Can anyone tell me more about yeast?

Danny Nystrand

Jan 5, 2012
Destin, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mighty Samson
Samson has the reddish tear stains, dark dark red (almost purple) color between his toes, pink on the bottom of his paws, and the same reddish tear stain colors on a wrinkle that runs down his forehead is starting to appear. I'm using Mal-a-ket wipes.... started just under a week ago and there is no sign of relief yet (still soon though). We been going through the whole find-the-right-food thing for more than a month now and it just started within the last 2-3 weeks so I assume that has something to do with it. Started putting acidophilis in his food 3 days ago to help with his immune system and so on..... Can anyone tell me more about yeast in our bullies as far as causes and remedies go that I might not be aware of? Thanks!

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonez, Bitzie, Brook and Bumble....not forgetting our ff Mr Burger
Welcome... Bonez has bad staining ... Vet says it is allergies .. It can take up to 3 months to notice any changes. The people on this site are really helpful..some use witchazel, I have and noticed it lifts the colour.. . I also found out that last weekend plug in air fresheners made him really bad. The day after they were unplugged he was back to normal. Are you feeding grain free. Salmon oil is also good for the immune system and also apple cider vinegar in the drinking water. I am sure that you will get some more help.... It is a bit of a waiting game.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have zero experience with this..but I'll tag a couple people who might be able to give you info...[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have a constant battle with yeast and my girl..... food is big part, but also it is allergy related as hers is worse during allergy seasons.

Get a full blood screen allergy test done so you can have a list of the triggers also try to avoid white potatoes (my personal opinion) I think the starch adds to the issue. You can give Benedryl twice a day... figure 1mg per pound (Banks is 60lbs so I give her 50 mg in the AM and 50mg in the PM)

For his paws... try soaking/washing them once a day in warm water and Epsom salt --- he helps with the swelling and yeast between the toes.

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
I have almost got Winston under control, he just gets yeast in one ear now, and his nose rope occasionally. I feel your pain! It's hard finding what works for each bully. It has been controlled better now with food & treat ingredients, no more chicken! Rice & lamb has been working best for him

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
I have a constant battle with yeast and my girl..... food is big part, but also it is allergy related as hers is worse during allergy seasons.

Get a full blood screen allergy test done so you can have a list of the triggers also try to avoid white potatoes (my personal opinion) I think the starch adds to the issue. You can give Benedryl twice a day... figure 1mg per pound (Banks is 60lbs so I give her 50 mg in the AM and 50mg in the PM)

For his paws... try soaking/washing them once a day in warm water and Epsom salt --- he helps with the swelling and yeast between the toes.

I have found potatoes to be a big problem,too

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
to be honest in my experience the only real way to cut yeast down is to stop any kind of carbs/sugar,its very difficult when kibble feeding as all kibble use fillers be it rice/potato,boost the immune system as all dogs carry yeast but when the immune system lowers thats when most of the problems arise,i have considered leaky gut syndrome for my dog and came to the conclusion that she has this problem so i have concentrated on building her immune system and will keep trying to keep a good balance ,i dont feed any carbs though its tempting to give her the odd carb treat lol,i do raw feed and have to say that i turned to raw purely out of her itching otherwise i would still be kibble feeding it would be easier for me to kibble feed but i know her itching will return as will reddish feed and paw chewing,she has had a couple of ear infections due to yeast ,yeast i think is an ongoing battle but once its cleared then much easier to keep on top off ,i hope you find your way through the yeast problem ,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
....and what a battle it is! I feel for you, [MENTION=4017]Danny Nystrand[/MENTION].

When I find the perfect combo, I'll be sure and let everyone know but I'm guessing it's different for each dog. I just started daily witch hazel wiping - before that, it was Maloket wipes. (Can't say that I noticed any great difference using them - but I keep them on hand anyway) One eye tears more than the other and thus, stains more on one side. These two are on lamb/potato Nature's Balance Limited Ingredient food and have been HIVE FREE and virtually itch free for a very long time now. One hates to goof up that record with a food switcharoo but I think ya'll got something there with the potato comments......

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
In my opinion is a matter of regular cleaning and finding the right food for your dog. I add Grizzly Salmon Oil to her food.

I have feed Kibble -(Natural Balance LID Sweet Potato and Salmon) since I got Mocha and she is a healthy happy dog. She doesnt even suffer from allergies at all. I grate carrots to mix in her food at supper time. Give her plain yougurt and try my best to keep her diet interesting and healthy.

Clean her folds twice a day. Witch Hazel is wonderfull!! After cleaning make sure the area is clean. Its a matter of getting into the habit of doing this.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Witch hazel is found in the drug store near rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. Sweet potatoes are completely different than white potatoes. They are much higher in nutrients and less starchy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.