Food issues and allergys

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abby throws up anything she eats lately. The vet wanted me to feed her Science Diet and I know that's not good. I started mixing it with NVI but she wouldn't eat it. Then I started mixing it with Orijen but she wouldn't eat that either. I went back to mixing the SD with the NVI and mixing it with yogurt. All she would do is lick the yogurt out and leave the kibbles. Now we're trying Fromm puppy. Sometime she will eat it, sometimes not. The other day she started throwing up. Then the diarrhea started again. She threw up what little she ate 4 hours after she ate it. As gross as this sounds, it looked almost exactly the same way it went in. It's as if it didn't digest at all. I made her chicken and rice. The little bugger pushed the rice aside and ate all the chicken. It took me almost half an hour to pick the rice out of her nose!! Her stomach appears to normal again, poops are almost solid and but she won't eat today. I'm starting to see her rib bones again :(I noticed her eyes are watering a lot now. Should I get her allergy tested now? At just shy of 4 months is it too soon? I called the vet and they tell me a full allergy assessment will cost 325.00 but the receptionist couldn't tell me if she is too young or not.

(I just realized this is in the wrong place. I thought I was in nutrition... sorry)

Last edited:

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] , I hope you are switching foods gradually as bulldogs have very sensitive digestive systems. I am thinking her problem is the food and the way your switching her(Fromm is very good dog food). I sugest you buy a slow feeder ,this will help her by slowing down the way she eats.Keep her calm and do not let her run around for a while after she eats I also recomend raised dishes for her. Adding eggs to her food is a way of getting her interesting in eating too. (a little water on her food is a good idea)

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm not switching fast at all. EB's sensitive tummy was the first thing I learned when I found EBN :) 1/4 new stuff to 3/4 old stuff. She was eating the Science Diet by itself. The second I started mixing a little NVI into it she walked away from it. 2 days of her not eating at all, that was when I tried mixing the Orijen into the SD. When she wouldn't touch that either I bought Fromm puppy gold and mixed some of that into the SD.

If I give her the science diet stuff she picks at it. She eats it but never all of it and it takes her a long time to eat the little that she does (I only put 1 cup per feeding into the bowl). I've tried with and without water, it doesn't make a difference.

Roxy eats Beneful. I know that it's crap now, but before I found this website and a new vet I didn't know it was that bad. The vet told me that Beneful is the McDonalds of dog food lol. Abby wants that! She'll eat that if I don't pick up Roxy's bowl in time.

It's the throwing up that concerns me the most. She's not digesting what she is eating. That's why I was thinking of the allergy test.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
With all the switching, I would skip a day of food. Let the tummy settle. Or at least one meal, then offer bland diet for 24 hours, then slowly add new kibble. I know you are not switching quickly like you said, but I am thinking too many switches, in a short length of time, not enough time to "get used to" the new food. I hope I am making sense :)

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I just figured she didn't like the other foods because she wasn't touching them. That was why I bought other stuff. I know that Orijen has a really strong, funky smell. I'm not sure I'd eat it either. She hasn't eaten anything at all since Wednesday night when she picked the chicken out of the rice. Now she won't even eat the chicken and rice. The vet says to leave the food in the bowl, if she gets hungry enough she will eat it. I've had the same bowl of SD and Fromm sitting there since last night. She hasn't touched it. She runs to Roxy's bowl of Beneful and tries to eat that. But then she throws it up and I'd prefer she not eat that stuff.

I'm worried about her starving to death, I can see her ribs again :(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I just figured she didn't like the other foods because she wasn't touching them. That was why I bought other stuff. I know that Orijen has a really strong, funky smell. I'm not sure I'd eat it either. She hasn't eaten anything at all since Wednesday night when she picked the chicken out of the rice. Now she won't even eat the chicken and rice. The vet says to leave the food in the bowl, if she gets hungry enough she will eat it. I've had the same bowl of SD and Fromm sitting there since last night. She hasn't touched it. She runs to Roxy's bowl of Beneful and tries to eat that. But then she throws it up and I'd prefer she not eat that stuff.

