Urine test? How!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abby drinks CONSTANTLY! No matter how much water you give her she sucks it up. In fact, if you're not looking and she has an accident on the floor she will drink it. I mentioned it to the vet when I had her in on Thursday and she wants to do a urine test. She's checking for diabetes, urinary tract infection and some other stuff. Problem is, I cant seem to get any of it.

She was very sick when we got her last month so my first priority was getting her healthy and house breaking took a back seat. She is paper trained tho. If I see her heading for the paper, I grab the plastic lid that I'd planned on collecting a sample with but by the time I get there she's either done or she runs away. The other problem is that her legs are so short that most of the time I can't tell if she's sitting or peeing.

I've been trying to do this for almost a week :cursing: How the heck does anyone collect a urine sample from a puppy! lol

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:hmm: I was thinking if when she pee's on the floor, but it sounds like she takes care of that herself. :anyone:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would call you vet and ask them how exactly you are supposed to get a urine sample from her. They should be able to give you some advice or suggestions on how to get one. I can just see trying to chase after a bully with a cup....lol

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
let the vet get it...when i took jameson in for a uti they told me to try before bringing him in but then they took him back and did it themselves....they put a` tube in and grabbed some...5 minutes later he was done

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use a paper plate but I do it when I know they are going to pee.... Just slide it under but if you can't get it the vet should be able to...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is brutal.... get the vet techs to do it. That is what I did when we needed one for Banks cause I was having the same issue -- is she peeing or sitting???

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks :) I didn't think about a catheter. I just called the vet. She isn't in yet but they say they'll have her call me back.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
My vet told me to put an empty ice cube tray under there and catch some....it works pretty good because it's got enough length....of course you won't be wanting to make ice cubes in that tray ever again....good luck

pigbaxterboo

Oct 16, 2011
Portland,Dorset,UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter and George
I usually try to get the first morning one when I know he's ready to pee, I put him on the lead and follow round the garden with a tray. Luckily my neighbours know George has kidney problems or they'd think I was mad out there every few months!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Take a wee wee pad and turn it upside down so the plastic is facing up. Let her pee on that. You can easily catch the pee on it. Works like a charm.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I just learned a whole lot about collecting. :whistle:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Take a wee wee pad and turn it upside down so the plastic is facing up. Let her pee on that. You can easily catch the pee on it. Works like a charm.

OMG this is genius!! THANK YOU!! (why is it always the simple solutions that are always so hard to think of yourself lol)

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@ twice, I learned this from another forum that I visit for my yorkie. Definitely came in handy. There were tales of people trying to walk behind their pups trying to slip things under their bums to catch a sample. Lots of trial and error, and finally a pup that liked to play with her pads had flipped hers over and made it easy for her mamma to get the sample she so desperately needed for the vets office. :lmao:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
... There were tales of people trying to walk behind their pups trying to slip things under their bums to catch a sample....

have your yorkie friends been spying on me? LOL This has been quite the adventure let me tell you :laugh:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@ twice...I guess it's safe to say that dogs every where, every size and shape are laughing at their mom and dads as they try to get urine samples. Wonder if when they are at the dog park if they tell silly little anecdotes about their silly parents.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.