Real Name
    Luke Smith
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hudson
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: To Neuter Or Not

Hudson's appointment for neutering is Wednesday. He'll be 7 months old. I feel like a terrible owner because in spite of the risks of testicular cancer, I still have mine. I just suspect that given the option and ability, Hudson would also say no...

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Definitely get him neutered! Gio was 21 months old when we adopted him and we got him neutered 2 weeks later. He was humping and marking a lot. Since his neuter (4 weeks) he no longer humps and RARELY marks. He still has the same great personality and was only out of it for the night that he came home! He didn't need the cone and he wanted to play the next day.

I would maybe wait till he is 1? The also gave us the option to use an anesthesia that was safer for bulldogs (forget the name of it) then the normal anesthesia.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel and Talulah
    Likes (Received)

After I got Nigel neutered his "wiener" stayed alot cleaner. He was a bad humper also,but not any more!
    My Dogs Can Lick Anyone

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hudson
    Likes (Received)

Okay, I'm adding my 2 cents because I'm big on this. Yup, neutering is great HOWEVER

Recently there was an article in one of my AKC newsletters that said vets are finding that neutering at 6 months is a little too young. Larger breeds end up having bones that don't grow to the right proportion, increasing orthopedic issues. So between one and two has been a new recommendation.

I feel much better now.

That being said, there are behavioral things that you have to tighten up on. For instance, Hudson is coming up on two years old and we have to be very careful to allow him limited marking. He can be harder to control if he smells a female in heat. So its ok to wait a certain amount of time as long as you're aware of and ready to deal with how it affects your dog.

I hope you find the right answer for you and your pup!

ImAGuinneyPig

Definitely neuter.

I've heard all the arguments regarding at what age to do it, and whether or not it affects growth. I did a TON of research before making the decision to have Guinness spayed at 6 1/2 months. I thought that overall it was the best decision for her.

She was the runt of her litter, and has always been a smaller dog. She never will be, or was going to be, and big bulky Bully. However, having said that, she still grew A LOT after her spay. She remained our happy, healthy girl, and definitely continued to mature afterwards.

Ultimately, it is up to you and what is best for you and your Bully

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads