fold above nose gets swollen

vinmancoco

Feb 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Igor
Hi. I am new to this forum and decided to join due to an issue I am having with my bulldog, Igor. At certain times for no apparent reason his fold above his nose and under his eyes will swell very baldy. It normally takes at least 3-4 hours for the swelling to go down. His face also gets very red. It doesn't seem to be bother him, but it bothers me because it cannot be comfortable for him.

I do his fold cleaning usually every other day or so. I used to use baby wipes, but that seemed to really bother him. Maybe due to the alcohol? After cleaning with the baby wipes, he would rub his face very hard. Now I use medicated wipes that I got from my vet. They don't seem to bother him.

I did ask my vet about this issue, but they couldn't give me a straight answer, other than it being due to allergies. They told me to give him benadryl a few times a day. That seemed to help his other issues (scratching and what looked like acne on his cheeks). The few times his face has swollen though, the benedryl has not seemed to have any effect.

I have attached a picture of what his face looks like when it is swollen and red. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you igorswollen.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi and welcome to the site and wonderful world of bulldogs.

Try using a little witch hazel once or twice a week on the folds. Also, what are you feeding him? Food has every thing to do with the health of a bully as they are very sensitive.

Read the food ratings and recommendations on the Nutrition page - it will help you a lot.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ooooh..that looks like it hurts! I agree with Christine..a little witch hazel on a Qtip to clean his fold and if it's red and sore..I would use a tiny..tiny..dab of desitin on a Qtip. All the wipes might irritate..I'd only do a couple times a week. I agree I would check out slowly changing him to a good food (depending on what he's eating now) Benadryl will help with environmental allergies. You honestly won't know if he has a food allergy without a full allergy screening from your vet. Good luck..poor guy...

OP
V

vinmancoco

Feb 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Igor
I feed him Royal Canin bulldog 24 food, which he has been on for a while now. The breeder I got him from fed him the Royal Canin puppy food, so I kept him on the same brand. My vet and what I have read said that it is good food, but I will definitely try the witch hazel and desitin, and also check the nutrition forum for ratings on the food. Maybe there is something better that I can be giving him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I feed him Royal Canin bulldog 24 food, which he has been on for a while now. The breeder I got him from fed him the Royal Canin puppy food, so I kept him on the same brand. My vet and what I have read said that it is good food, but I will definitely try the witch hazel and desitin, and also check the nutrition forum for ratings on the food. Maybe there is something better that I can be giving him.

WAY better.... you will find RC is NOT a good food. I had Banks on it because I was getting it for free, but shortly after found out it was not good for her and she is allergic to chicken sp I had two reasons to get her off it. Best is to read the articles and go from there. I have Banks on Fromm Beef and she is doing great on it, but as we said every bully is different.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

:eek: batten down the hatches! You are about to feel incoming! Royal Canin is CRAP! It is one of the lowest rated foods and I bet that's the majority of his problems! Remember..the vast majority of vets recommend the food whose sales reps come into their offices and give them their sales pitch! It's up to us as owners to really research nd find out the truth. Please go to our Dog Food Raings page and also the page that explains how to read the labels on the bag and what they mean! Don't feel bad..we all have been where you are. We are here to help you and by educating yourself you will be sure your wonderful Bully gets nd stays healthy! :up:

OP
V

vinmancoco

Feb 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Igor
Thanks for the advice. Looking at that ratings page really shows me how low this food is and how aggrevated I now am because of how expensive it is. I will definitely be trying a different dog food for him now.

Thank you for the help.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
RC is definitely crappy food. I find that vets and breeders (sorry don't mean to disparage any good ones) tend to push the stuff from companies that are giving them good pricing like RC and Eukanuba. There are way better foods out there and it will cost you roughly the same or even a bit less. When they eat a high quality food, they tend to not need to eat as much so that helps to bring down your cost a bit. I feed my yorkie, bullie and siamese cat Merricks B4 Grain.

Good luck transitioning him to a good food, odds are that will go away once you change over. RC, Eukanuba and a lot of other foods have so much additives and corn fillers (which is a huge source of allergies).

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Hope you find a better food that works for him soon. I really hate that vets will push a crappy food like science diet or something else like it. But then again, vets make more money when you're constantly bringing your sick bully in to see him for yet another ailment right? Grrr!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4299]vinmancoco[/MENTION] while i agree rc food is crap and this maybe a food issue i was wondering exactly when does his face to this. you said it happens and takes 3 or 4 hours to go down. is there a pattern to when it happens. like after he eats or is it after he goes outside. is it after a bath or when he lays on his favorite pillow. just wondering. if you need help with a food there are people here who can help you. also you might try zyrtec instead of benadryl might help his face more. good luck let us know how its going.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.