Tyson's face gets very red

TysonsMom

Nov 29, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson and Daisy
Hi Everyone,
I know there are a lot of posts about allergies, so I apologize if this is more of the same :)

But, I am at my wit's end! About 4 months ago, Tyson broke out with a bad case of hives, and we had no idea what happened. The vet said there was no way of telling, but the symptoms were very similar to an insect bite, so we figured that was it. Tyson got better quickly after a dose of prednisone and an antihistamine.

Well, right after Christmas, Tyson broke out again - still no clue what was going on. Took him to the vet, same thing - prednisone and an antihistamine. Then, about 2 weeks ago, it happened again. So the vet thinks it is something that has changed in the house. He said we have to eliminate anything in the house that may be causing it and try to narrow things down, and we can check him again in 30 days.

The hives are now under control as long as Tyson stays on the antihistamine, but his face still gets really flushed, and it seems to be at random times. I thought that maybe it was the pollen outside, but what confuses me is why the hives go away, but his face still gets so red.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you have any suggestions as to what I can try to make him better?

Thanks so much for your help!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Solving allergy problems is the $64,000 question. Has your vet mentioned having him tested? Has something changed in your house? like new carpet, furniture etc. Change of seasons? New plants? New food? What is he eating now? See where Im going? Have him tested is my advice.

OP
TysonsMom

TysonsMom

Nov 29, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson and Daisy
Thanks so much BruceP. I definitely see where you're going :) I think that is what is driving me so crazy, is that I really can't figure out what has changed. He is on Fromm Beef Fritatta, and does well on it, and there have been no big changes in the house. What is also so strange to me is that he doesn't itch - he hasn't scratched himself at all when he breaks out. And his face gets red at such random times that I can't seem to find a pattern.

I think you are right on with the testing. That will need to be my next step.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks so much BruceP. I definitely see where you're going :) I think that is what is driving me so crazy, is that I really can't figure out what has changed. He is on Fromm Beef Fritatta, and does well on it, and there have been no big changes in the house. What is also so strange to me is that he doesn't itch - he hasn't scratched himself at all when he breaks out. And his face gets red at such random times that I can't seem to find a pattern. I think you are right on with the testing. That will need to be my next step.

Ah, allergies! My two are loaded with them and a list as long as my arm. The issue could be as simple as a house plant or it could be a food source (i.e rice (my boy), chicken (my girl)) or something in the air - Banks is allergic to several types of tress, which if she just touches them -- she blows up like a balloon.

-- Tyson will need to be off any steroid for 30 days before the test can be done, then at that time ask the vet to run a full screen blood allergy test. Save yourself a lot of money and your baby a lot of discomfort.

Good luck and keep us posted

OP
TysonsMom

TysonsMom

Nov 29, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson and Daisy
Thanks 2BullyMama! He's been off the prednisone for about a week now, so I will definitely make an appt soon. It's funny, I was explaining to my sister-in-law's mother how bullies have allergies and how they are prone to certain things, and she asked why I wanted a bully! She just didn't understand. As frustrating as it is to watch him go through this, I can't imagine having anyone else :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks 2BullyMama! He's been off the prednisone for about a week now, so I will definitely make an appt soon. It's funny, I was explaining to my sister-in-law's mother how bullies have allergies and how they are prone to certain things, and she asked why I wanted a bully! She just didn't understand. As frustrating as it is to watch him go through this, I can't imagine having anyone else :)

Unless they owned or somehow experience a bulldog -- they can not truly understand the uniqueness, character and personality of the breed

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Hi there!!! Everyone has given you great advice and I agree to get the allergy test on him. I am wondering if it is on his face only, could it be his food dish??

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Well Sarah breaks out in hives sometimes when it rains n will randomly get red chin with bumps n runny nose. If its random is probably environmental but only way to really know is allergy test. If there is not itching anti histamine should help without prednisone. Let us know how its going. Yes bullies can be frustrating but oh when they are better wow what you get from them is priceless.

OP
TysonsMom

TysonsMom

Nov 29, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson and Daisy
Thanks again for all the great advice!

[MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION] - I was thinking the same, I am glad you said the same thing. I do have stainless steel, but I am going to get a new set. And it can't hurt to have an extra set of bowls!

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] - Sarah and Tyson sound alike! And I couldn't agree with you more, bullies are priceless. My family had 2 when I was growing up, and I have 2 now. I could never imagine having any other breed. Bullies are just so special :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.