Food for a bulldog puppy

justintimefordinner

Feb 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Hi there,
I'm getting my first english bulldog puppy in about five weeks from now. I've done lots of reading and research on the breed but still am confused on what my dog should eat. I've grown up with flat coat retrievers and they aren't as sensitive to food as I've read bulldogs to be. I bought a bag of Blue Wilderness Puppy food because in one of the puppy books i have bought it said its important to make sure the top three ingredients were a type of meat, and at the store this was one of the few meeting those requirements. I also made sure it had no grains because i've read of food allergies associated with some bulldogs and grains. I have talked to my breeder, and the only issues the parents have had have been mild skin irritation, which i have read can be avoided with proper diet? So after reading articles on raw diets, different puppy foods, amounts of food to feed, I have come here to try to figure it all out for once. I feel like I've read so much conflicting information, and I don't want to feed my pup the wrong stuff.
Also, I've read that you can feed the puppy as much as it will eat up to 4 times a day up to 4 months old? As long as puppy is active. I've also read that adding a teaspoon of cottage cheese, and a teaspoon of olive oil can be beneficial as well...

-Justin

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=4298]justintimefordinner[/MENTION] it sounds like you have been doing your homework, good job. don't get discouraged if you don't succeed the first time with the food. You are on the right track. I have switched food many times and still hope it's the right food, each bully's system is different, you will find that out on this wonderful site. And by the way welcome and when puppy arrives, share lots of pictures. :welcome:

OP
J

justintimefordinner

Feb 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
thank you! I've been trying, I've wanted a bulldog sense I was a little kid and now I finally have the opportunity to get one! I will definitely share lots of pictures!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Justin and welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of bulldogs. The reason you read so many different opinions is because every bully is different , what is good for one may be bad for another. You are definitely on the right track with all the research and reading you have done. Joining our site will only strengthen what you know now and our support system does wonders.

Blue Wilderness is a good food to start with and I would wait on the cottage cheese till he is a little older, maybe 6 months or so.

You can also read the articles we have under nutrition about food ratings and recommendations, as well, as what 35 items you need for a bulldog puppy. These are great resources and all provided by bulldog owners, which is very different from dog owners.

Bravo to you for all the research and best of luck with your new bully ---- don't forget pictures once you get him.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
thank you! I've been trying, I've wanted a bulldog sense I was a little kid and now I finally have the opportunity to get one! I will definitely share lots of pictures!

Congratulations on your wish coming true, I have always wanted to surround myself with bully's and at a ripe age, I'm doing it! The love you get from a Bulldog will be like no other.

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
I will ALWAYS plug Wellness core. It helped make Hudson strong, energetic, and lean. I foster with Midatlantic Bulldog Rescue, and I switch every pup to core. Each of them has improvement in skin/health, energy, and weight. But just as [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] said, everyone is different, so don't get discouraged and keep reading.

Congrats on your upcoming puppy! You will find it was the best wish you ever had in your life and better than you expected.

And for goodness sake YES PICTURES PLEASE!!!!!!!! :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey Welcome to the site! I fed my bully from the moment we got him Solid gold lamb/rice puppy food and its been great since ... like others said pictures when he comes please lol This site has great info for us first timers lol I learn something new everyday

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.