Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Bad Allergies to food, can I change drasticly!?

Hi everyone, so we are on our 4[SUP]th[/SUP] food for Gio in 5 weeks. We just got his new food today (Natural Balance Lamb and Brown Rice). I think he had a bad allergic reaction to his current food (Natural Balance Synergy). His current food main ingredient is Chicken. We are pretty confident that he is allergic to it. His face has been super pink, his wrinkles have been really pink and red, his eyes are really watery all the time and just tonight one of his eyes won’t open all the way. We started slowly giving him his new food but I am wondering if we can just be drastic and change his food? I just feel awful about his wrinkles and eyes! I am now cleaning his wrinkles 4 times a day and wiping his eyes 4 times a day! Any suggestions?
Gio face 4.jpgGio face 3.jpgGio face.jpgGio face 2.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I don't really have any advice to offer, but other definitely will. I just wanted to say that I hope he feels better soon!! Poor baby.

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you had the full blood screen allergy test done? All the guessing and pain will go away once you have the results. My girl had very similar reactions to we did the test and found out she is allergic to chicken. Our boy, was allergic to rice and all he did was throw up until we got the allergy testing done.

Most here will tell you not to do a quick switch due to upsetting the tummy and diarrhea, might be good idea to put him on a bland diet for a few days -- beef and rice or pasta.

GOOD luck and keep us posted

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
With that kind of reaction I would not do a slow switch. Pit him on the lamb n rice fully. That food is basically rice anyway so you can add some beef if you wish for protein. Get the test done also as soon as you can even if you just do food allergy. Sarah has been on like 15 foods. Good luck

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
So we are going to take him to the 24/7 animal hospital in Boston right now. A bit drastic but he won't stop scratching his eye and he looks so sore! Thanks so much everyone for the great advice, hopefully we will get this blood work done tonight! Will keep everyone posted!!

[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

brandi576

Jun 27, 2011
Seymour, Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
chance
i hope your baby feels better soon..ive been struggling with the allergys as well and as of right now i have chance on blue buffalo hollistic lamb and rice

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Keep us posted. I hope the vet can help give him some relief.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
O sorry..I'm late to this!. Poor baby..he looks so sore. I sure hope he got help and is feeling better! You too!

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The way he is squinting makes me think eye ulcer, which can be caused by allergies, or injury. Allergies cause the eyes to swell, thus making the eyelids roll in to become a condition called entropion. The hairs continuously rub the eye, causing ulcer.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So we are going to take him to the 24/7 animal hospital in Boston right now. A bit drastic but he won't stop scratching his eye and he looks so sore! Thanks so much everyone for the great advice, hopefully we will get this blood work done tonight! Will keep everyone posted!!

@MissPennyLue @2BullyMama @cowsmom

any update?

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
So, the vet said it could be an ulcer but when he tried go put the neon colored drop in Gio was not having it, he started crying and when the vet got close he barked (he has never barked at anybody before, the only time he might bark is if we are playing fetch). So he gave us eye drops to bring home and give him every 4hrs. Giving eye drops to dogs is close to impossible, we have to do it while he is half asleep. He is also taking benedryl now every 8hrs, and I think it's working because his eye is back to normal!!:D So now we are going to schedule an appointment with his regular vet to get the allergies tests done and he also going to see a dermatologist! Really glad we decided to go, his eye looks so great! Thanks everyone for the suuport!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So, the vet said it could be an ulcer but when he tried go put the neon colored drop in Gio was not having it, he started crying and when the vet got close he barked (he has never barked at anybody before, the only time he might bark is if we are playing fetch). So he gave us eye drops to bring home and give him every 4hrs. Giving eye drops to dogs is close to impossible, we have to do it while he is half asleep. He is also taking benedryl now every 8hrs, and I think it's working because his eye is back to normal!!:D So now we are going to schedule an appointment with his regular vet to get the allergies tests done and he also going to see a dermatologist! Really glad we decided to go, his eye looks so great! Thanks everyone for the suuport!

Good to hear it is getting better! Keep us posted on the allergy test and dermatologist visit.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION] I am glad he is better!! I hope his appt with his regular vet goes well

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.