Bumps on Back and Sides Very sensitive

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Hi all,
We boarded Wally for a few days and when he got back, he developed these pretty big bumps all over his back and sides. They seem to really irritate him. Even when his leash touches his back he drops into a sit to get away. When you actually touch them or even goes near him he quivers and tries to get away. We took him to the vet and he determined that it was an allergic reaction, and they probably didn't rinse him well enough when they bathed him. He gave him a cortisone shot and put him on two weeks of 200mg Simplicef. Well it's only been a few days but the bumps are there and even a bit worse. We spoke to the vet again and he said to give him 2 benedryl up to 3 times a day and we are going to pick up some prednisone ointment.
Does this seem like we are heading in the right direction? We don't have the a ton of confidence in our vet so any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you ever had a full blood screen allergy test done on Wally? If it were an allergic reaction it should not be getting worse if he is now home and if it is from the shampoo, then would rinsing him help?

Where do you live? Is there a bully vet on the list or recommendations near you that you could get a second opinion

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Where do you live? Is there a bully vet on the list or recommendations near you that you could get a second opinion

Yes! By all means, please share your location with our members so you can look to getting a vet you feel confident in! The "guesswork" of a vet who doesn't really know and understand the breed costs time and money. And anxiousness! (the worst part) If you're anywhere near Mukilteo, WA, I got a guy for you! Dr. Terry Beatty rocks!

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Thanks all. We live in Northern VA. The closest recommended Bulldog vet is about 1.5 hours away. We are going to take him there for a full one year check up in a couple of weeks (he was actually born there) but it's just not feasible when these issues pop up and we need to get him somewhere fast after work or something. He's a bit over a year now so could we get a full blood work up done on him while we are there to look for allergies?
Thanks as always for all the help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks all. We live in Northern VA. The closest recommended Bulldog vet is about 1.5 hours away. We are going to take him there for a full one year check up in a couple of weeks (he was actually born there) but it's just not feasible when these issues pop up and we need to get him somewhere fast after work or something. He's a bit over a year now so could we get a full blood work up done on him while we are there to look for allergies? Thanks as always for all the help!

Yes, as long as he has not been on any oral steroids for at least 30 days... ask then to draw the blood and send it for the allergy screening. Also, ask them if there are any bulldog knowledgable vets in your area, they may be aware of one or some close to you

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I am thinking you should bathe him with selsum blue and do give him his benadryll. Dry him very good and apply ointment on them. Could it be bug bites???

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If he is not better by tomorrow I would make the 1.5 hour trip to a good bully vet. he needs the right meds to get better quick. Poor boy, keep us posted.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Can you post pictures of these bumps, maybe someone on here has dealt with the same issue before [MENTION=2087]pdac1975[/MENTION]

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake has gotten a few bumps lately. When I touch them, his skin quivers and he starts to scratch..I treat them as a food or environmental allergy. I wash them with hibiclens (diluted) and I use Maloket wipes on them a few times a day. They have always dried up and gone away in a few days without meds. I wonder if Wally's could be stress related. Just from the change of being boarded.

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
That's a great point JAKEISGREAT, he could very well be stressed. We have maloket wipes so maybe I will try that. It sounds like exactly what you are describing. Sherry, unfortunately they are under the fur so there is really no way to see them. You have to feel them.
Thanks all for the help. I'm sure he'll be fine soon. Just hate to see him uncomfortable!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
That's a great point JAKEISGREAT, he could very well be stressed. We have maloket wipes so maybe I will try that. It sounds like exactly what you are describing. Sherry, unfortunately they are under the fur so there is really no way to see them. You have to feel them.
Thanks all for the help. I'm sure he'll be fine soon. Just hate to see him uncomfortable!

Yes..and I really saturate them with the wipes. They sound exactly like Jake's. It's hard to get the wipes on them because their fur is so thick..but just spread the hair the best you can and really get the moistness on the bumps. Do it every day for a few days and I bet they will start to dry up.

That sounds live hives to me.

Yes! I think they are hives!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would also wash him with selsun blue, rinse well then rinse with 25% white vinegar 75% water.

Molly had the orchids recently from me being a bad mama and neglecting to bath her on her normal schedule. She did have some hives. I was almost out of Selsun blue and so instead I used garnier fruitice (sp?) dandruff 2 in 1 shampoo (with conditioner).... And a bit of topical steriod, along with 2 hydroxizine (similar to benedryl) And she was 100% better in the morning. My oldest son told me I was a bad mama for not bathing her for so long. He was right! Never again!

My point is, if you have not bathed yet, make it a priority. It will remove the possible irritant off the fur. In our case a tree in our yard dropped a ton of pollen on the ground, I am sure it was the source. We also watered that pollen down in our yard to wash it away.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The orchids??? Gotta love auto correct. It should say HIVES!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How did my iPod got orchids from the word hives I will never know....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online