Cherry Eye Question

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Here and there I have noticed when Raven plays hard or is a bit tired her eyes look a bit red. Tonight after she had her dinner I took her out to go potty. When she came back inside my son said mom her eye looks irritated. Well within half an hour or so she started to exhibit that little bulge. Feeling stressed and scared for her.

Can anyone share their cherry eye stories, information about the procedure, age of their pup, recovery time and cost. I want to know what to expect. I am scared for her, I really don't like the idea of sedating her. I had hoped it would be only when I had to have her spayed.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks. I am checking out some videos about massaging it back into place. Just waiting on her to settle down, she is playing like a lunatic, so it is definitely not bothering her.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I literally JUST massaged Finn's cherry eye back in. It happens to him every so often. I like this you tube video...it's really helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjyBLzCN1qY

let me know how Raven is doing! @Bizzymammabee

Thanks Cali. I saw that one. I tried it but it didn't seem to work. I will do it again, I felt a bit squeamish, I don't want to hurt her. Thankfully she needed to go to the vet for her next vaccine so I moved the visit up to tomorrow. Figured I kill two birds with one stone.

You know I wonder if there is any validity to it popping due to exertion or rough play. Somewhere on the web I read that they think that could make it happen.

How often does it happen to Finn? Are you planning on the surgery?

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION], it took me a few times to get it pushed back in too. I know what you mean about feeling a little squeamish too but as i understand it, this is not painful to our bullys. Good thing you will see the vet tomorrow though, especially if you cannot get the cherry eye pushed back in.

Finn gets this maybe every 3-4months, and yes, i also understand that rough play and over excitement can exacerbate it. I have actually not thought of the surgery for him. I will continue to wait and see and observe and if it gets too often, then will talk to the vet about it.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], she doesn't seem to like me trying it. She is probably picking up on my skittishness. I am hoping we can avoid surgery on it. At least it doesn't seem to be bothering her.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn doesn't like me doing it to him either so i have to kind of hold him still. I don't believe the cherry eye itself is painful to dogs. See what the vet has to say tomorrow and hopefully it's something that he can easily push back into place. Raven will be just fine! :)

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks so much @calibaker, hope it will go back or mamma will have to go broke getting her eye fixed up when the time comes.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Miila has cherry eye and when she plays hard it still pops out every once in a while just a little so far. And this is after having it tacked. We had hers done when she got spayed thankfully. BUT sometimes it takes more than 1 time to hold and I am not sure I would have her get it redone if need be, unless it medically needed it that is. Usually they are ok with them and surgery isnt necessary. Considered cosmetic actually so it is up to you how you feel about it. I am hoping hers holds ok. She had it done a couple months ago and since then I have seen in pop out a little 2 times. It is just sitting there lurking I thinking, waiting. haha I dont think the healing process was much for her but hard to tell as she had the spay and also pallet surgery at the same time. They can remove the gland which will fix permanently BUT that causes dry eye and you would have to use drops for the rest of your pups life. It is not recommended as much.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.