Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bumps on Back and Sides Very sensitive

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lord Wallace (Wally)

Default Bumps on Back and Sides Very sensitive

Hi all,
    We boarded Wally for a few days and when he got back, he developed these pretty big bumps all over his back and sides. They seem to really irritate him. Even when his leash touches his back he drops into a sit to get away. When you actually touch them or even goes near him he quivers and tries to get away. We took him to the vet and he determined that it was an allergic reaction, and they probably didn't rinse him well enough when they bathed him. He gave him a cortisone shot and put him on two weeks of 200mg Simplicef. Well it's only been a few days but the bumps are there and even a bit worse. We spoke to the vet again and he said to give him 2 benedryl up to 3 times a day and we are going to pick up some prednisone ointment.
    Does this seem like we are heading in the right direction? We don't have the a ton of confidence in our vet so any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quit lugging those big bags of dog food and running that extra errand,
    and get it delivered right to your door- shipped for FREE from Petflow!
    (Please use our link so EBN gets sponsor credit.)
    Ready to try Petflow? Click Here!
    Click here to read testimonials from members who already order from Petflow!

Support Our Community! Become a 4 Paw Member and you will no longer view these ads or this post.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies

Default Re: Bumps on Back and Sides Very sensitive

Have you ever had a full blood screen allergy test done on Wally? If it were an allergic reaction it should not be getting worse if he is now home and if it is from the shampoo, then would rinsing him help?

Where do you live? Is there a bully vet on the list or recommendations near you that you could get a second opinion
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your life.
    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Where do you live? Is there a bully vet on the list or recommendations near you that you could get a second opinion
    Yes! By all means, please share your location with our members so you can look to getting a vet you feel confident in! The "guesswork" of a vet who doesn't really know and understand the breed costs time and money. And anxiousness! (the worst part) If you're anywhere near Mukilteo, WA, I got a guy for you! Dr. Terry Beatty rocks!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lord Wallace (Wally)

Thanks all. We live in Northern VA. The closest recommended Bulldog vet is about 1.5 hours away. We are going to take him there for a full one year check up in a couple of weeks (he was actually born there) but it's just not feasible when these issues pop up and we need to get him somewhere fast after work or something. He's a bit over a year now so could we get a full blood work up done on him while we are there to look for allergies?
    Thanks as always for all the help!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post
    Thanks all. We live in Northern VA. The closest recommended Bulldog vet is about 1.5 hours away. We are going to take him there for a full one year check up in a couple of weeks (he was actually born there) but it's just not feasible when these issues pop up and we need to get him somewhere fast after work or something. He's a bit over a year now so could we get a full blood work up done on him while we are there to look for allergies? Thanks as always for all the help!
    Yes, as long as he has not been on any oral steroids for at least 30 days... ask then to draw the blood and send it for the allergy screening. Also, ask them if there are any bulldog knowledgable vets in your area, they may be aware of one or some close to you
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your life.
    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha Bubbles

I am thinking you should bathe him with selsum blue and do give him his benadryll. Dry him very good and apply ointment on them. Could it be bug bites???
    LisaMarie

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy, BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie

If he is not better by tomorrow I would make the 1.5 hour trip to a good bully vet. he needs the right meds to get better quick. Poor boy, keep us posted.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and TOGA.
    Bully hugs from - Buddy, BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

Can you post pictures of these bumps, maybe someone on here has dealt with the same issue before @pdac1975
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake

Jake has gotten a few bumps lately. When I touch them, his skin quivers and he starts to scratch..I treat them as a food or environmental allergy. I wash them with hibiclens (diluted) and I use Maloket wipes on them a few times a day. They have always dried up and gone away in a few days without meds. I wonder if Wally's could be stress related. Just from the change of being boarded.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lord Wallace (Wally)

That's a great point JAKEISGREAT, he could very well be stressed. We have maloket wipes so maybe I will try that. It sounds like exactly what you are describing. Sherry, unfortunately they are under the fur so there is really no way to see them. You have to feel them.
    Thanks all for the help. I'm sure he'll be fine soon. Just hate to see him uncomfortable!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

That sounds live hives to me.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post
    That's a great point JAKEISGREAT, he could very well be stressed. We have maloket wipes so maybe I will try that. It sounds like exactly what you are describing. Sherry, unfortunately they are under the fur so there is really no way to see them. You have to feel them.
    Thanks all for the help. I'm sure he'll be fine soon. Just hate to see him uncomfortable!
    Yes..and I really saturate them with the wipes. They sound exactly like Jake's. It's hard to get the wipes on them because their fur is so thick..but just spread the hair the best you can and really get the moistness on the bumps. Do it every day for a few days and I bet they will start to dry up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    That sounds live hives to me.
    Yes! I think they are hives!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast