Bumps on Back and Sides Very sensitive

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OK. Since we're playing Hive Show N Tell, allow me to share too! :D<== here's Bea's first and WORST case of hives; folks here will remember me freaking out.....This was horrible! Benedryl brought them down...two 25mg pills.

Otherwise, Bea and Bo's small hive outbreaks (which we've not had in a VERY long time) remind me of mosquito bites and are normally just on the underside of them.

OMG --- that looks amazingly painful. OUCH!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
OMG --- that looks amazingly painful. OUCH!

They do, don't they? But they didn't seem to hurt her - just itch like crazy! I also smeared some hydrocortizone goo on them too...while we were waiting for the Benedryl to kick in. Ugh. I never want to go thru that again.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They do, don't they? But they didn't seem to hurt her - just itch like crazy! I also smeared some hydrocortizone goo on them too...while we were waiting for the Benedryl to kick in. Ugh. I never want to go thru that again.

Banks suffers from them too... we only know it is something outside, we are thinking a bite from something:

IMG_4991.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

Preppydot

Apr 12, 2011
Arlington, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wally
I just wanted to echo my husband's thanks to everyone for all of your help with Wally's allergic reaction problem. Hopefully after the Selsum Blue bath, and a little tlc he will be back to normal shortly. He had a staph infection several weeks ago and it seems like the staph came back during the breakout from the shampoo. The staph bacteria has gotten into the bumps - but now it seems to be drying up and causing the "dandruff". Wally's a fighter though and he'll pull through. Just not fun to watch him be so uncomfortable. Thanks again everyone for all of your guidance. We really appreciate the support and suggestions.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
the best shampoo ive found is malaseb its prescription but it lasts for ages it really works well on an itchy dog,as im againts using antibiotics unless i really have to then for annies itching this is as good as antibiotics for her skin anyway,ive tried every otc antihistamine and nothing helps her ,have to say though it would be easier giving her antihistamines than bathing her lol,karen

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Hi guys! So as most of you thought, Wally's bumps have now dried up and he's now a scabby dandruffy mess (his back was absolutely covered with the bumps). I have two types of Selsun Blue both for dry scalp. One has pyrithione zinc 1% and the other has selinium sulfide 1%. Will either of these work? I'd like to wash him tonight to try and mosturize his skin a little. All the scabs are falling off with clumps of hair. The main thing is though that he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort now so it's just a matter of getting his skin moisturized.
Thanks as always for the great advice!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi guys! So as most of you thought, Wally's bumps have now dried up and he's now a scabby dandruffy mess (his back was absolutely covered with the bumps). I have two types of Selsun Blue both for dry scalp. One has pyrithione zinc 1% and the other has selinium sulfide 1%. Will either of these work? I'd like to wash him tonight to try and mosturize his skin a little. All the scabs are falling off with clumps of hair. The main thing is though that he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort now so it's just a matter of getting his skin moisturized.
Thanks as always for the great advice!

This more sounding like a staph infection... unless I missed something along the post, did you have the vet check him? Nitschke had this once and that is exactly what happen with him -- they started out looking like a pimple or hive and then -- to what you describe above.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We do use Selsen Blue followed by Oster oatmeal shampoo (because I really don't care for the medicated smell of the Selsen Blue) but HRH hasn't ever has a skin problem that serious. We started using it for relatively minor rash issues caused because she is a neurotic leg licker.

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
This more sounding like a staph infection... unless I missed something along the post, did you have the vet check him? Nitschke had this once and that is exactly what happen with him -- they started out looking like a pimple or hive and then -- to what you describe above.

Hello and yes, you are correct!
He had a staff infection a couple months ago and it appears that when he was boarded for a couple of days it came back, probably from stress. The vet checked him as soon as the bumps developed and we are treating him for the staff infection with antibiotics. It appears to be almost gone, we are now just dealing with the aftermath, which is not pretty! Poor guy has a couple of red bald spots but he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort anymore. Thanks as always for everyone's help!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello and yes, you are correct!
He had a staff infection a couple months ago and it appears that when he was boarded for a couple of days it came back, probably from stress. The vet checked him as soon as the bumps developed and we are treating him for the staff infection with antibiotics. It appears to be almost gone, we are now just dealing with the aftermath, which is not pretty! Poor guy has a couple of red bald spots but he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort anymore. Thanks as always for everyone's help!

Poor Wally.... I remember Nitschke was miserable during his. We did not do anything special for his bath after the infection was done and we were dealing with the spots and dandruff, but we did up his fish oil to 1200mg 2x a day. also, make sure you keep him on the antibiotics long enough to totally clear it out of his system -- staph is a real b$%ch to get over.

Members online

No members online now.