Bumps on Back and Sides Very sensitive

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
these bumps usually dry up after a few days they look worse than they are and are probably a reaction to something,stress is also a massive factor with these dogs though most of them look and act fine i think underneath they are nervy and insecure and very needy so any slight change causes stress which in turn can throw the immune system which in turn throws up the hotspots,hives and allergy symptoms ,dont forget that if antibiotics are given orally then follow up with acidophilus for a couple of weeks to help the gut recover from the antibiotics,karen

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Luckily he hasn't developed Orchids yet but I'll keep an eye out! :tongue: In the meantime, it seems the bumps are getting smaller and smoother. Now he has some nice dandruff going on which I assume is just the irritated skin/scabs coming off. We generally give him a very small amount of Zantac once in a while for his stomach which really seems to help. So is the consensus that we should bath him and wash him with Selsun Blue? The human kind?
Thanks again for all the help! I know in the grand scheme of things this is a minor issue but it's still nice to get the advice and we hate to see our boy uncomfortable!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes the selsun blue will also help with the dandruff.

The only downside to selsun blue is it does not make white fur very bright, and if you use it often (like if you bath more than once a month) the fur can get an orange tinge to it. It will still be white-- with a bit of orange tinge.

I am going to continue to experiment with the Garnier Fruitice (sp?) dandruff shampoo (it was the 2 in 1 version)-- I got such excellent results with it I am going to try it continuously for the next couple months and see how well it works.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
How often are you supposed to bathe them? I had read when only when they were visibly soiled to prevent drying up their skin? from reading this thread I take it that is wrong info.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How often are you supposed to bathe them? I had read when only when they were visibly soiled to prevent drying up their skin? from reading this thread I take it that is wrong info.

I bathe only when they REALLY need it... my vet, groomer and breeder all have said not to do so unless they are, as you say soiled. So, not counting the time they play in the pool or with the hose, they get a bath maybe ever three to four months. Mind you, my guys are not outside that much

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
All I know..is all this hive and orchid talk..Jake got a bath this morning! I told him..it's ALL Wally's fault!

Haha, tell him Wally apologizes. Speaking of Jake, any recent pictures of Jake? I haven't seen any in a while and if I recall he's about the same age as Wally.

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
I bathe only when they REALLY need it... my vet, groomer and breeder all have said not to do so unless they are, as you say soiled. So, not counting the time they play in the pool or with the hose, they get a bath maybe ever three to four months. Mind you, my guys are not outside that much

That's good to know. We don't bath Wally all that much either since he's rarely outside on a leash to take care of business. He never seems to smell.
This experience with the hives or whatever they were (whether it really was caused by the bath he received at daycare or not) has only reinforced that policy.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=2087]pdac1975[/MENTION] this is Dolly on hives

004.jpg

017.jpg this is Dolly one week later without hives.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Haha, tell him Wally apologizes. Speaking of Jake, any recent pictures of Jake? I haven't seen any in a while and if I recall he's about the same age as Wally.

I think I've posted a couple pictures lately! And I actually did a video! I'll find and tag you! Yes..I think they are almost exactly the same age..Jake was one on November 29th! I'd like some Wally pics too!! :clap:
@pdac1975 this is Dolly on hives

View attachment 16707

View attachment 16708 this is Dolly one week later without hives.

Wow..Sherry..poor Dolly...that makes ME itch..and such a quick turnaround!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gator also would get hives like Dolly. We finally decided it was from a bug bite. I am glad he is feeling better. I also wanted to say that you don't necessarily need a bully vet for some minor issues, just a GOOD vet will do. I would certainly look for someone else if you don't feel yours is doing the job you expect. I have not used the bully vet near us but I feel that three of the four vets in our practice are knowledgeable and have been great. One, not so much so I just tell them I prefer not to see her if they try to schedule us with her. Plus my vet has a great vet tech that has bullies :).

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I think I've posted a couple pictures lately! And I actually did a video! I'll find and tag you! Yes..I think they are almost exactly the same age..Jake was one on November 29th! I'd like some Wally pics too!! :clap:

Wow..Sherry..poor Dolly...that makes ME itch..and such a quick turnaround!

Strict diet of Benedryl three times a day and kept indoors. I thought too, at first, that it was bug bites. but nobody else got them. and they weren't out of the yard. I contributed it to environmental. It was when the leaves started falling. Once they were down and raked up , the hives were gone also.

silly hives

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i would love to bathe sarah much less. i have to soak her feet twice a week and bathe her once a week in yeast shampoo . if not she gets itchy and the yeast gets worse. but otherwise i would not except if she got dirty or something like that.
sarah also had a breakout of hives like 3 weeks ago for several days but i have decided that was from the rainy weather we were having. as soon as the sun came out the hives went away.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
OK. Since we're playing Hive Show N Tell, allow me to share too! :D

P7200007.jpg <== here's Bea's first and WORST case of hives; folks here will remember me freaking out.....This was horrible! Benedryl brought them down...two 25mg pills.

Otherwise, Bea and Bo's small hive outbreaks (which we've not had in a VERY long time) remind me of mosquito bites and are normally just on the underside of them.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.