nail-clipping success, finally!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I wish I had the guts to do my boys. I get that anxious feeling in my gut when the vet does them even. I am such a wuss, I wont even clip my daughters nails. haha. We file instead.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
oh,those are large breed clippers. My son has them for his German Sheppard. My "quick finder" clippers are the same, but they have a light that turns red if too close to the quick. That is if you dog stays still long enough.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I know there are threads devoted to this but the Dremel is a great tool for grinding down bullie nails if all else fails!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
I use the dremel after I clip, because I don't like to clip to much.

Just a note: Today I tried this with Bella and Sophie. Bella was worse on the counter, but it worked great with Sophie (our Belgium Malanois)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Ok, O and Horse are the same. Orions SCREAMS when I try to clip them. So, I stuck her on the counter and..................

she let me do it! Not all of them, but a few on each paw. I say SUCCESS!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I wish I had the guts to do my boys. I get that anxious feeling in my gut when the vet does them even. I am such a wuss, I wont even clip my daughters nails. haha. We file instead.

Most of Vegas nails are black, but I've always cut them. I look underneath the nail to see how much growth is there. I simply cut what would be equivalent to the white on our nails. I've never hit the quick on any of my babies AND I've clipped Delta, Echo and Charli's with success. You can do it!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
It is a success. I am going to try Abby later. She always runs and hides in her kennel once she sees the clippers (and ear flush). It takes about 6 hours for her to come back out. I never pull her out, I want her to feel that is a safe spot for her.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Look at the underside of the nails...you will see a little groove on the underside. As long as you don't trim past it, you will be fine. I have never hit the quick of any of my dogs nails, and I always go by this.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I know once I did one it would be ok to do the rest but that loud clip of such a thick nail gives me the heebie jeebies. My anxiety over it is then put on the boys which makes for a bad situation anyhow. Cutty never used to mind getting his nails done and now is a big baby probably because of me. :eek: I compare the thought to shooting a gun for the first time. (I know most people probably dont know what i mean) Anticipating it being so loud and the kick it may have etc... All in my head I know but my head is very creative in its thinking when it comes to these things. haha
We did get a dremmel but I think it doesnt have enough power to do long nails. We need to use it right after the boys get their nails clipped and then keep it up after and we never have remembered.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.