Question about Penny getting sick the last few mornings

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I wasn't quite sure where to post this since I'm not sure if it's food related or not. I started transitioning Penny from Fromm Salmon a la veg to Beef Frittata on Saturday. She gets 1.25cups twice a day. I started with 1/4 of the new & the remaining of the salmon for dinner on Saturday. She work up around 5am on Sunday throwing up (just frothy liquid) & then again at 7am. We waited to feed her, only giving her water, on Sunday. She seemed ok, so we fed her a little bit. She kept that down a few hours, so we gave her the remainder of her portion. I have done the same since Saturday (.25cup of new, 1 cup of old). She has woken up every morning around 6-7am vomitting up a little bit of the same liquid. Could that be from the introduction of the new food? It's such a tiny amount of the new. I have no idea what else it could be though? I gave her all salmon this morning & will do the same for dinner tonight to see if she is still sick in the morning. Any other ideas? Otherwise, she is eating, drinking, pooping, playing as normal.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I had something similar happy to my Lucy when she was a pup. Of course I paniced and called the Vet the minute it happened!! I think Penny may be getting sick from an empty stomach. Try giving her a "snack" before bed. A little kibble saved from her dinner portion or a biscuit or two from the treat bucket. My Lucy is 3 now and will vomit that frothy green stuff if she hasn't eaten in 12 hours.

Good Luck. Let me know if it works.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Does Penny have any other symptoms; like does she make any gagging or hacking-cough noises or is there any nasal discharge associated with the spitting up? Just wondering if she may be coming down with a virus or cold of some sort.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], no other symptoms. She seems her normal, healthy self otherwise.
[MENTION=2099]LucysMum[/MENTION] I will try that, too. She hasn't seemed hungry (usually lets us know by pawing her bowl & grumbling or dragging her bowl around. There have been times when she has seemed hungy & when I looked at her food bag I needed to up her food. I feel like she is getting enough for her weight.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I was also going to say an empty stomach. When they come up with frothy stuff, that is usually what that means. Try giving her a snack before bed.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I agree with [MENTION=2099]LucysMum[/MENTION] my other bully Winston use to do the same thing.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks, everyone. I did all salmon today & will see if it makes a difference. If not, I'll try a snack before bed tomorrow (I'm sure she will love that!). She didn't have issues when I switched her food the two previous times, and since the Fromm is supposed to be interchangeable I thought it was odd for it to make her sick. I am a little afraid she ate something she shouldn't have & is trying to get it out. If it isn't better soon, we'll take her to the vet for sure.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] - Hope the treat works and the food switch goes smooooooth.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
yes dogs are sick sometimes because they are hungry,they bring up bile.feed a little more till it stops,karen

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Ok, so all salmon yesterday & she didn't get sick. I went back to .25c of the beef today & will see. I have to keep a control in my experiment here...will give her a little "snack before bed as well.

Hooch11B

Feb 29, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
We have been having serious food issues with our dog, we found out he is allergic to chicken so we changed his food to california Natural, lamb formula and also found out he gets hives from Peanut Butter. We feed him ground beef(cooked) and rice to go along with his dry food and he seems to enjoy it but recently he also has been throwing up but there is nothing in his vomit, just white froth comes up, could it be this simple as just giving him a little food before bed to curb this?

Does anybody feed their bully yogurt? ours gets a tablespoon after each meal to help with digestion. Do you think we should keep feeding ground beef and rice?

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
i used to give them 1 tbsp with every meal when they were pups. yogurt is OK!!:yes2:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.