Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Typial growth cycle

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Typial growth cycle

Yes I would say first thing is to get a good food, not science diet. Not sure how much you have read on here but there are many topics on food and tear stain suggestions. You can do a search in the box at the top of the page and look back at what has been said previously and also ask anything here again. We love to help as much as we can. Make sure a food change is slow enough to not upset the bully tummies. Most seem to be sensitive to change and you will know by the poops if it is too fast. Also there are many ideas on how to get rid of tear stains although I havent tried them all personally to give advice there. Food is a big issue tho when it comes to that stuff.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Rosie is sooo pretty, she looks ALL English Bulldog to me. I bet she just needs to grow into her body. And how weird, I have met VERY FEW other Tessa's in my life! Dried beet pulp in the food can make tear stains worse. Samson used to have tear stains when he was on Nutro but after I switched to Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish they cleared up. Natural Balance offers a line of foods that are grain free (alot of bully owners opt for grain free) and limited ingredient for allergies that seem to be real popular among bully owners. Besides the fish one I mentioned there is also a vension, duck, etc recipes. Alot of people have been recommending Fromm lately and I actually started switching Sam over on Sunday, so far so good. Science Diet is not a good food. I suggest looking at the dog food ratings section http://www.englishbulldognews.com/DogFoodAnalysis.html on this site. 4, 5 and 6 star foods are good. 6 is considered the best but the 6 star foods have ALOT of protein and that isn't necessarily the best bully diet. You should also check out the before and after dog food page, it's amazing how much a difference a good food will make. My handsome Sam is on there Sad to see how pitiful he looked before I knew better. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/Do...n_And_Now.html

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie
    Likes (Received)

I've certainly been alarmed by the comments regarding Science Diet, and want to get her off as quickly and safely as possible. I wanted to keep her on it for a while, and try not to upset her tummy as I worked in the new food. I'll have more pics up tomorrow and you'll see some full-body shots. I just love her to death! I've wanted an EB since I was about 10 years old.... that's 27 years. Almost bought one about 10 years ago, ironically named Rosie.

Regarding Tessa, she is named after my first "crush". I couldn't believe my wife wanted to use that name, but I guess the fact that I was in 3rd grade and Tessa was in 8th grade didn't bother the wife too bad!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie
    Likes (Received)

two shots taken tonight. Quality isn't great - they were taken with my phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -snc00162-2-jpg   -snc00167-2-jpg  

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Awww she's so cute! Shes got ear freckles, how adorable! I would go with Fromm or Avoderm- cuz those are my favs Avoderm is more easily accessible, but Fromm is a better food of the two.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Rosie is just adorable! Are her eyes blue? Or is it just the light?

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I think she's a beautiful dog and you are lucky to have her but I have to be honest, the last two pics you posted read more like an English Bulldog/American Bulldog mix to me. I could be wrong but she is very, very tall for an English Bulldog pup. I think you mentioned she was 15 weeks? Are you certain she's that young? I am just thinking of my puppy who is 15 weeks and the other bullies I've had at 15/16 weeks and they were definitely not that tall. All dogs are different of course, she could just be a tall bulldog. Looking at the first two shots, her face is an English Bulldog but the last two aren't as convincing.

Nevertheless, she is a cutie pie, love her polka dotted ear.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Now I am looking again - do you have another pic of her next to something for scale? Maybe it's just the photos that make her look taller/bigger than she is...sorry! I am no help.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have 2 EB and neither one of them look like the "AKC standard" EB. Vegas is tall and long bodied. His head is a bit smaller and chest not as "bully". Orion is petite all over. She is 14 months old and barely tips the scale at 34 pds. (Vegas is 68 pds) Orion still looks like a puppy, except she's dropped most of the body fat.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie
    Likes (Received)

I'll try to respond to all in one post. Her eyes aren't blue, it was just the picture. I didn't take it, but it was sent by her original owner. She's about 14-15 inches tall right now. I had an American English Bulldog about 13 years ago, and I can't really remember how their growth compares. Butkus did have a much longer snout, and he grew to nearly waist-high on me (I'm 5'10"). I can't be sure about the age, and I was just going with the information I was given from the previous owner. I have the breeder's name in a file at home, and i'll contact them to verify a few things.
    Last edited by jwjbama; 08-18-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Newbie Become a 4 Paw Member jlirette's Avatar
    Real Name
    John Lirette
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis
    Likes (Received)

I'm having the same concerns as far as height. Otis is 15 weeks old and 13"tall. What adult height should we expect? How did Rosie turn out

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jlirette View Post
    I'm having the same concerns as far as height. Otis is 15 weeks old and 13"tall. What adult height should we expect? How did Rosie turn out
    Just so you know.. This is a very old thread! I'm not certain this member is still active! I do want to tell you..bulldogs
    Grow tall the first year and go through a very unbully stage! In their second and even into their third year, is when they widen and fill out! Feel free to post a new thread of your own with your concerns too!
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 07-18-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads