sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Truman's appointment went well today. Actually it was one of the most bizarre appointments I've ever been to but no bad news to report.

I looked his post-op x rays with the surgeon and she watched him walk around and said something like "we'll be optimistic because he's so cute." What? I didn't know what to make of that kind of comment. First, to my eye, he is doing exceptionally well and building the muscle back up his hip. She said she "couldn't remember" how he was walking on the hip before...there was a BIG improvement almost immediately. But second, I would prefer the surgeon to avoid discussing working his cuteness into his prognosis. She drew a diagram of the surgery that was performed on a white board and showed me the adjustments she made to the surgery because he is so young for his growth plates and seemed to be second-guessing her decision as she spoke. It wasn't the highest degree of professionalism I've seen out of a vet but since she performed the surgery, we will ride this out.

In any case, he is doing good, the use of his right hip is very good thus far, and he will go for another follow up in two weeks to get a last set of x rays to see how the hips are developing as he ages and JPS has time to work. To this point, I am thrilled with his progress - he stands more, uses both of his legs more, and I remain very optimistic - regardless of his cuteness! ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well, he is cute!

I agree with Libra, cuteness should be part of the prognosis. ;)

Seriously tho- luv the pic in the leaves, and glad to hear he is doing so well!!!! Awesome news!!!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
thats great news!!!! will keep praying that he continues to heal as fast as he has

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Wow that was a long read. What a great support we have here. I have sure missed a lot, sorry. Glad everything went well for you so far, we will keep best wishes and prayers here from our home.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Wow that was a long read. What a great support we have here. I have sure missed a lot, sorry. Glad everything went well for you so far, we will keep best wishes and prayers here from our home.

That is exactly right, I have no idea what I would do without this board and all the great advice when the worse case scenario kept becoming reality.

Just a quick update on Truman, now that is he almost one month post op - he's doing really well! So far, so good. He is walking with weight on both legs and right hip continues to build muscle and recover. His hair is almost grown in and when I took him to visit one of my friend, he's commented that if he didn't know Truman had hip surgery, he would not know there was ever anything wrong with him - so that was encouraging.

All of his post op follow ups have been good so now we just wait to see how the JPS worked and continue to give him plenty of care, rest, and (controlled!) play time with his big brother. This pic was taken this afternoon. Baby T looks so funny in it, I joked that he is going to take up a career in the bulldog ballet once his hip is fully recovered, he looks like a ballerina to me!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
LOL I love that pic, he does look like a ballerina!! :heart:

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
A quick bump to Truman hip surgery thread for his first birthday - he is now a happy, healthy, fully mobile bulldog!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow..so glad you bumped this@ sheshistory...I didn't look at date and kept reading so I could post my prayers for you and truman. Just wow..you are such a good human! Happy birthday to Truman. Wow!

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Awww poor baby! I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. He is just too darn cute too!!! :)

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Wow..so glad you bumped this@ sheshistory...I didn't look at date and kept reading so I could post my prayers for you and truman. Just wow..you are such a good human! Happy birthday to Truman. Wow!

I did the same! He looks great! Such a handsome boy!!! :heart:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
That was so interesting to re-visit that again .... thanks for bumping it! It will be helpful to members and guests who are looking for more information!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online