To Neuter Or Not

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Neuter him... my sister in law just had to put her Boxer to sleep at the age of 5 due to testicular cancer that mets. She said if she could turn back time she would have had him neutered.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Neuter him definitely, but I would wait to at least a year old. our vet recommends 18 months, but any time after a year is fine. Just my humble opinion.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Being I'm still new to this doggie stuff, I'm curious of the reason to wait til 18 months? So they can do all their growing? Do their "boy parts" drop completely by that point? (our issue with infection after Chunk was neutered was because of the empty skin)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] Well since bullies mature and don't stop growing until about the age of two, that's why our vet likes to wait a year to 18 months. Now I have seen bullies neutered at7 or 8 months old and have grown into beautiful big bullies. But like our vet said that most of them will widen out in the chest and head and little more if they are not neutered until later. Some people will argue this and who is right? Who knows. I will do as he suggest, because he has not steered me wrong yet.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] ... Gotcha. Makes sense! What I do know for sure is that I will NOT wait as long as it was with the Chunkster. What a fiasco :(

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Another point to consider: Pet insurance.

If it is something you consider doing for your bully, some companies charge more or will not cover "unaltered" pets

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
Well I'm gonna disagree with everyone and say why neuter him? It is actually healthier for the dog's health on balance not to neuter - type in "long term effects of spay neuter" into google if you want some scientific facts on the matter. In some countries in Scandinavia it is rare to neuter and there are not problems with dogs there (although there may be problems with free roaming cats). Where I live in NZ it is more common to neuter than not, but less common that in the States. Certainly there have never been any problems with our 5 year old unneutered boy, and we walk off lead nearly everyplace.

It's your decision at the end of the day and the study I mentioned above only deals with the dog's health and not issues like risk of unwanted pregnancy - but if where you live is anywhere like where I live the risk I think is very small.

Attachments

• SDC10819.jpg
    SDC10819.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 40

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have a great bully vet who's also on the vet recommendations here at EBN. Wilson turned a year in January and my vet would not neuter him until he was a year old. Wilson just got neutered last Wednesday. I had no issues with him at 6 1/2 months either, the issues started about 8 months and his marking started right after Christmas. It was his time to get the nip tuck. He too had no aggression issues and still doesn't, not in his personality. He has gotten a tad bit calmer in the last week and even a bit more lovely (he's a don't touch me type of bully). I would wait at least until a year if you can, it's healthier for them, and all dogs, for growth reasons. :)

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Hello i am new to the forums

i have a 6.5 month old english bulldog named chubbz

i have an appointment next week for his neutering but i am just wondering wether or not i should actually go through with this

he dosent have a bad tempermant, he has been trained to go to the bathoom outside since day one and has made a mistake once or twice, he dosent have any humping issues at all, dosent bite, so im just wondering whats the point in neutering him?

i have asked a couple vets and some said do it some said dont. i have asked for opinions on forums and have gotten mixed answers so i am here now as i can tell this is a reputable place

please help me out with pros and cons to this procedure and judging by what i have told you if it seems like theres any point to it

i do not plan on using him for stud service or breeding and he dosent roam free he walks off leash with me and is really obediant

thanks alot!!

Personally I always neuter/spay my animals. In addition to the health benefits, I am a strong believer in not overbreeding. Right now your boy is not humping because his hormones probably haven't kicked in. You can probably wait a bit longer if that is what you are worried about.

Savannah Boy

Jan 25, 2012
Brunswick, GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Hudson's appointment for neutering is Wednesday. He'll be 7 months old. I feel like a terrible owner because in spite of the risks of testicular cancer, I still have mine. I just suspect that given the option and ability, Hudson would also say no...

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Definitely get him neutered! Gio was 21 months old when we adopted him and we got him neutered 2 weeks later. He was humping and marking a lot. Since his neuter (4 weeks) he no longer humps and RARELY marks. He still has the same great personality and was only out of it for the night that he came home! He didn't need the cone and he wanted to play the next day.

I would maybe wait till he is 1? The also gave us the option to use an anesthesia that was safer for bulldogs (forget the name of it) then the normal anesthesia.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
After I got Nigel neutered his "wiener" stayed alot cleaner. He was a bad humper also,but not any more! ;)

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Okay, I'm adding my 2 cents because I'm big on this. Yup, neutering is great HOWEVER

Recently there was an article in one of my AKC newsletters that said vets are finding that neutering at 6 months is a little too young. Larger breeds end up having bones that don't grow to the right proportion, increasing orthopedic issues. So between one and two has been a new recommendation.

I feel much better now.

That being said, there are behavioral things that you have to tighten up on. For instance, Hudson is coming up on two years old and we have to be very careful to allow him limited marking. He can be harder to control if he smells a female in heat. So its ok to wait a certain amount of time as long as you're aware of and ready to deal with how it affects your dog.

I hope you find the right answer for you and your pup!

I

ImAGuinneyPig

Definitely neuter.

I've heard all the arguments regarding at what age to do it, and whether or not it affects growth. I did a TON of research before making the decision to have Guinness spayed at 6 1/2 months. I thought that overall it was the best decision for her.

She was the runt of her litter, and has always been a smaller dog. She never will be, or was going to be, and big bulky Bully. However, having said that, she still grew A LOT after her spay. She remained our happy, healthy girl, and definitely continued to mature afterwards.

Ultimately, it is up to you and what is best for you and your Bully :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online