Tear Stains.... AAAHHHHH!!!!

Danny Nystrand

Jan 5, 2012
Destin, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mighty Samson
Samson suddenly has started getting tear stains, probably just in the past week. My initial thought was that it's being cause from the dog food switch we made this past week (been in the hunt for the right dog food for more than a month now). Last week I started mixing in a newer food, Great Life buffalo formula, with his current food, Dogswell Nutisca Salmon & Chickpea (both grain and potato free- yeast problems in the past). I know Nutrisca is a great dog food that has benefits for diabetic dogs as well, but I was made aware of the fact on a thread here on ebn that it has no pro or prebiotics. I add yogurt to his food to take care of the pros, but the only natural food I'm aware of that carries the pres are bananas and Samson's not a fan for some crazy reason as he eats almost all other fruits. Anyway about a week into the change I started seeing the tear stains forming. As they got worse I also noticed that the pink inflammation in between his paws went away but they started turning an extremely dark blood red, kinda like the color of raw piece of red meat (purple/red almost). I switched back to the Nutrisca 2 days ago and no good news yet. I'm wondering if maybe it could be the Nutrisca causing the problem and it's just now taking effect as I can't imagine what ingredient could be causing this. Tapioca is in the Great Life. Could that cause this problem? How long does it take for the effects of these dog food change to start happening? I just started using Mal-a-Ket wipes for his tears stains and paws but no changes yet. Anyone else with any input? I really want to stop it at the source and not just find a temp quick fix. Thanks!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4017]Danny Nystrand[/MENTION] how long was he on the nutrisca before the switch? i would leave him on the nutrisca and see if he gets better. also i found through an allergy test sarah is allergic to peas. who knew. also could be the yogurt you are feeding. lots of dogs are allergic to milk and milk products. i would put back on nutrisca and stop the yogurt for now till you see a positive change. you can give people acidophillus pills to get the probiotics in. if he still keeps going down hill then you can do boiled chicken and rice maybe for a few days and set up a blood allergy test. believe me its easier than stressing over every little thing you feed your bully. let me know how its going.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I also agree with cowsmom, keep us posted!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with cowsmom... she is right on point and get the full blood screen allergy test as it will tell you the cause of all the issues.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well its been a while since ive given it to sarah but i think i just gave her the whole pill. you can half it if you wish to start out with.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Here is some info that I found in a web search; Just call me Mr. Copy/Paste ;)

Acidophilus for Dogs

Acidophilus for dogs are pro-biotic supplements that are used to treat the conditions such as diarrhea, dehydration and other such dog health problems. Read on to know more about the benefits of acidophilus for dogs and if they are safe for your pets.

Pro-biotic supplements are a boon for dogs suffering from problems associated with intestine complications such as diarrhea, dehydration, smelly stools, foul gas, gum diseases and foul breath. These dog health problems are usually the result of stress, illness or certain antibiotic or antifungal medications. Lactobacillus acidophilus for dogs is the powdered form of the lactobacillus bacteria. Since the digestion friendly bacteria in the dog's stomach is compromised by illnesses or stress, acidophilus helps in replacing the intestinal bacteria which can aid in digestion in dogs. Most of the acidophilus pro-biotic supplements also contain yucca, papaya and antioxidants such as Vitamin C.

Benefits of Acidophilus Supplements for Dogs

There are a number of benefits associated with acidophilus. These supplements not only restore the natural activity of the intestine but also help the dog overcome a range of dog illnesses. The key benefits of acidophilus supplements for dogs include:
  • A healthy digestive system.
  • Diarrhea treatment and prevention.
  • One of the many benefits of acidophilus for dogs, yeast infections and urinary tract infections are completely cured by using probiotic supplements.
  • Eliminating problems of foul gas and smelly stools.
  • Intestinal putrefaction may result in constant bad breath which can be effectively reduced by acidophilus.
  • Relieves muscular and arthritis pains.
  • Prevents shedding and indiscriminate scratching caused by the stress related to the improper functioning of the digestive system.
  • Antibiotics, antifungals and wormers can have some negative side effects which can be counteracted with acidophilus supplements.
  • Improving the immune system of dogs.
Most of these commercial supplements contain extracts of papaya and yucca, both of which are anti-inflammatory. A natural deodorizer, yucca helps relieve muscular pains. In addition to this, papaya contains enzymes which aid digestion and resolve problems related to the digestive tract.

Acidophilus for Dogs: Dosage

One of the most frequently asked queries is how much acidophilus for dogs is considered safe. Well, the commercial variants of acidophilus supplements contain different number of live organisms per dosage. While the dosage is specified on the products labels itself, veterinarians recommend a daily dosage of 20 million to 500 million organisms per dose. For administering the dosage, mix the supplement into the food or feed it to the dog by an oral syringe. For puppies a daily dosage of two teaspoons of the powdered acidophilus and for the adult dogs four teaspoons per meal is considered appropriate. This may vary based on the supplement brands and whether you purchase them in powdered form or as capsules and pills.

Is Acidophilus Safe for Dogs?

Acidophilus for dogs is completely free of the harsh side effects as it contains all natural ingredients. It is also a great solution for those dogs which are lactose intolerant and cannot be fed yogurt for correcting the troubled intestines. A word of warning though, it has been seen that in the first few days of acidophilus use the dog may suffer from mild abdominal cramping and diarrhea. This would however be resolved after weeks of use of the supplements.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Nothing to add since you have gotten a lot of great info already. Welcome to the wonderful world of bullies! :lol: Not sure if it is allergies or what exactly but I know my Cutty gets this way with lamb. (or used to havent tried in years now) Also beet pulp can stain something awful too so if there happens to be any in the food or snacks you are feeding it could add to this.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i gave annie acidophilus its great stuff,i got mine from the health shop,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.