To Neuter Or Not

barchy

Feb 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbz
Hello i am new to the forums

i have a 6.5 month old english bulldog named chubbz

i have an appointment next week for his neutering but i am just wondering wether or not i should actually go through with this

he dosent have a bad tempermant, he has been trained to go to the bathoom outside since day one and has made a mistake once or twice, he dosent have any humping issues at all, dosent bite, so im just wondering whats the point in neutering him?

i have asked a couple vets and some said do it some said dont. i have asked for opinions on forums and have gotten mixed answers so i am here now as i can tell this is a reputable place

please help me out with pros and cons to this procedure and judging by what i have told you if it seems like theres any point to it

i do not plan on using him for stud service or breeding and he dosent roam free he walks off leash with me and is really obediant

thanks alot!!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I personally neuter..My daughter has a chihuahua that is two and he hikes his leg everywhere...He is not neutered. Im getting in two male frenchies and they both will be neutered. I dont want to take a chance on cancer down the road or other issues.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Personally I would wait until he's a little bit older to neuter him. Some vets prefer to spay/neuter before the sexual hormones start flowing (6 mths or older), but I think they need a chance to grow more mentally as well as physically before having the procedure done. If you don't have any behavioral concerns, I would try and wait until he is a year old before neutering. Just my opinion.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It really is a personal decision, but due to several potential health issues it is best to get it done no later than 1 year of age, but no sooner than 6 months of age. I had both my bullies done at 7 months

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
I would be worried that what if he started acting badly...

I took in a owner surrender of a 12 month old male that shoulda been done a long time ago...

Better safe then sorry I always say..

Heather w/Tapatalk app

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would neuter. Better to avoid any possible health complications that come with staying intact and avoid any "accidents" if he would happen to be around an intact female. Plus...Bob Barker says so! :)

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=4245]barchy[/MENTION] , Neuter him. You will be doing him a favor by going ahead with the surgery. He will be a happier dog.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
From what I understand .. if you leave it a little closer to a year old it gives them chance to get that "bulky" look that english bulldogs and old english bulldogs can get. However, the longer you leave it after a year the greater the chance of cancer.

He's 6 1/2 so you could happily neuter him now ... if you want to leave it a couple more months then that is obviously fine too. BUT I would certainly get him neutered at some point ... why put him at the risk of testicular cancer unless you specifically want to use him as a stud??

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
this is why i like this forum,if anyone asked this question on a uk bully forum the poster would be told no no no !!,people over here seem to think that bulldogs shouldnt be done till at least 2 yrs old,but i totally agree with early neutering and i dont think for 1 minute that it stops them filling out ,genetics,quality feed,tlc ,and keeping clean are what makes the bulldog look as good as it can and not keeping it intact,karen

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I would wait..just a few more months. My vet insists neutering doesn't curtail their Bully growth..but since these doggies mature slower than other breeds, I just feel why rush? If he's healthy and being such a good boy....wait until closer to a year. Jake was 11 months. I think we have [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] who raises ome wonderful Bully's and I think he waits until 18 months. But whatever you decide...:bravo: for neutering!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I would do it before a year ... Chunk was three years old when we neutered him and it caused complications. (We got him when he was two years old, so we didn't have a choice as a puppy.) It became evident that we needed to do it when he started having prostate issues. Thankfully, the neuter helped that. However, his recovery ended up to be very long because he was older. Basically, because he had his boy parts longer, there was a higher risk of infection and more than once that almost happened. Soooo that being said, I'd do it by a year old if it was my choice!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.