

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Yes I totally agree! I have been online looking in my area for bulldog specialized vets and will be calling all 6 first think in the morning! THey did say there was a chance of relapse but never said as early as 1 week and after paying 3200 still having to pay another 1000 I mean if I have to yes I will pay it but I wanted to see what everyone else thought I should do and I so greatly appreciate everyone giving me and my baby great advice!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I also want to chime back in about the Tramadol. It's very..very safe. We had a Rottie with severe spinal stenosis and she got 2 to 4 every 6 hours for years. It also helped her later relieve pain from bone cancer. Soi highly doubt you need to worry thatis the culprit. to you...I know you I'll get to the bottom of this.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I just reread my post.....I probably shouldn't try to type when I'm totally watching Ben get bulldozed by Courtney on the Bachelor. He is such a blind idiot...but that is beside the point.
    I do have videos of a couple of seizures..both grand-Mal and a petit mals. Also of his bubblegum fits. Just browse thru my channel and take a look. When Vegas had his first seizure, I turned to youtube for information. At the time, the only thing I could find was a puppy dreaming and the owner saying "OMG...my puppy is having a seizure". I was irritated.... having a bulldog who was actually suffering from the disease and having people post obvious videos and honestly believing they were having a seizure. Thats when I set out to document and record his seizures. I posted them on youtube for the sole purpose of educating. I can honestly say that the videos have done that. I've had heartache also. I've had people telling me I needed to euthanize Vegas because of his epilepsy. I know. I know. You can't educate the idiots.

With all this being said, try and get something on video. It helps so much to be able to show what is going on instead of trying to explain it.

Also, keep researching. Get all your information together...then approach the clinic with all your documents. Did he have any post op checkups? If so...how did they say his recovery was coming along.
    I wish you the best, and please keep us informed.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I really hope the vet can straighten out what is going on with your boy. That must be so scary. And @Libra926 ...that has probably helped lots of people that you put a video up of Vegas seizing....I can imagine there aren't many resources like that for other owners of dogs with similar issues. Good job to you!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

hi Rosemarie, i'm sorry about your little one and all the health issues.

Finn, when he was around 7mos old was dx'd w/a prolapsed urethra. The vet told me about the surgery but actually discouraged me from having it done to him b/c of the high relapse rate. Because there is so much blood flow/vascularization in that particular area, fixing a prolapsed urethra 100% isn't always possible, according to the vet. She did however encourage me to have Finn neutered ASAP however b/c she said that would in all likelihood fix the urethra on its own. So 1 week later i had him neutered and ever since then, no more problems w/the urethra. I felt so relieved.

I just recall how my vet was very discouraging about having such a surgery done; not saying it is never successful but that success rate isn't very high. There was another member on this board who also had a bully w/a PU, and if i can find that thread,i will give you the link.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

This is a thread i started about Finn's sx's, not sure if it is much help:
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...-privates.html

also tagging @pdac1975 bc they had experience w/Prolapsed urethra as well and may have some insight too.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

@ChanelnBrutus - I've no wisdom for you on this topic -- but I can surely imagine how frightening it all is. Thinking healing thoughts for your boy and hoping for peace of mind for you....

Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Oh my I cant begin to tell you how I feel right now! Reading all these posts and kind words for my little boy is making me tear! We had a good night last night he slept like a baby (I didnt) but he is feeling good today so I dont care im tired! He had to have emergency surgery for the prolapse b/c there was excessive amounts of blood loss on a daily basis it just got worse so our normal vet referred us to the hosptial...Yes they saw him 1 week after surgery and said he would most likely need to have another surgery to try and fix it! I just dont want to put him through that again I feel so helpless for my baby! I have been up all night researching to see what I can do! Calibaker you were very lucky with your little boy and so happy he is doing well now!

AGAIN I WANT TO SAY THANK YOU TO EVERYONE! YOU ALL ARE AMAZING PEOPLE AND YOUR BULLDOG BABIES ARE SO LUCKY TO HAVE YOU ALL!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads