Red Irritated Cheek

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Hi EBN!
Rook's right cheek has gotten very red and irritated over the past week. At first I thought it might be that his gums were bothering him - it seemed to coincide with a loose tooth / new molar coming in and he had scratched at the exact same area on his cheek. But it hasn't gotten better and started looking really bad the past few days - he's starting to look like the Joker on that side of his face. :(
The skin looks red and irritated but is not raised. He will occasionally scratch it, but the itching doesn't seem to be constant. However, he did scratch and break skin yesterday.
He has been on Fromm Beef Frittata for the past few months, and has been doing really well on it. He eats from stainless steel bowls that get cleaned everyday, and his face/wrinkles get cleaned with unscented aloe baby wipes everyday and we dry his face after eating/drinking.
He hasn't had any skin issue before this. Not sure if this might be allergy related, he over irritated the area with scratching since it is only on the right side, or something else completely. I am going to call the vet tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas/advice in the mean time.
Here's a pic of our little Joker... hopefully we can get him back to his handsome self soon!
redface.JPG

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looks like a bacterial sore, maybe from rubbing and scratching. I would put some hydrogen peroxide on it and then some neosphorin.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If it gets worse, def take to the vet, keep us posted :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3735]LaurenA[/MENTION] any update -- how is his face today?

OP
LaurenA

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Thanks everyone! After just a day it's looking better - still a bit pinky but not as red and scary looking as it was yesterday. It's scabbing where he broke the skin, but I'm hoping that is a sign it's healing up and getting better. I'll keep you posted.

His reaction to the neosporin was funny. I didn't realize it had much of a smell, but after I put after I put some on his cheek he started licking his nose like crazy. like 'ewww, what was that!'.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Glad he seems to be getting better!! Such a sweet looking boy!!

OP
LaurenA

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Thanks everyone for all the great advice!!! Rook's cheek is just about back to normal, just a small scab from where he broke the skin scratching but that is healing up too. Rook is so glad his face is looking handsome again, as he relies on his good looks to get attention from all of our neighbors when we are out and about.
I don't know what we'd do without EBN! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.