BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie Smalls, Jack, Chubby, Doris, Molly, Jackie, Cloé, Maya, Mathilda, Becky
418604_324063374299211_100000866520471_875454_378148391_n.jpg

As you can see. Biggie has been losing pigmentation in the little spot under his nose and over his mouth. It has gotten worse. It's bigger and it is now on both sides of his mouth. Anyone can help me out? I would really hate for this to reach his nose. It's a show ring disqualification.

PLEASE HELP!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have no idea... Does he lick his chops a lot?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Sarah did this on her face n stomach n tits. I thought maybe her yeast was getting better but as I really got her allergies n yeast under control with the right food n benadryl all of a sudden her pigment started coming back it is almost all back now. So sarahs was allergy related n maybe his is to he does look awful red in the face. [MENTION=3281]BiggieSmalls[/MENTION]

Last edited:
OP
BiggieSmalls

BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah did this on her face n stomach n tits. I thought maybe her yeast was getting better but as I really got her allergies n yeast under control with the right food n benadryl all of a sudden her pigment started coming back it is almost all back now. So sarahs was allergy related n maybe his is to he does look awful red in the face. @BiggieSmalls
Thanks, we havent changed Biggie's food ever. Maybe it's one of the treats we give him. I took away the toys and bones he had in his crate. I know the pic seems red but its edited to bring out colors cause without the editing you wouldnt be able to tell where the snow ends and biggies body starts, he isnt red or irritated, just lacking pigmentation.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thanks, we havent changed Biggie's food ever. Maybe it's one of the treats we give him. I took away the toys and bones he had in his crate. I know the pic seems red but its edited to bring out colors cause without the editing you wouldnt be able to tell where the snow ends and biggies body starts, he isnt red or irritated, just lacking pigmentation.
Well it looks red on his chin in pic but ok. I'm just saying sarahs was allergy related so that my experience with it. They can developed an allergy over time. I asked my vet but she didn't know. Maybe Google it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It kind of looks like he scratched it or rubbed it up against something. Not sure but as cowsmom stated allergies can develop as they get old and have many different ways of showing on our babies. Get the full blood screen allergy test done and it will help you eliminate and get to he answer

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Sarah looks amazing by the way!
Ok I missed this earlier thank you so much for the compliment . It's been a long road for us with her. Best thing I did was get her tested for allergies. Biggie is wonderful to. I wonder if this is related to the dry nose In the other thread. Sarahs nose is not nearly as dry since her allergies are better. Just a thought.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I googled this to see if I could find anything useful and according to a Q&A on the AKC website...a loss of pigment is most likely something called "winter nose" and it affects all breeds. They say a normally black nose will fade during the colder months with less hours of daylight. It says that the dark pigment will return when the days are longer and the weather is warm and some dogs are known to repeat this process year after year.

That being said...they also mentioned that whenever your dogs nose is something other than the cold wet nose that they are famous for...you need to decide if a trip to the vet is necessary as the nose change could be a symptom of an underlying problem.
I hope that helps! :)

OP
BiggieSmalls

BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I am seriously thinking I will do the allergy test. It's possible. I have been putting Vasoline on his nose and he licks it alot when I put it on. Perhaps he has been doing it more and more and I haven't noticed.

OP
BiggieSmalls

BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay ya... He licks his chops... ALOT... constantly...

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy had a patch that went pink a while back it was a nasty fungal infection...doc prescribed some pills and it cleared up and all black returned.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Hmm, that is strange! What [MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] said seems to kind of be like what he's having going on, if it's just recently started affecting him as it gets colder.

If it doesn't start clearing up with the longer days, you might want to make a trip to the vet so it doesn't get worse. :)

OP
BiggieSmalls

BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone for your help. I have been using Vitamin E and Vaseline on his chapped nose and his chops and it is looking better, not so dry anymore and also, the pigmentation seems to be coming back slowly. His next show is in 2 months so I am really happy and I hope he will be 100% better by then.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.