Typial growth cycle

jwjbama

Jul 27, 2010
Madison, Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, as well as a new Bully parent. I found my "Rosie" from a couple who had to move and couldn't take her. I got her when she was 11 weeks old. She is now 15 weeks old. I have read a nice article on "ganglies", so I've seen the potential to go through vertical growth spurts, but I was wondering if someone could help me understand what to expect. At what point will she stop gaining height?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hmm, I'm not sure I've ever heard too much about this but I can speak from a bit of recent experience. I have a pup that is also 15 weeks, I got him at 10 weeks and his legs grew much longer in a short period of time but it is sort of like the rest of puppyhood - some things grow faster than the others - which explains the big puppy ears and big puppy paws that don't seem to match the rest of the bulldog body.

In any case, I would say my bullies stopped getting taller around 7-8 months and then it took another year to fill out completely with those typical bullie features. Bulldogs tend to stay "puppies" a little bit longer than other dogs - in mentality and in stature - in my opinion.

I don't know this is helpful but are there specific reason you are concerned, at this point, about vertical height? If your concern is growing too fast, make sure you are not feeding the puppy foods that are too high in protein.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes, it seems like the legs grow first for some reason. The chest will not broaden until around 6 months, so from month 4-6 you will probably be wondering if your 'bulldog' is a real bulldog! But another thing is bullies come in many shapes and sizes, as you can see just be view my signature. All of my bullies have a different 'build' to them, but as they get older, they are changing. You will not know their 'true' look until toward the age of two.

Mandy was about 1 year 2 months when we got her, and she seemed fat and long legged. But in the past few months her head and chest have gotton broader, so she does not look like such a chubby sausage roll, although she still is. It is 'evening' out I guess you could say. :)

OP
J

jwjbama

Jul 27, 2010
Madison, Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
I wouldn't say I have specific concerns, but really just hope I got what I paid for. Like I said, I adopted her from a family that couldn't move with her, and I couldn't resist buying her. She has grown taller recently (she's probably 14 inches tall right now) and her front shoulders aren't very wide.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I wouldn't say I have specific concerns, but really just hope I got what I paid for. Like I said, I adopted her from a family that couldn't move with her, and I couldn't resist buying her. She has grown taller recently (she's probably 14 inches tall right now) and her front shoulders aren't very wide.

We would love to see pictures :) In general though all the height comes in the first year and the all that "bully beefiness" comes in the second year. The second year is when they fill out.

OP
J

jwjbama

Jul 27, 2010
Madison, Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Okay, let's see if this works. The first image was taken just before I got her. The second was taken last week, I believe. I'll try to get some full body pics tonight.
album.php

OP
J

jwjbama

Jul 27, 2010
Madison, Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Let's try this again, following the instructions.

Attachments

• july 13 054.jpg
    july 13 054.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,006
  • SNC00137.jpg
    SNC00137.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 863
OP
J

jwjbama

Jul 27, 2010
Madison, Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
She sure looks all eb to me and let me say how dang adorable and sweet that face is?!!?!?!?!?

Thank you very much. I'm trying to get those tear stains removed, and would certainly appreciate tips. Her previous owner had her on Science Diet, so we've tried to maintain that. I'm not sure it's the best thing for her, so I'm looking at other options. I still have some SD, so I could start phasing that out soon.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes I would say first thing is to get a good food, not science diet. Not sure how much you have read on here but there are many topics on food and tear stain suggestions. You can do a search in the box at the top of the page and look back at what has been said previously and also ask anything here again. We love to help as much as we can. Make sure a food change is slow enough to not upset the bully tummies. Most seem to be sensitive to change and you will know by the poops if it is too fast. Also there are many ideas on how to get rid of tear stains although I havent tried them all personally to give advice there. Food is a big issue tho when it comes to that stuff.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Rosie is sooo pretty, she looks ALL English Bulldog to me. I bet she just needs to grow into her body. And how weird, I have met VERY FEW other Tessa's in my life! Dried beet pulp in the food can make tear stains worse. Samson used to have tear stains when he was on Nutro but after I switched to Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish they cleared up. Natural Balance offers a line of foods that are grain free (alot of bully owners opt for grain free) and limited ingredient for allergies that seem to be real popular among bully owners. Besides the fish one I mentioned there is also a vension, duck, etc recipes. Alot of people have been recommending Fromm lately and I actually started switching Sam over on Sunday, so far so good. Science Diet is not a good food. I suggest looking at the dog food ratings section http://www.englishbulldognews.com/DogFoodAnalysis.html on this site. 4, 5 and 6 star foods are good. 6 is considered the best but the 6 star foods have ALOT of protein and that isn't necessarily the best bully diet. You should also check out the before and after dog food page, it's amazing how much a difference a good food will make. My handsome Sam is on there :) Sad to see how pitiful he looked before I knew better. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/DogFood-Then_And_Now.html

OP
J

jwjbama

Jul 27, 2010
Madison, Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
I've certainly been alarmed by the comments regarding Science Diet, and want to get her off as quickly and safely as possible. I wanted to keep her on it for a while, and try not to upset her tummy as I worked in the new food. I'll have more pics up tomorrow and you'll see some full-body shots. I just love her to death! I've wanted an EB since I was about 10 years old.... that's 27 years. Almost bought one about 10 years ago, ironically named Rosie.

Regarding Tessa, she is named after my first "crush". I couldn't believe my wife wanted to use that name, but I guess the fact that I was in 3rd grade and Tessa was in 8th grade didn't bother the wife too bad!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.