I'm worried about her starving to death, I can see her ribs again :(

Hang I there..I'm looking for [MENTION=3169]BellasMom[/MENTION]!!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I am here. I have a dog that would eat non-stop but would not digest any of it, it is a congenital issue called Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. It is where the pancreas does not form the enzymes to digest food and so the food just passes through, the main issue is diarrhea and extreme weight loss.

I would question a allergy, for her not to eat or digest would not be from a allergy. Have you tried Pumpkin in her food? That is good for digestion.
I would do has [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said, let her stomach settle down. When my other dogs have had vomiting issues, my vet said to only give them 3 ice cubes for 24 hours, shut down their system and then bring it back, slowly, small amounts.
I know you don't want her to eat the Beneful, however at this point it is what she wants to eat and is willing to eat. Will she eat it mixed with Orijen or Fromm's? Is she running a fever? I just wondered about some kind of flu type illness where she is just sick and needs to get over it. Wow I am rambling on....Just trying to think of different things it could be.

Do ck out the epi site. www.epi4dogs.com, read about the signs and symptoms, see if any of it will trigger a memory of something you may be missing.

also after you settle the system down, maybe try a dog formula/puppy cereal since it is bland then slowly mix in food.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
That's the thing, she's not sick at all. She throws up and goes right back to playing. I thought of allergies because of the food not digesting and her watery eyes.

She hates the pumpkin. I tried that when the diarrhea started. That was when I made the chicken and rice. All that got me was half an hour with the tweezers trying to hold her down to get the rice out of her nose lol But thankfully the diarrhea stopped.

Should I still do the ice cubes for a day even if she hasn't eaten anything since Wednesday night? I put it down, she smells it and walks away. I thought it was ok to try something different because she never even tried the NVI, Orijen or Fromms. I figured it was like me and fish. It smells funny so I wont eat it :)

I checked out the common symptoms of EPI on that website. I don't recognize any of those symptoms in Abby. I can't imagine how difficult that was for you to deal with.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] follow what Bella's Mom stated -- get her tummy settled, if she'll eat the chicken or Beneful give it to her and see has she does.

The allergy test is an option and her age should not matter form what I remember... there are two types of full blood screen test that can be done -- RAST test (radioallergosorbent) and an ELISA test (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). The tests are very similar, but many vets feel the ELISA test is more accurate in results.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
nice green smelly tripe may get her eating,after a very small feed put her somewhere she can rest for an hour like a crate,feed her in the crate even, if she needs the toilet take her on the leash ,i had a bully many years ago who was good at chucking up after her feed ,i then realised that as she was so young she couldnt keep still enough to digest it so i had to make her rest after feeding it worked for her ,its worth a try ,karen

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I've had Abby on boiled ground beef and brown rice since yesterday morning. She hasn't thrown up once (thank God!) Her eyes are bright and the spring is back in her step. She even got in to Roxy's Beneful last night before I could get to it, she kept that down too. She's a fast little thing lol

My question is, I'm going to start mixing in her food with the rice this afternoon. Do I mix both SD and Fromm into the rice or just straight Fromm?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've had Abby on boiled ground beef and brown rice since yesterday morning. She hasn't thrown up once (thank God!) Her eyes are bright and the spring is back in her step. She even got in to Roxy's Beneful last night before I could get to it, she kept that down too. She's a fast little thing lol My question is, I'm going to start mixing in her food with the rice this afternoon. Do I mix both SD and Fromm into the rice or just straight Fromm?

Why would you want to do the SD? That is usually for short term and if you got her stable on the bland diet... start bringing in what you want her to be on going forward

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
just pick one food to mix. to many foods at one time will confuse her tummy. id just go with the fromm. if at some point the throwing up starts go back to beef and rice and then try another. if the fromm doesnt work maybe pick something that is beef and rice in kibble. like what you are feeding her that she is keeping down. then move onto something more. keep us posted.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Why would you want to do the SD? That is usually for short term and if you got her stable on the bland diet... start bringing in what you want her to be on going forward

because that's what I was trying to feed her before she started getting sick. I wasn't sure if I should continue the slow switch or just jump into the new stuff. The last thing I want is for her to start throwing up again. I need some weight on this girl. I hate seeing her bones :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.